Thrustmaster t500 with rfactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turfman666, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Can you link me where Kunos said this? That's a pretty ridiculous statement for anyone to make, unless he was talking about a very specific car (obviously I haven't driven every car).

I use a T500RS.

2. speed1

speed1 Banned

DrR1pper, we anyway destroyed the Threads meaning and as it seems we anyway missunderstanding each other or i'm still mixing the meaning of the words i use there. What i try to say is the so called canned effects aren't extra code added on top of the physic engine to produce extra feelings on the steering wheel but beeing a result of the physic engine itself. Does it make any sense ? Perhaps the whole physic is canned or are you linked with your desk directly to a real car on a real track while controlling it out of your livingroom by using a virtual canned track and cockpit visuals ?

Is there something i'm not aware of or is this the reality and i'm currently living in a virtual canned world ?

3. TechAde

TechAde Registered

Part of the simulation is to calculate the force at the steering arms. For a pure simulation it is this calculated value that is used to drive the force feedback.

If anything else is sent to the FFB then this is what we would call 'fake' or 'canned' i.e. something not part of the underlying simulation.

You're talking about sending forces which would be felt on the body to the FFB. These forces can be considered 'fake' or 'canned' because they are not part of the underlying simulation's steering arm force calculations.

I tried to make that as simple as possible, not sure I succeeded!

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I'm sure the language barrier is part of the problem (i certainly wouldn't have a chance to explain what i mean well if we were having this conversation in german, lol). I mean no offence with my questions, i only reply with how I've interpreted your posts so that you may try to explain it to me again and perhaps it will click with me after a few times or perhaps it is something else.

Now that you've said that you believe it's the physics engine that's the problem, i understand your position now. Believe it or not, i am also interested in whether this is the case or not because for myself i would like to know if i am getting the correct feeling at the wheel or whether i am not (and would like it corrected ofc). As i said, i haven't driven any of these race cars (let alone a real race spec car) to make any comparison or accurate judgement of the validity of rf2's ffb myself. The only evidence i have seen for it being accurate or not comes from TechAde but i also do not know if his graph covered driving over kerbs and rumble strips to see if within the physics there are signs of inconsistency.

I hope you can understand where i'm coming from and there is no animosity between us for my prying.

5. speed1

speed1 Banned

No worrys man, it's not you, it's me confusing people. The most important is we are all happy with what we have, and i'am. Exactly the physic and FFB of rf2 is why i'm still here, it's not the performance of my AMD sys and the 290 keeping me staying tuned. :rolleyes:

6. TJones

TJones Registered

7. TechAde

TechAde Registered

I'm not sure I agree with that... I get left/right movement in my steering wheel just driving down my street at low speed, as I go over dips and bumps in the road (BMW 535d MSport in full sport mode, so not too much power steering to dull everything).

8. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

The minimum torque setting is a blast. I tried several value and ended with 0.06 and it's perfect, no oscillation, no more dead zone, feelings everywhere, perfect, I'm very happy :)

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

What wheel do you use Lolo? G27?

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

Thank you, than i was right with my toughts. Btw i would suggest you to check the front axle of your 535D because the effect you feel is not just because of the little vertical impacts when driving straight forward, it's because your wheels or the one overdriving the little bump moves lateral where it shouldn't be that sensible. I don't remember the axle construction well anymore since it's some time ago as i see one but the most street BMW's have a very sensible axle construction which reacts very sensible with every little wear. At least i would suggest to check axle setup, because i can't remember i had felt anytime something on the steering with hundreds of streetcars i had driven just by driving standard roads when there is nothing weared, damaged or the axle setup wasn't outer balance.

11. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

T500RS according to his profile.

I use a G27 and the minimum torque setting has also transformed my wheel. Eliminating the ffb deadzone makes a huge difference. I can feel the car reacting much earlier and more precisely.

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Oh, ok, interesting he's on a t500 using 6%. What percentage are you using Barf?

13. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

for my g27 I am using 12% minimum torque, logitech profiler overall ffb strength 100%, rf2 ffb multiplier 0.65.

14. TechAde

TechAde Registered

I'm happy the car is fine thanks, the road... not so much! :) It would take some very numb over assisted steering not to feel anything on this stretch of road!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

15. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Yep indeed. That's bump steer.

I guess Kunos was trying to say when you go over a rumble strip, with a generous speed, you're feeling more the vertical component (travel) than the wheel shake caused by the momentary toe change...because the time/speed is an important variable involved in the phenomena as the suspension travel, which is pretty low for curbs, especially for stiff suspensions. So, unless you're going to pass over the external side of the rumble curb, with the wheel pulling you on that side, the wheel horizontal wobbling is less prominent over curbs than while driving on bumps and dips.

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

I don't know the road you are driving but it is still not because of little vertical movements of the suspension, it is because of lateral movement of the wheels and the road must be very damaged than.

Kunos is right and he means bump steer not something else because he mentioned that anywhere else again but i don't remember where and i share his opinion in this context.

I never drived a streetcar from this gen and since i'm working on cars over the last 23 Years doing that, to move the steering wheel left right just by overdriving standard bumps on road. That just happens with lateral wheel movement by changing toe frequently or steering angle, as example by overdriving a greater bump with one wheel or a curb but not on every little vertical movement which don't have much of an impact on the wheel.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
  17. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Yep T500RS Here and 0,06 Minimum Torque, 60,100,100,0,0 and ingame FFB depending cars, lower than usual as I was able to tune that thanks to the clipping display of the pedals plugin (I was too high previously with 1,25, now more between 0.55 and 0.80). Feel great. Min Torque to 0.08 and the central oscillation was too great on straight or still, 0.06 is perfect, the remaining tiny central oscillation can be barely feel when standing and is synchronized with my buttkicker and engine car vibration though SimVibe, so it's perfect ;)

18. TechAde

TechAde Registered

No, you don't know the road I am driving, so how you come to the conclusions you do I don't know. Anyway, you have a PM, let's not drag this even further off-topic.

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

A picture of the road and the little detail "camber" would had helped a lot and proves lateral movement of the wheels as reason not just the vertical impacts and suspension travel what people think is the reason for the effect on the steering wheel by overdriving any little bump. That was the topic and what i tryed to explain. Steer bump simply don't exist on every car and just by riding over little bumps straight, especially not on streetcars.

Sorry TechAde, i simply can't let stay your last post here without to defend my position. I hope we agree, if not i'm done with this topic, and people can believe what they want.

Cheers
    speed1

20. AndD

AndD Registered

Hope i'm ok to post this here, could do with a little clarification from the owners of the T500. Thank you in advance...

Just received a brand new T500..Everything is installed and wheel is working.

Hearing a strange crackling like noise when moving the wheel

Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kElypY40WE

Anyone shed any light on whether this is normal?

Thanks