rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FOG>Daheee

FOG>Daheee Registered

Yea I am sure I read that they would be telling us the release date by the end of the week. And that is 3 weeks ago now??

2. bleco

bleco Registered

iRacing is all about realism ... AI racing simulation will never get as realistic as human controlled opponents so I really don't think they will ever release some kind of AI ... and this is certainly not because they are lazy!!?? These guys are constantly updating the sim and adding new features ... Also you won't loose your content or setups if you don't renew your membership right away ... yes it's kind of expensive but what you pay is what you get, the best current racing simulator period ...

I am really looking forward for rFactor 2 and I hope it's as good or even better then iRacing 2.0 that is coming really soon (good luck!)... but I am really not impressed about the previews they released so far and until ISI annonces an official release date and release a clear cockpit gameplay footage video, this title remains a myth for me ...

Bleco

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011
  3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It really is odd that they are this far along and they still haven't been able to produce ingame footage. I really am not that concerned though. I would be happy with the existing rF1 gfx engine but with physics/tire/gui/admin improvements.

4. Alesi

Alesi Registered

ISI makes strange politics for their RF2.. no video, no photo.. even no date of release... why??? every company that makes games try to attract players, post videos, photos, show progress or demo videos.. but ISI nothing... (and even those photos that you post, shows that you are in the initial phase of game development, or at least they should be done long ago... pity(((
    and we have not tried yet the physics of cars, tires, tracks, weather ... what work was done (under way) in this direction? where u takes data of how tires work, wears and etc. (for example, Iracing has developed a new tires, which were tested but not only players but professionals, and what about ISI? Iracing makes some updates for game and what about ISI?

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

ISI is working hard, give them some time.
    Everyone there is focussing rF2 even over private interests.
    They started showing stuff but the community did not understand that this were wip shots and a lot of critic came up, too much.
    I think they ll not risk showing some shots with unfinished graphics until the new graphics stuff is in, which is not yet.

I am sure you will get further information very soon, just keep cool for some more days.

Iracing tires are nice, rf2 tires are better, for sure ;).

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I believe community understand what WIP does mean. But we were disappointed about developing progress. That's all.

7. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

There is no reason to be disappointed, tons of new stuff are made are invisible for you on screenshots.

8. JoshJ81

JoshJ81 Registered

Who says they haven't been able to make in-game footage? What was the rain video we saw, not from rF2, cause I thought it was? I would like to see a release date as well but that will not please everyone because they'll still pick at ISI to make the date sooner lol it's a no win if they put out "footage". Besides, this lack of content seems to keep the crowd sticking around and eying it, I think ISI are sitting pretty even if the community "tries" to scare it with thoughts of iRacing or whatever else they can think of. Last year Codemasters put out tons of content before F12010 released, it got all hyped and turned out to be a bust. The crowd pushed and pushed them and they turned out an unfinish product. I applaud ISI's demeanor to hold their policy true, "when something is worth showing they will show it". I do agree with you Noel the GFX from rF1 is actually pretty good and only needs maintenance tweaks (I have an nVidia card so I get texture lockups a lot). I'm sure the new physics and tires are going to be amazing though.

IMO iRacing is a really good simulator, but is it really worth paying for, to each their own I say. I don't agree with the pay system but that doesn't stop me from racing there because the cars are amazing to drive. Although when my 2 year subscription runs out I might not re-up, I'll decide then but it has nothing to do with rF2's release or how it drives. No sense in being single minded about it.

9. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Sounds like political propaganda, they promise a million things but it is actually more of the same with minor cosmetic changes and a new name to avoid obsolescence hahahaha :p

This sounds good, I just hope they also support dirt and ice surfaces, I'm a lover RBR :eek: but already has over a lot of years and no replacement in sight, I hope ISI note that... :confused:

10. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Produced

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Is it your guess or you have a list of tons of confirmed improvements?
    Finally it is not about how many. It is about for how long. I expected developing to be more advanced after 3 years. So, WIPs showing some experiments wasn't what I was expected.
    I think a part of community had the same feelings and it is a reason of disappointing.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

ISI doesn't just do rFactor. rFactor is largely a snapshot of their ongoing engine, and rFactor2 is the same again (so they grab the underlying stuff, put the existing rF things on it and then work towards a set of release features [or start with rF and start putting updated engine stuff in it... either way], in the meantime [as has been mentioned previously] if and when they make an improvement in their system it gets patched into rF2 as well). A lot of people think ISI has been working on rFactor 2 since they stopped rFactor 1, and that makes sense if you think that's all they do. However, it is not.

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

You are wrong. A lot of people think ISI has been working on rF2 since Gjon Camaj's interview for Inside Simracing in year 2008. Already in this interview some new features/technologies has been described.

14. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

ISI is working on their product every day.
    This is an endless improving, envolving product.
    Only Gjon could stop it someday.

rf1, rf2, rf3, rf4 are just names for progress status at the given time, names to publish and earn.
    Each company on this earth exists to earn money, each employer has his live and his familiy to buiy bread for.

Believe me, i know, but its not up to me to tell you details.
    I just can tell you that they re working hard on it since years, many invisible improvements and new features are implemented.
    You cannot compare the driving experience with rf1, its just realistic now.
    Drive your car on the street, and then drive it in rf2, you ll get the same feeling, except for the g-forces.

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yeah I know that too, from my source.
    But how can community may get to know it from WIP screens? You have some information and I have some. But most of community have WIP screenshots only. Screenshots which even contains issues known from rF1 (I mean issues related to rendering approach etc). So I'm not exhausted by such screenshots.
    Besides, ISI is working on technologies improving rF Pro. rF is only side effect which turned into unexpected success.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011
  16. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

rf is not only a side effect.
    I think rf is the main product, and all others are side projects which are grown up directly from the main productline, but anyway this is up to isi.
    I am sure as soon as they have almost final graphics implemented they will show you some more information for sure.
    It makes no sense to show some "old graphics" when they have big steps on their featurelist for that.

Give them some more time, each second doing screenshots or movies stops them developing it.

The difference between EA and ISI is:

EA is showing great stuff, great movies, tv commercials and ships money making bull**** like -> "%NAME% + date('Y');", each year.
    Plus they re not patching bugs, just crashes and even not always those.

ISI is showing realistic stuff or nothing, no tv commercials, just wip movies but they ship quality, guarantee of support, realism. Releasing each 5 years anything, instead of releasing yearly.
    Plus they re adding post release features, content, bugfixes, improvements.

EA is releasing that often, they often have "%NAME% 2013" finished for Mid-2012 ;).
    I bet EA prays to god, want him to change years from 360 days to 180 days ;).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011
  17. Stroker

Stroker Registered

I love rFactor and I'm sure rF2 will be amazing, but I honestly don't expect to see it anytime this year. That's fine with me, I can wait for a great product. I would just prefer a realistic timetable for release or none at all. It was supposed to have been released last year, and we're now over halfway through this year and release date is still TBA 2011. Again, I'm in no rush...but just be realistic. If it's still a long way from release, just say that and don't string people along. Under-promise and over-deliver.

18. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Gonzo, your conclusion about ISI vs EA is bit off.
    I would like to see new rF each year or let's say every two years, to get constantly upgraded gfx, physics, sound and bug fixes.

19. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

maybe three... but then again if patches happened consistently every 4-6 months and made REAL improvements a sim could go 4 or 5 years without a full platform change.

20. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

i think that RFx isn't the primary Job or of ISI.

But patience people.. stay calm for a product that it will be fantastic for secure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.