rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

And good brand new HW ;)

2. Nor

Nor Registered

Sorry but that makes no sense to me spare 1000€ for new graphic card and new CPU+RAM+Motherboard to enable pitcrew.

As we learnd form the former releases of games (e.g. when was hardware payable to run crysis on maximum details), to run it on maximum detalis you need PC for 2000€.

btw. dziwie sie ze akurat takie propozycje od polaka przychodza.

Pozdrawiam Norbert

3. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

It is good to have them available for you to turn on/off, if you want. What at this moment is considered as "high end", after a year will be just "typical".
    Pick Crysis for example. How it would look, if it was created just for high-end hardware from that year (2007)? Yes, at that time, people with fast PCs would probably be greatful to have a game that runs 60+ fps with max settings. Will you agree though, that it definatelly won't be looking that good 4 years later?
    Right now you can have smooth gameplay in Crysis with full details on GPU worth 150 bucks (right now). Does the game look bad? I don't think so :)

Now, rF 2 will probably be our racing platform for the next 5-6 years (my rough guesstimation ;-) ). I really don't mind playing it right now at medium details... but i'll be happy with how it will look at max settings 2 years later, when our hardware will be fast enough to provide high framerate levels.

U nas sporo części jest tańszych niż to wynika z przelicznika walutowego i cen z zachodu :p

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I agree that physics is the number one priority. You can have a sim with good graphics but crap physics and it will fail. But having a sim with both would be great. Dev teams have graphics guys and physics guys. The graphics guys don't take breaks from graphics work to do physics work. So working on graphics isn't going to take time away from physics work.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I can't believe animated pit crew would have that much impact. Look at the animated characters in old, OLD games like Quake 3. If they could do it back then they can do it now. You are parked in the pits so even if the framerate drops it really doesn't matter because you aren't racing... you are stopped. The pit crews could be static for others that are on the racing surface so it doesn't effect their frame rate.

6. LRT24

LRT24 Registered

Totally agree with the above. At this point there's absolutely no excuse not to have great graphics. There have been animated pit crews in race sims for a decade, if you think having them is really going to destroy your framerate, its time to get a new PC.

7. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

Would be really nice to get some new media! I know you guys are busy and it's still WIP, but this whole development process feels very isolated at the moment.

Cheers!

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Tims wife just gave birth last week so he's otherwise pre-occupied! He did have this to say on the Rfactor2 Facebook page on the 20th June though:
    "With regards rF2:

It's just a bit of a wait to get a final ok on what we are internally predicting... Could be posting this week, but could extend to a few. It can't be long now before you know, simply because what we are working on wouldn't work if left much longer"

edit: talking about release date and testing

9. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

ISI more news please. I hear more news about iRacing 2.0.

10. shum94

shum94 Registered

11. Medic

Medic Registered

Could we please have a working staging system for the ability to add Drag Racing content to the new version.
    The Drag mod that's being worked on over at www.Dragfactor.net is coming along nicely but without a proper
    staging system in game they may never get to be raced in rFactor which would be a real shame.

Any info or anything that is needed for this to happen please email or pm what is needed i know that the DragFactor crew would be keen to help in anyway.

Some pic's below of just 2 of the classes that DragFactor are working on at the moment. I think this style of racing would be a great addition to rFactor:

TopFuel
    [​IMG]

Pro Mod
    [​IMG]

Medic....

12. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Keep cool, they re busy putting in some components to show you something.

13. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

I wouldn't join iRacing for any reason because they charge monthly and you don't get to keep anything if your membership expires. Besides, the ISI simulators are the best simulators available. Primarily because of how easy it is to set up physics on a per-vehicle basis and it's ability to support just about any racing format.

14. JuanitoRPM

JuanitoRPM Registered

I never look to the crew during a pitstop... :p

15. theother5

theother5 Registered

16. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

If they don't want to put some pit crew or whatever 3D people in boxes, they could at least enable the Animation property in rF2 and modders won't take too much time to create "live" characteres by themselves.

Of course proper triggers for action of 3d models must exist.

The animation feature exists but is disabled in Gmotor Plugin currently, but it seems to be a deliberated choice by ISI.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I know 2 people who refused to buy rFactor until it came out on DVD - because they didn't trust TryMedia to stay around and were worried they'd get to a point where they could no longer activate a new install.

So, everyone has their own requirements. Personally I agree Re: Iracing, the payment system is the main reason I've never tried it.

rFactor/2 would be much more likely to have a similar system if it were ISIs only income source, so fingers crossed hopefully rF2 stays similar to rF1.

They ARE putting in a pit crew - have you read the posts from ISI at all?

There are also some settings for rain in rFactor, but that never got implemented - it wasn't some plot to deliberately leave out features (though, obviously, they aren't going to turn rF/rF2 into rFPro and lose their main business), it was just never finished for it. rF2 will have rain, and will come with at least a basic pit crew with more to come later - as they've stated.

18. JoshJ81

JoshJ81 Registered

Likewise, have you read the posts from ISI at all? They said they will not be doing a iRacing style pay system and that it will stay the same as rFactor 1. I'm not sure why everyone keeps harping on this false idea. Unless everyone here is just trying to make sure ISI doesn't go that way by complaining about it so much? You can uncross your fingers now.

19. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Easy man, i didn't mean to offend anyone. As long as I never saw a little poor screen shot of 3d crew, I'm only on my right to doubt. Anyway, just in case, if they don't put crew (are you able to guarantee they will?) turn on animation to the Gmotor2 (as Simbin version has) would be very nice.

All the best

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I recall reading that they dismissed an iR style system, but costs haven't been decided. It seems there are more than 2 possibilities for payment method/system, so I'm saying I hope they keep it similar to rF1.

I agree the constant references (complaints?) to iRacing are misplaced, but the point I was actually making is that different people have different attitudes towards various payment systems. Seems a number of people here abhor iRacing's model, but perhaps don't realise rFactor's model (for 3 years at least) was also unacceptable in other peoples' eyes.

Sorry mate, what I typed came across wrong. I was referring to Tim's post (first in this thread) saying

and your post sounded like you thought they might not have any pit crew, and that ISI had just disabled animation features in rF1. It's more likely Simbin wrote their own animation stuff, and I would guess ISI had a new system planned so didn't want to spend time putting an inferior system into rF1 with the updates.

Anyway, what I meant was "did you see the bit about pit crews?" rather than "can you not READ?" which is perhaps how it looks in hindsight ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.