rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleco

bleco Registered

Then release the f&?%ing updates!!! That's why I love iRacing ...

I would be happy to pay to get monthly or yearly updates from ISI ...

Bleco

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I guess I should have phrased that better. What I was trying to say is produce ingame video with all the gfx features enabled. Every screenshot so far looks different. Then people bitch and ISI says it is just WIP. I totally understand the whole WIP thing. But they are talking about releasing the game within 5 months. You would think that they could produce WIP shots that have all the gfx stuff enabled this late in the dev process.

3. bleco

bleco Registered

Yes the wip videos released are from rF2 ... But did you find anything special about them? Did you find them to be impressive? I personnally don't ... there is really nothing spectacular in them ...

Don't want to start an iRacing topic here but you don't pay only to renew a subsciption ... you pay for constant new features, fixes, upgrades ... How many updates did you get in your 2 years subscription? A LOT ... rF1 is totally obsolete, graphics are awfull, FFB is wrong etc ... Some updates over the years would have calm down people about rF2 not being release yet ...

Bleco

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Just to open your eyes: you are not paying for improving things in iR. You just sponsor iracing dev team developing things, which are present in other sims already (and are a must nowadays). Excluding a few things iR has done good, it is just skeleton of good sim. Let;s name it: no weather, no day2night transition, fake night, no brakes temp/wear, to temp affecting racing conditions, a lot of tricks to solve physics bugs (ie soft suspension due to solid tires). At beginning there was even no tire wear, fuel consumption, flags and many more (and you had to pay full price for it).
    To make it stright, iRacing is good sim. But I would feel cheated by being an iRacing customer.

So, I don't want o to buy something which force me to pay for undefined time to get complete product. On the other side I'm ready to pay for one final product, and then for next major version of it. rF1 lives 6 years and is still one of the top sim products, improved/modded by community. But would be better to have rF3 today, with stunning gfx,sfx and new physics.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011
  5. bleco

bleco Registered

That sound exactly like the definition of improving things ... not improving what is already available in other sims but constantly improving their own sim ... :)

Don't get me wrong I am not a big fan of membership fees either ... I just want to use a good simulator that is constantly being updated ... If I have to pay then I will pay ... but show me that you are working on the development and give me something ... Don't make users wait forever! It's not console gaming GT5 crap s**t here ...

Bleco

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011
  6. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Why would ISI need to produce videos with the detail levels at maximum as long as they get the point across? The graphics in the videos might not have been at maximum setting, but the videos got the point across on what they were doing. And even without being at maximum detail, the graphics were still very impressive.

Back to the original topic. For the damage model, if a wing is dented by a collision and/or a fin is knocked off of the wing, are the aerodynamics of the wing changed to simulate this damage?

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Updated yes - but not starting from 10 years old point ;)
    Just think about, what people would say if rF2 will start with GPL compared features.
    Product should match nowadays quality/performance/features at beginning. After then, it may be updated from time to time, even for some fee.

8. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Will there be an option to allow drivers to grease the bumpers of the race cars? And simulate the difference between greasing the bumpers and not greasing the bumpers when bump-drafting?

9. J.V

J.V Registered

Iracing, Gtr2, Rfactor,Netkar pro, they all have flaws. Onlineracing and tracks in iRacing are best that i have seen. I haven't seen in two months, which i've been member of iRacing any wreckers, cheaters or people who drive in the wrong direction. People really try to race fair and clean. Onlineracing in Rfactor and Gtr2 is free, but it's not worth it. I'm sure Rf2 is going to be the same.

10. bleco

bleco Registered

I agree ... that is also where paying for the service makes a good difference ... clean races ... serious racers ... I never race online in other sims because of that ...

Bleco

11. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Racing in iRacing is like racing in an organized league, with rules etc. The same is with rFactor and SimBin titles - lots of people are racing in leagues. And yes, with rF 2 it's going to be the same :)

If you are talking about lobby sessions...well, that's a different story of course, but that's also the reason why people should join communities and racing in leagues.

12. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Anyway on open servers you can find good and clean racers, for example, in servers that are using HistorX mod (or any other good mod) are rare find the wreckers or cheaters.
    It may sound strange, but you get tested and take your conclusions :p

There are also servers have administrators always online (most of the VHR mod) where you can run a decent and friendly race.

Not everything is bad in the "microworld" of open servers :)

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

If you want to do the same as in iR - join some league. In a lot of cases you will also pay for the service.
    I can't see any relation between sim quality and anonymous community skill using free lobby
    So please don't mix subjects, otherwise we will end up arguing about kind of cheese which the moon is made from.

14. bleco

bleco Registered

That is good to know ... not very familiar with private leagues ... practicing alone most of the time because of childish behaviours on some open servers ...

Bleco

15. J.V

J.V Registered

I did more than 100 races in a league and racing was good there, but problem was timeschedule, i could do maybe 1-4 race in a week. Sometimes i have to wait 2 weeks, it's not much racing. I want more. Iracing is like open sever(for us who pay for it), i can always go racing when i feel like it, but we always have rules and drive like in a league.
    People are different, some are hardcore simracers who take sim's seriously, for some people it's only a game and some people go online to crash others and thats how they enjoy the game.
    I would like to see somekind of ranking system in Rfactor2 and Gtr3 too. Everybody starts at the lowest level and if you keep crashing, wreck others and spinning you stay there. If you can keep your car on the track and race clean you go higher with other drivers like you and get better racing. Maybe it would work.

16. sg333

sg333 Registered

Considering this was pretty much invented last week i highly doubt it...

I cant imagine coding that into a game, it's hilarious enough in reality.

17. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

They did it a few months ago at Talladega and I think they did it at the Daytona 500 as well. It's actually very clever to grease the bumpers as it eases off the pressure of both drivers and allows them to move around without having to back off first. I can imagine coding it into a simulator.

18. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

We need physics to cater for on and offroad bikes.

19. bleco

bleco Registered

+1

But it would be a pain to progress at lower levels with a bunch of kids crashing all around ...

Bleco

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

MaXyM, rF2 has been 'in development' since... well... the late 90s probably. The point I was making is they don't just do rFactor - they weren't sitting there working full-time on rFactor, released it, then working on updates/patches, did all those, and then set about working on rF2 until now.

They have their whole platform, which is the basis of several areas (game engine game companies pay to use, rFPro, possibly other and more private collaborations... who knows), and which they are now, for the second time, making suitable for release as a standalone game. That platform is their main, full-time work. As Gonzo has said, rFactor/2 is really just a snapshot of where their platform is. There was an 'early' rF2 report that said it had basically been put on hold while they completed another project, and in the process of working on that project they made improvements to a part of their physics/modelling - and that those changes would filter into rF2. Their commercial projects take priority over rFactor/2 because without them there'll be no ISI to make it.

So it's certainly nothing like EA. EA makes games. They market their games, and they release every year even when it's **** or hasn't changed worth mentioning, because that's what they get their money from - it's all they get their money from.

People think ISI is the same, sitting there working on their only product and being slow to release news or media or whatever, taking ages to finish the game, and that is absolutely not what's going on.

Proper sim racing is such a niche market nobody could survive just selling a game for it - iRacing looks to be doing ok thanks to massive marketing, hype, and ongoing costs for users. And that's not having a shot at it, it's just what it is and what they need to do to keep going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.