Thrustmaster t500 with rfactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turfman666, Feb 3, 2013.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes, completely normal for a t500. Nothing to be concerned about at all. :)

2. AndD

AndD Registered

Thanks DrR1pper... an odd noise but one im sure ill get use to and drown out with some engine volume :)

3. antgen

antgen Registered

Yes AndD, it's normal, mine does this too, nothing to worry, enjoy your new wheel :)

4. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I don't understand how can anyone say that 0.06 value of steering torque minimum feels good with 60/100/100/0/0 :p

0.02 was already much better... have to try it with different cars (now just drove ISI's f2)

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not sure exactly what Kunos meant but all I know is I can feel forces and effects on my wheel when going over and touching curbs in real life

6. AndD

AndD Registered

Thanks antgen.

DrR1pper, antgem.. I'll be having a good read of this thread but could I get a general overview from you or anyone on what would be good baseline setting (in terms of FFB) to start with.

My wheel has latest firmware and currently set to 60% FFB / 100 / 100 / 0 /0 and in rF2 the FFB filter was at 4 with 1.0 FFB. Only changes I made was to damper and spring, setting both to 0%

I've come from a G27 so it is quite a change and I must say for the better just taking a bit of getting use to.

Cheers,
    AndD

7. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I believe you get clipping with multi of 1.0... also I've been adviced to use smoothing of 0 with T500RS.

I recommend multi between 0.55-0.7 with you driver settings.

8. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

're you talking 'bout me? (De Niro) ;)

Yep, 0,02 was good for me, and then I raised it to 0,08 and it was better but too much, so I jumped to 0,04 and waoou, pretty good, so I raised to 0,06 perfect! so good! Here the mathematical and logical process called dichotomy (it's too complex I don't want to enter in gory details ;) ) I followed ;)

In any case, I guess mileage may vary depending your tastes :)

9. antgen

antgen Registered

@AndD I use the same settings as you 60/100/100/0/0 (I think this is what most people suggest) but I use 0.7 ffb ingame with 4 ffb filter(with 0 filter the curbs feel really strong and like going only with the rim without a tire on it, sorry can't explain it better and my English is limited)
    If you haven't downloaded yet, this tool (profiler) is very useful http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/topic/8244-t500-configuration-manager/

About the steering torque minimum setting I use 0.02

10. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I set filter to 4 only when racing at Brianza10K and some persons are sleeping in the house ;)

11. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Hehe it's ot i know but with a G27 filter has to be set to 30 with sleeping people in the house :p

12. AndD

AndD Registered

Thanks for the replies..

Settings noted and Ill have a good play over the weekend and see what works best.

Thanks again
    AndD

13. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

Hello, I've a question about "steering torque filter" : what does that mean? and what's the best value for this filter (by default I see "4" in the T500RS controller; is it better to put "0" or another value?)

14. smithaz

smithaz Registered

It filters the ffb forces so that they are less violent, I think its primarily for G27 wheels which rattle a lot, the downside of using it is that it adds input lag. I use 0 with my T500 and it is fine, it is down to personal taste really if you don't like the harsh effects on curbs and off road.

15. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

Thank you very much, I'm going to use 0 (I prefer "harsh effects" too!).

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

So, my lastest settings for my t500 are:

T500 control panel
    100% Overall strength
    100% Constant
    100% Periodic
    0% damper
    0% spring

In game setting
    car specific ffb multi: 0.48 (or if you use 60% overall strength in the t500 control panel, then use 0.80 to avoid ffb clipping)

Controller.ini (located in :\rFactor2\UserData\player)
    Steering torque minimum="0.01900" (which = 1.9%)

I don't know why i didn't think of this before. When u use the iracing tool to measure forces at the wheel, if you use the built in minimum torque test feature it does in fact come out at 2% but when you do the full battery test, it comes out at around 4% (when using 100% overall strength in the t500 control panel) and at around 8% (when using 60% overall strength in the t500 control panel).

I never thought to try only using 2% steering torque minimum and to my surprise last night, it completely removed the initial deadzone with only the most subtle feeling of oscillation when on a straight. So i lowered it to 1.9% and it's pitch perfect...zero initial ffb deadzone and zero oscillation.

Now, be aware though that these settings are dependent on one another to some extent. So for example, if you found that 2% steering torque minimum with 0.48 ingame ffb multi was the perfect combination (which i have found to be the case with t500 100% overall strength), then if you halve the ingame ffb multi to 0.24 then you need to double the steering torque minimum to 4%. It should be an inversely proportional relationship between ingame ffb multi and steering torque minimum starting with my 0.48 : 0.02 reference.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
  17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya drR1pper

things might have changed with the t500 (firmware etc) but I found when I used one that about 60% overall strength I'm the thrustmaster profiler! then turn it up (strength ) in sim a tad was always best

give it a try

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Well, i have in the past and found 100% to be better because it naturally has a much smaller initial deadzone even when we correct for the ffb clipping of forces from 60%-100% in the response curve by lowering the ingame ffb multi. But now that the steering torque minimum fixes this, i may go back and try 60% and find the right setting for it because the result should be the same on both now (with the correct steering torque minimum force for each).

19. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I'm using 60% force with multi of 0.55 and steering torque minimum 0.02...feels excellent.

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Oh nice. Have you by any chance tried using higher than 2%? Or was that also the highest value before oscillation with 60% overall force strength?