Thrustmaster t500 with rfactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turfman666, Feb 3, 2013.

1. smithaz

smithaz Registered

When you say zero oscillations when using 1.9% deadzone, do you mean as in none whatsoever, nothing at all, even subtle effects when turning? I would like to make use of this setting but im lazy and havent been arsed to experiment. Any oscillations are horrible, really spoil the otherwise solid ffb.

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

yes, there's no perceivable deadzone at all now.

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I tried 0.06 and 0.04 but those had too much oscillation.

0.02 feels pretty much perfect.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Did you try 0.03?

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

No, I did not. Have you?

6. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol, no i haven't either. But i'm using 100% and when i tried 2% deadzone i still felt a very very subtle amount of oscillation (could hardly call it oscillation, more like vibration) and going down to 1.9% fixed it. So i know 1.9% is the sweet spot for 100% with 0.48 ingame multi. But perhaps 2% for 60% (with your 0.55 multi) is not?

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

well, i must say Adrian, i went down to 70% overall strength and increased the ingame ffb multi to 0.77 with 3% steering torque minimum and the ffb now feels legendary to me. :D

Need to keep testing, will report back with more info soon.

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Could you test my settings (60/100/100/0/0, multi 0.55 and smoothing 0) and tell your opinion (at least good settings with f2, skip barber and panoz imo). What is the difference between my and your settings?

I have very limited time and knowledge in these things so I would appreciate somebody else doing the comparing :)

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

sure, give me some time.

But in the meantime, what i can tell you at first glance is that you can use my 0.77 ingame ffb multiplier for the megane (and 0.86 for the ponaz) because you are using 60% overall which is less than my 70% overall. There is no worry of ffb clipping in the corners.

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Tig, are you wanting to remain on 0.55 multi? and you want the steering torque minimum value for that with 60% overall?

11. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I think 0.55 is pretty good, has enough weight in it and feels dynamic. So if you could give ideal minimum torque for that and if you could also describe technically how is it different to your settings :)

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Hey TIG. Sorry I didn't get round to testing it yet. I will later this evening for you.

I can answer the second part of your question in the meantime. So when you reduce the ingame ffb multi, you are reducing all the ffb forces sent to your wheel. If we take an example of an ffb multi value that perfectly avoids ffb clipping (which means you use the full range of forces of your wheel to represent the dynamic range of forces calculated in game, with a 1:1 relationship) but then half this value, your ffb deadzone amount will be doubled. To explain (with an arbitrary example) of 3% deadzone with a perfect ffb multi value, when you halve it your range of ffb force output at the wheel are also halved which means a 3% force at the wheel now correlates to a 6% force ingame and so your ffb deadzone amount with the perfect ffb multi halved will need twice the amount of deadzone offset (aka "steering torque minimum").

Simply put, you use a lower ffb multi than me so you need a higher ffb deadzone offset value (steering torque minimum).

Without testing, I would guess your value is 3.8% based on the relationship between my 0.75 multi (for the megane) and 2.9% steering torque minimum.

Note that not all cars share the same ffb mult. For instance I use 0.84 with the panoz. I use the pedal plugin to check per car what is the correct car specific ffb multi to use to avoid ffb clipping. Luckily it seems fine to use the 2.9% steering torque minimum for both megane and the Pinza with different ffb multi's.

Which cars do you drive most?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  13. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I drive all of them :D doesn't make my request easier, does it :p

Still mostly tintops...

14. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Tried values of 0.038, 0.03 and 0.025... maybe a little oscillation with 0.038 but not in other values.

I ended up liking the 0.025 the best. Higher value than my previous 0.02 made it feel maybe even more connected to the road. But counter-steering became harder and I'm not sure if it was a little too stiff for my liking. Not sure yet, I drove pretty good with it but because of increased stiffness I felt slower maybe.

I tested Civic, Skip Barber and Panoz. Biggest problem was with SB which felt like it hard stiff rubber band in the middle. I remember it feeling much better with 0.02 value.

I used 0.55 multi with them all so didn't try to change that.

15. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I made an update video...

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Nice update video.

Mind sharing the settings you use for your t500? Control panel, ingame and possibly stm value (if any)?

17. Daniel Mcauley

Daniel Mcauley Registered

Does anyone have a tx wheel that could post their controller file settings please ? im new to the game and the force feedback feels really weak

18. Descoat

Descoat Registered

I´ve got both ( tx and t500 ). Tx has less cogging so you need a bit minimum FFB like 0.04 value in your "steering torque minimum" of your JSON doc Controller in UserData/player folder.
    Try it and increase values beetween 0.04 and 0.08
    Also you need to add 20% general FFB than T500 to give equal forces.

For F1 cars, TX is better.
    For rest of the cars, T500 is the best option.

Tx also gives you more FFB information like tyre degradation.

At the begginning I was surprised about how does this TX gives you the FFB and was really impressed. Now T500 is my favourite choice because I take better control in the center of the steering.
    My better hotlaps are made by a G25 but anyway, you are in the heaven dirving with a superior FFB like Thrustmaster wheels. If I upgrade them in the future, will probably decide to choice " Leo bodnar system" because the frequency ratio of the new fanatec V2 is also 500hz like thrustmaster wheels and simsteeringwheel is farly superior.
    I only need 3000 euros and some more to pay the divorce :eek:

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If the game only accepts inputs at a rate of 500 Hz, then how does the wheel itself operating at over 500 Hz make a difference?

20. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Maybe it gives a bit smoother response? Like playing 60fps game on a 120Hz monitor? Just thinking out loud.