FIA Formula Two Williams JPH1B Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 11, 2012.

1. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Which makes perfect sense, but how about F1 mods for example, will they be able to include that kind of control? :) I see you are not coding this if there is no need, but it would be great if you made existing code responsible for differential accessible to those who want to work with it on cars which have the ability to change it on the fly :)

Absolutely, that's why I'm requesting this with F1 cars in mind, I only wasn't aware F2 cars didn't have this kind of control :)
    (Otherwise we could just go and play mariokart...)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

A little sarcasm there wgeuze? I do agree that if the real cars for a particular year have a control on board, then by all means, add it to the sim as there are quite a number of people that will use it if available. I can think of occasions where I would even use the ability to adjust the lock on the diff while driving, for instance when the track starts to get damp from rain, or when it starts to dry out after the rain.

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Not at all, I think realism, to get as close as possible within certain limits to the real thing, is the reason why people choose a sim like rFactor2 over other titles. So yes, I fully agree with the statement made in that post :)

Agreed, although I still have to look into ways of using it because I'm not very technical when it comes to these things.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Mods that YOU make, certainly. You would be able to make any fictional thing, including the various code we have made available. Using the turbo code, with DRS, with whatever car, etc. I just mean that our officially license cars will have the same rules and limitations (where possible) to the real thing.

5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Thanks for the clarification, and about that last thing, thats exactly what I would expect ;)

With the new image you guys released, I think my (already answered) question will answer itself later as we take that babyfor a spin :D

My god I can't wait, I'm building a new desktop this weekend and don't have the money to buy the graphics card and rF2 yet, frustrating!

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

There are 2 different kinds of aids and its hard to know what kind a certain series or racecar uses.

There are the aids like traction control, that are designed to be safer and make driving the car easier, but a real good driver with no aids will still be faster.

Then there are the aids like the traction control in previous f1 years (and probably motogp and maybe other series too) that are much more complex, and they are actually used as a "tool" to make the car even faster, no matter how good the driver is, rather than an aid to help people from spinning. On average, i usually heard that its 2 to 3 tenths a lap faster.

This was not a safety aid, but an electronic tool to make your car even faster, just like a double diffuser, a wing, stickier tyres, an f-duct, electronic differentials, etc

Teams would constantly be working on their complex electronics package, not because it helps their drivers not to spin (although it obviously helps with things like that and tyre wear aswell), but because it made the cars faster, even if you were the best driver in the world.

This is the problem in my view with the aids in RFactor, they are more the generic style "safety aids" rather than the performance "another tool to make the car even faster than even the very best driver" aids.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  7. Christian Rosén

Christian Rosén Registered

Exactly! Spinelli +1 :D

8. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Does anybody have any real world information on optimum break temperature? Since the physics files for this mod are encrypted there is no way getting any information on that from within rF2, is there?

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Typically carbon brakes don't do well until after 350 degrees and won't start to fade until around the 1100 degree mark. Prior to getting heated up, the brakes would be very touchy and would lock wheels easily, after you get to the overheat temp your brakes are not as effective and start to fall off rather rapidly. Seeing the brake rotors glow red on an F1 car is normal :)

Taken from http://formula1.about.com/od/car1/a/F1-Brakes-Are-Designed-For-Speed-As-Well-As-Slowing-Down.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012
  11. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Gonna tape those ducts then. :) Thanks

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If the brakes can provide enough stopping power to overcome the amount of grip of a tyre (lock up), then that means the brakes are definitely working good, and you are able to apply even more brake stopping force than the tyres can handle. If you are somehow locking brakes much more easily when they are cold, then that would indicate some sort of tyre grip problem (temps, pressures, wear, etc), and in that case it would be a problem with low tyre grip and not with brakes.

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Ask any real F1 pilot about how the brakes work cold. The fact is because of the material used, the brakes need to heat up in order to have a smooth transition of braking power based on pedal pressure. Cold carbon brakes will be erratic regardless of grip level of the tire. A good real world example would be getting oil on your brakes on your road car. With the oil there, you would think that your brakes would be less effective, but when cold, the oil will make the brakes "grab" and cause wheel lockup way before you would get lockup with normal pedal pressures. The same applies to the carbon fiber, it will "grab" more when cold and thus cause unexpected lockups.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So even when cold, they still provide enough stopping power to overcome the massive grip of the tyres and lock?

15. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Read the reports about schumi's accident in singapore. Both cold tyres, but also cold brakes were blamed!!!!! And in case you missed it, he blocked his tyres big time.

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Especially when cold they will overcome the grip of the tires and lock, usually when you least expect it to happen. The locking is not predictable when the brakes are cold. It does require pressure, but when the brakes grab, it doesn't happen gradually and you have to release the brakes almost fully in order to get them to let go. Regular PITA when the brakes are cold.

There was an episode of TopGear where one of the guys drove an F1 car. You can hear him talking about what he went through with the cold tires and brakes if you can find the episode.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So cool brakes don't affect the stopping power of the brakes, it just affects the smoothness/feel/comfort-ness of applying and modulating those brakes, but the actual stopping power itself isn't affected?

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If anything the stopping power is magnified because of the "grab" effect of the brakes. You can be going along fine on cold brakes, braking for a corner with a little extra room to allow for cold brakes, use a little lighter pedal and then suddenly out of nowhere your brakes lock due to them being cold. This is how it happens in real life. If you could predict when you were going to reach that "grab" point, there would be no issue, but unfortunately you can't predict exactly when it will happen so you have to work the brakes more gently and be ready to release for a half second to get the wheels to roll again.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that just a little. When the brakes are cold, they have a little less stopping power, but when the brakes grab when cold, they have a lot more stopping power. It would be like suddenly adding about 100 kilo's of weight to the pedal pressure randomly.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012
  19. osella

osella Registered

Wondering if rf2 simulates this in more detail than rf1, because rf1 engine doesnt support this behavior at all. There is no such random grab effect in rf1, you can only simulate bigger or smaller brake power drop off when outside the ideal range.

20. osella

osella Registered

ISI BMW F1 2007 has this:
    BrakeResponseCurve=(-70,540,700,1730)

Which means:
    at -70 there is only 50% brake torque
    from -70 to 540C b.t. increases linearly up to 100%
    from 540 to 700 is 100%
    from 700 to 1730 b.t. decreases linearly until 50%
    from 1730 to infinity b.t. is 50%.