United Sim Racers - Season 1 - sign up thread

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by TIG_green, Oct 20, 2013.

1. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Remember to read the rules if you haven't done so yet: http://usr.simresults.net/racing-rules-and-penalties/

Weather and starting time updated for Mid-Ohio: http://usr.simresults.net/weather-forecast-and-in-game-race-start-time/

I think I'll do some practicing and setup work tommorrow evening :)

@Hedlund: all models are possible but 4th model probably the best. But I don't want to exclude any of the models, some will be faster on straights but then they'll lose lots of time in tight corners.

ps. I had some weird purple colour all over the place when I tried night racing in Mid-Ohio. So I decided that it's still too early for totally pitch dark. And I'll wait for next update before we can try wet weather.

-Matt

2. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thank you for the weather forecast ;)

Agree, the 4th model, MK III B, will be the fastest. It's pulling the most G's in both cornering and acceleration, and it is pretty much as fast straight forward as the 3rd model, despite bigger rear wing :)

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/howston-hg4-hg6/ At the bottom of this page there is a graph with top speed, accel, brake and cornering G's :) To find out which model to use :p

Unfortunately, my practice time has been much limited so far. I have only done a few laps earlier this week, to find out how it was to drive and do some gear ratio adjustments. I think my best time was 1.24.5 in a couple of laps. It will be exciting to see what laptimes we manage to do on sunday... I have no idea what laptimes to aim for, but I need to do more practice tomorrow :) Perhaps I'll join USR server tomorrow evening/night for a couple of laps, and hopefully I can bring my brother too...

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

We are using the same password in every race... so the same as I sent you for the first race.

PM if you don't have it anymore.

See you on track tommorrow starting at 18:00 UTC/GMT with a practice session :)

4. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_UTC.aspx

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Thanks Jerry.

However, I think it's more handy to
    look at current UTC time from our website (top left hand corner). If you use converter you must know your current timezone but by just following UTC time you can't get wrong. Anyone can tell me their location and I will tell the starting time if you are having difficulties figuring this out :)

6. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

This is little embarassing but I can't enter the server :eek:

Typed the right password but I'm getting server connection fail...could join ISI server so my connection should be ok.

4 guys in so how did you get in? Maybe reset the server?

7. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Just got in... just keep entering the password if you get connection fails and it will let you in eventually.

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Event 2 on Mid-Ohio- Results:

http://simresults.net/131201-MC9

Thanks for all that came, we had pretty decent grid already :) Maybe even better next time around in Spa.

Some incidents this time in first corners but mainly nothing serious, overall good clean racing.

Will update points soon. I really appreciate racing with you guys :)

9. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Good racing all! It wasn't my best day. Some stupid mistakes I made but overall good stuff :D

10. nascar2112

nascar2112 Registered

Good racing by everyone, gonna have to figure out how to beat the hedlund brothers, lol

11. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

my best performance ever

12. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Thanks for the racing guys. I had a really tough, sweaty fight with Kane for 2nd place in Race 1... So hard to overtake at Mid-Ohio! I was chasing Kane for the whole race after loosing my 2nd place already after first corner. He was faster over one lap but I think my tires lasted longer, so towards the end of the race I had to try to find a way past him... I took a risk, went wide to the grass and could not brake, touched Kane so he spun.. Sorry about that. But I waited for him and none of us lost any positions :) Last corner, last lap, I was so close to beat him to the finish line because he had really bad traction.. But finished 3rd.

Second race I very lucky to avoid all crashes... 2nd place after first lap with my brother behind and Kane in front with a gap of a few seconds. I knew it would be very hard to catch him... but to my surprise he had got a drive through, so I took over the lead. My brother was also faster than me over one lap, but I found a very good pace and opened up a little gap. Comfortable win :)

Overall, I'm very satisfied. I came unprepared to this event.. At least not as much practice that I would like to had. I've had problems with my H-shifter in the week and only done a couple of laps. I had very bad traction in first race, so I did some changes to setup between race 1 and 2, and the car felt much better in the final race. It was very risky, but this time it worked. Looking forward to next race. It will be very hard to beat Robert and Kane.

13. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

http://usr.simresults.net/results-and-point-standings/

Points updated. Things can change quickly because lots of points to take per event.

Top 3 at the moment:

1. Rikard Hedlund 103 points
    2. Robert Hedlund 78 points
    3. Kane 75 points

My pace in the second race was worse than in the race 1. Not sure if setups went back to default after we restarted warmup for race 2. Was fun trying to catch that Howston train during the first half of the race in race 2 :D

Ronnie, Hectari and Bart should really join the fun... would mix things up even more. And of course Leo, Eddy, Cosimo, Chris, Joe, nullsub... you get the point :p so much potential for huge grid.

14. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Yeah... bigger grid today. Very nice :) It's getting better and better. It's only the 2nd race and 13 drivers is not bad.

I know Hectari and Bart from SR4L and they will definitely be top drivers and fight for the gold, so I hope they show up for next race :)

15. SpeedLab

SpeedLab Registered

Good race today!

I did a decent amount of prep for this race having never turned a wheel before in the G6. I definitely feel like it's a very challenging car to drive may be harder than the F1 historic. I don't think mid-Ohio is the best track for trying to learn about the vehicle because how you drive and pitched the weight of the car at this undulating circuit has almost more to do with the handling then the setup of the car. Regardless I ended up having several different setups that were producing the same lap times.

This rarely happens to me but at the end of my training session I didn't really know which one was going to work the best. I used the warm-up session before the race to shake down what I had to chose one that I thought would work better in the second half of the race.

Race one:

A good launch off the line from the rubbered side of the track saw me slot into second. By the end of the first lap I had realized I didn't assign the race setup I have chosen. This was one of my experimental setups with the damper set to 1. It had very grip in the beginning of the race but not so good at the end. I had to concentrate very hard just to keep the pace. I knew Hedlund 90 was right on my tail although I didn't have enough free attention to really look in my mirrors except on the straightaway. I just tightened up my lines and focused hard on not making any mistakes and hope if he made a lunge I would see him and be able to give him some room. Was a good fight and a good race!

Race two:

Was feeling confident once I change my setup that I could have a stronger pace in race two and with the reverse grid it changes the complexion of the race a bit. Ruin my race before it started though by jumping the start didn't make me feel any better that I managed to take the lead early on in the second lap with a small gap knowing I threw a good shot at a win away and was certainly going to lose volume of points in the championship. After my drive through I focused on being as consistent as possible. I try to make a run at J. Holly who was running good pace and had a shaved down to under 3 seconds with a few laps to go. For some reason though I was getting frame slowdown every time he would lock up the tires in front of me going into the corners. I tried to push through it, but in the end I almost crashed several times once bad enough to make me decide to give up and take what I had which was a solid fourth place.

Postrace:

Thanks to the Hedlund Brothers for bringing such a high level of competition to the table with fast clean and consistent driving. Thanks to Matt and everyone else who's helping them behind the scenes.

I made two rookie mistakes this weekend and was lucky to minimize the damage. These cars were total beast at mid-Ohio and throttle control and restraint were needed. That being said I had a really fun event and look forward to the next one!

I did a lap and a half in the Howston at Spa on a server a few weeks back to decide if I was going to race in this league. This of all the circuits on the calendar I think is where these cars will really shine in driving was sheer pleasure! I can only imagine how daunting it really was for these pilots back in the day that actually had to go 200 mph in these beasts!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Thanks Speedlab for that rewind :)

Added some pictures from our event 2, enjoy :) (all unedited, don't know why trackmap plugin screen didn't go away in race 2 replay)

http://usr.simresults.net/

17. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Yeah, the trackmap plugin is always visible for me in replays (only when loading a saved file). And for me, it's only the lap counter that's visible :p

Great rewind from Speedlap, indeed. Just and idea... As some of us like to write a few words about our races, maybe we could have a "race report" section on the league site. I always write a race report after my sr4l league races. It's fun to read other drivers reports, and then check accidents or overtakes in the replay that they have mentioned :)

18. SpeedLab

SpeedLab Registered

Looking forward to catching a bit of the replay tonight! I like the idea of a post race report area of the league website. I as well enjoy a lot to read others account of the racing!

Spa will be interesting indeed! It will be the first event with a mix of the G4 and the G6. It will be interesting to see if there is a definitive car choice for most or a mixed field.

19. Axe

Axe Registered

thanks for the photos Matt.

I would like to express special thanks to Jani for the fight in race 1. Accidentally positioned behind me, he fought with me almost for the whole race. No doubts he was faster than me but not enough better on the brakes so he was unable to overtake. Also nature of the mid ohio did not help him. And I felt me like with entangled hands because of the responsibility for our race so probably I was a bit slower than normally. Driving these beasts is like to try to stand on the fit ball for me.
    But he never showed any impatience. Each overtake attempt was perfectly controlled. Always he was able to cancel the attack when there was a risk of collision. Never touched me. Really adult and gentleman racing. Not so usual or widely seen.
    So Jani, again thanks for your approach. I strongly believe next events you will beat me with ease. Good luck.
    Juraj

20. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

To disable trackmap plugin on track, in my settings which i think it is the default, you have to press crtl+space

edit: loooooool
    http://usr.simresults.net/?attachment_id=132

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013