FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Sounds a bit like rF2 won't be supporting the "grab" hehe.

2. tjc

tjc Registered

Think this is it?

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Only really that he never went fast enough to get them where they needed to be... He really didn't drive an F1 car, he drove a car with F1 specs, with none of the components within operating specs...

The thing with simulators, at least at the moment, is that on a commercial product like rF2 most of the work the drivers do to get things in proper operating specs is done for you, but you do still have to think about a few things. Tires being the main issue.

4. 88mphTim

I don't remember if it was this one, and I don't have time to watch at the mo. Clarkson has also driven a 'customer' Lotus F1 car, and he didn't get the car to proper operating temps either.

5. vicent-sollana

vicent-sollana Registered

Maybe is this?

6. tjc

tjc Registered

Do you think the day will come Tim where sims do have all of these "options" (for want of a better word) included?

It`s maybe a bit "hardcore" to try and do all the stuff real life drivers do to get the car at the optimal level for performance but it would be very interesting to have those choices...

7. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Flight sims do it sometime now.

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Might be the one vicent-sollana has linked to indeed...

The thing is, that most of us would struggle if we jumped into a real F3 car or high powered GT let alone a modern (or vintage for that matter) F1 car. I`d quite like it if rf2 had this level of realism included as it would be very interesting to see how things went but I realise that not everyone would welcome a sim with this level of realism... maybe we could have it as an option though. :)

9. tjc

tjc Registered

I`ve quite fancied trying a decent flight sim for some time now but just never got round to it...

Someday. :)

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Its pretty hard with all realistic settings turned on, you must remember a giantic check list, it takes me ages to get off the ground.
    I suspect pretty same will happen to sim racing if all goes real.

Ive heard though from people around here that many are interested in such idea.

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

It would be interesting at first, but would it really add to the enjoyment of the sim? Do we really want to spend so much time getting the engine oil temp, water temp, tire temp, brake temp etc up to race levels prior to an event, only to have some guy take his time getting on track causing all that to be for nothing?

I much prefer it like it is currently so I Don't have to worry about forgetting to plug in the tire warmers between stints. :)

And yes Tim you are right, he never got the car up to operating specs. he was too afraid of driving the car to do so. I am surprised that they didn't have someone else take the car out and get it up to specs for him to test. I guess they wanted to scare him hehehe.

12. 88mphTim

Yes, that's the Clarkson one I meant. :)

1 person likes this.
  13. 88mphTim

Not soon at all, but eventually it could happen.

For example, think of fluid dynamics, now thing of fluid dynamics inside a moving object. Now think of those fluids changing with temperatures, etc. Now you have all the pieces and parts reacting to those differences, and then how those objects and differences change the fluid which affected them... You essentially are talking about programming chaos theory into a simulator, and I don't think anybody is even close to that. Even weather models, climate change models, everything, isn't even close to that.

14. 88mphTim

I don't think it adds fun, but it does add a 'difference'. The important thing, really, is whether another driver is better at it than you are, and that his car performs because of it. Although, IMHO, it doesn't need to be much more complex than what we already have to effectively simulate it.

15. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Odp: FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Don't take Top Gear too seriously... in the end, it's just a show ;)

16. 88mphTim

They do it in the same manner as the better racing sims do, the racing sims just automate it. As I said above, we're not far off being able to simulate that already, we already have the tire model that (with adjustment), will be there.

I'm not talking about flicking switches and waiting, I'm talking about the driver having to move the physical object to create the environment where that objects runs best, not the object doing it by adjustment of controls. With all due respect, one man can fly a modern plane, one man cannot run an F1 car. It takes a team of engineers to prepare the car before the driver sits in it, it takes constant monitoring from the pits via telemetry for the driver to know when things are correct. I think the suggestion of doing a full on simulation shows a bit of a lack of understanding of the complexities, and where computing power is at (still far behind being able to model some of these things in realtime) really. :)

17. 88mphTim

Agreed. But these are guys who drive a lot of cars. Very technical cars. Cars that most of us would stall, every time. They are fairly good at it, so their experience should put it into perspective for the rest of us. :)

First time I drove a Dodge Viper, I stalled it. Second time, I made sure I didn't, and left a cloud of tiresmoke behind me. I didn't have the clutch control experience from road cars, etc, to do it without lighting them up. That's the main point really... These cars take a team to operate them, and a driver working with that team, knowing what to do.

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh I hear what saying Gearjammer... I know it could even become a tad "boring" maybe to do all this sort of thing but it would also be quite interesting imo to have the option of going through that process and seeing how well you could manage it... if it were to ever be implemented by a dev team it would have to something that was an option that could be toggled on/off.

19. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh, I have to agree... this does sound like a lot of work... would be quite interesting though but something for the future then. :)

20. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

Just imagine an online F1 race with 200 guys connected but only 20 cars running. How awesome would it be to be the guy who gets to monitor the knock sensors or hydraulics pressure all race.......... not!!! ;)