FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Ivan Baldo

Ivan Baldo Registered

I don't understand why it is so complex... you cannot modify the sim to be able to specify a range of brake temperature and % of random chance to lock up the brakes (a spike of force from the brakes that you must release the pedal to unbreak)? So at first you have that chance, then when they heat you are safe (0% of chance)...
    How do real F1 drivers heat up the brakes? In the formation lap? And then in lap 1 the brakes are ok or there is some chance of lockup?
    If they do it, then we should too. If the engineers give them info with the radio, then we should have the same info too (automatically) and know what to do.
    Simracing takes a lot of learning, I don't mind having more things to learn, I find that fun as well, new simracers also can start with other cars instead of jumping directly to an F1, then some friend could teach them or they could read about it, etc...
    So, I don't understand why is it so difficult to code and also don't understand why people don't want that feature, maybe it could be disabled like engine failures and such.
    Thanks! :)

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I don't think you understood what I have said in the last few posts. As stated, I don't think the complexity is fully understood as for what is being asked for, or what was answered. I also don't think I said there would be no simulation of this at all, you already have it with tires, etc... These people were just asking for more complexity, and that's frankly not possible right now.

3. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Even better is that of the 20 drivers half will crash in turn 1 and 4 will finish a 10 lap race :D I have hardly seen 10 people on a single server yet so good luck even getting one team together to start up one virtual car lol.

I dont see any reason to go to such levels and why would you need to do all this when in the end its just a game/sim. If someone is truly so interested in this aspect that most find boring they would likely enjoy the engineering degree and then work for a real race team where you can do it for real.

4. osella

osella Registered

Simulating some parts of racing is way too extreme, it would make the sim more boring and time consuming while not really much harder.

If we should wait minutes until engine gets to operating temperature, wait for tyres until they feel comfortable in their blankets, why not also simulate days of travelling while switching from an US circuit to a Japanese circuit lol.

Brakes are exception though, I would really like to see at least some simplified biting of the cold brakes as thats really important part of managing the car.
    In reality theres a giant difference between using carbon/ceramic/other brakes, currently they all behave exactly the same..

5. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

I agree, more realism! About the the 10 people team it could be AI controlled "bots" with an option to be played by real humans, lol. And also what shouldnt be so hard to implement now with realtrack tech(?) would be oil/water and other liquids on the track after incidents. And cant for example the steering be more affected from incidents by having jerky forcefeedback (for example to simulate bended rods or that the front-wheels touches the body or smth) and so on, not just affect the wheel centering. :-D

6. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

It really doesn't work this way. If it did, it would no longer be a simulation.

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

As every one knows:D I'm not a big lover of the open wheelers but this F2 is fantastic:)

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Apparently so, hehehe, nice lap btw, looked pretty good from where I am sitting. :)

9. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Thanks mate,it was a decent lap not really a very good lap(that braking with the 2° gear was awful!actually I use a lower FOV(25-28) but in this replay I used 37!

10. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Is it a known issue that break ducts don't have any influence on break temps in this mod at all? Or is it just me? I can't see a difference on ingame or motec temperature readings no matter if break ducts are opened or closed completely or partially taped. Only variance is down to better/worse laps and in the range of 10-20°C. Temperatures reach ~590°C at the end of the long straigt in Mid Ohio which seems way to low with the discussion on carbon breaks on the last pages in mind. Sure, Mid Ohio has few breaking points and long straights, but still there should be a big difference between different duct settings.

11. 88mphTim

I'm not actually sure if brake temps are doing anything yet...

12. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Oh, but they are, well at least with cars I'm making, you see Johannes made nice test track, there is one huge hill, when I travel down the hill and try to stop land yacht with emulated drum brakes, there certainly is fade effect as I can stand on brakes and speed is barely decreasing after getting them enough hot, they don't even heat anymore after some point as fade is so bad.

Not sure about those ducts if they are operating yet, haven't tested them, but brake temp itself does work and reduces brake torque as set in brake response curve parameter.

13. 88mphTim

Ah, great. I have three versions of the software, and have a lot on my mind anyway, it's easy to have no idea what is going on. ;)

14. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Great Tim, can i have the latest version please, i wont tell no one ;)

Much longer till we get the new track ?.

15. sg333

sg333 Registered

+1

16. 88mphTim

They're currently planting it's trees. It's getting closer. :)

17. baked bean

baked bean Registered

lol Well make sure they get plenty of water:)

18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

And pee, they grow much faster with enough pee. But if it is Pine that they plant, it can easily take 30 years to have them grown to some size, over 60 years to full size, oh yes that does apply only to area where I live, everything grows slowly here.

19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

10 years on a good pine stand and you have enough lumber to build a house :)

20. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Pinus Sylvestris here can live more than 100 years, at best it grows 1m a year, when young, is at good height in 60 years (100-150 years when at full height), but that is at south, where I live it takes longer than that, but also pine will live lot longer easily 200 years, up north even over 500 years, oldest known is 800 years. Tallest one known has been 37 meters, I'm pretty sure that in more livable places those can grow lot bigger.

Our growing season is rather short, for pine it is around 2 months each year, that affects a lot what you see around our race tracks of course, there is also big changes during growth season on sceneries of our race tracks. Early season when tracks open there is just plain nothingess and some trees far away, in 10 years those far away trees look almost the same though, but at end of summer there are lot more stuff around tracks, something that probably never has been brought to sim world.

Finnish tracks are thus quite easy to make if you make early spring versions, just plain yellowish ground does the trick mostly, not very nice looking when driving of course. As I posted links to Keimola track to wishlist section, one can see just how much trees grow in 40 years or so, even today one can see track profile from air as forest grows so slowly here, in some other places 10 years results same level of forests.

For anyone interest to know more of our trees, one could try to translate this page with google translate and try to guess what an earth they are talking about, it is not very good with finnish language.
    http://www.helsinki.fi/metsatieteet/arboretum/puulajit/pinus_sylvestris.html