[REL] Symmons Plains Raceway Beta v0.95

Discussion in 'Locations' started by WHAT21A, Oct 13, 2013.

1. MOD43

MOD43 Registered

Well done

thanks mate

2. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Did find one glitch I think. I was going all out along the first straight guardrail and felt like I hit a rock and it threw me for a loop. I just avoid riding the guardrails and haven't seen it again. Beautiful track :)

3. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

For your first attempt at a track for rf2 you've really knocked it out the park.

4. tjc

tjc Registered

First impressions:

Good, it`s a really nice track to drive and a flowing layout, really like it and the track in general looks very well done indeed.

Couple of things I noticed though was the car seemed to come to a very abrupt stop when going in the gravel, only at some spots though as in other spots it seems to drive on in the gravel ok.

I also noticed that when I went to turn at the hairpin on one occasion and very lightly brushed the tyres the car just flipped in the air, came down front first and started spinning wildly (like a ballerina) until I exited from the track.

By no standard was the contact hard to even damage the car but it was sent spinning as I say.

Also noticed quite bad AA on the white lines around the track but that may just be down to my settings.

All in all a really nice track and very nicely done.

5. Galaga

Galaga Banned

OK after testing I'd like to second tjc's observation regarding aliasing. I don't know what the proper terminology is but looks like all that is needed is blurring of some of the distant lines and textures like in other tracks. Additionally, FPS performance is low relative to other tracks, even at low settings. Not sure that is causing that.

6. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

I don´t like much the layout of the circuit, but just log to say that is the most amazing track of rf2 graphically and FFB on Audi (just did 3 laps).
    Thanks. Hope Interlagos now :)

bug: in my system the 3rd option didn´t work (rf2.exe shutdown) when i choose with mode above.
    And take years to load the first time (but strongly believe that is expected for the better graphics of this track).

7. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

Thanks for the feedback everyone, the collision bug is an oversight on my part I completely forgot to do it. For now just stay away from the guard rails, It will be fixed for the next version.

I know that the FPS isn't the best the main reason for this are the tyre walls (the entire track is 1.8million tris, the tyre banks are 1million of that), I wanted to do them in 3d instead of making them a flat wall with a texture on it. I am looking into ways of changing it and getting a compromise. The biggest problem is because i've done so much and you can see pretty much the entire track from anywhere on the track its very difficult to keep the framerate up.

I do recommend turning shadows to high if you normally run with full graphics settings, you won't notice any real change in quality but the framerate (atleast for me) shot up.

Look forward to seeing some screenshots and videos of the track :D

8. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Shaun, bloody well done! Nice to have another well thought out quality mod. It's the little things, such as the various kerb profiles...

EDIT [I think the surface undulations is really nice. Just the right amount to have a bit of feel.]

Hate to do it. Some initial negative feedback. For me the two biggest visual let downs are the tyre walls & Tosch's HDR profiles. Firstly I appreciate and generally like Tosch's handy work however for me both profiles are showing up overexposed on my pro calibrated monitor. Test9 is not to bad though. I do understand there are so many variables and it is hard to please all however hopefully so more profiles will come about in the future. Secondly I've never liked perfectly stacked tyre walls, it is inaccurate and somewhat fake looking...

Cheers again for all the hard work.

B+++

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  9. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

Never apologise or hate providing constructive feedback, even though that sometimes brings the ire of some people I'm certainly not one of them :D

Your the first person to say anything negative regards to the HDR profiles this is not something I know an awful lot about maybe Tosch can shed some light on it.

Really thanks again for all the feedback keep it coming, I'm doing this to learn and all feedback no matter how negative or positive is a good thing as long as it's constructive :D

Shaun

10. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Too easy mate, smooth moves ;)

I don't think this is a problem for you however I thought I'd post it here for others + I will let Flash know as well. On the V8SC mod it locks out the differential ratio option. I do have this set to adjustable via upgrades and can adjust it on other tracks except for this one.

mm

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  11. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

You certainly have!

12. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Yep, I'll make a donation for this to show my support for a job well done.

I haven't been able to put much time into the track so far but first impressions were very good. It's certainly got that feels3 look to it which is a very good thing. The fps hit is heavy but I don't mind that. I think tracks should be built with future GPU capabilities in mind rather than scrimping on quality for older systems. A little more optimisation will be more than welcome though.

Well done.

13. Miro

Miro Registered

Wauu, top notch work here!

First time on this layout for me. Just done a few laps, bumps are really well done and the track looks really cool.
    Thank you very much!

You deserved a beer or two or three sir! ;)

14. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I haven't been able to load the website www.whata-designs.com for the last few hours, did the spike in traffic break something? Or is it working for everyone else?

15. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

Works fine for me and I'm still getting plenty of traffic coming through the site, must be on your end.

16. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Right, it turned out to be some sort of dns problem when using my ISP's DNS servers. I changed my settings to use google's public dns and it loads fine.

17. gabriel666

gabriel666 Registered

Thank you Shaun, Tosch and ISI, excellent work guys!!!

18. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

A really beautiful track, thank you for doing an Aussie one!

I get this too, it is also a problem on ISI tracks. From an old thread about antialiasing in rF2:
    I'm not sure what that means but it sounds relevant.

19. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Oh yeah, two more things. Others reminded me about how great the surface is. So important and brilliantly done. Adds so much to the experience, immersion and challenge. Awesome.

Second thing is grip. I like it. But possibly too much? Or maybe your default rubber is helping? Not sure. But I like it so just an observation b/c not sure if may be too much grip but on second thought I am using your rubber file so maybe all is good.

Any thoughts regarding aliasing?

20. asehauDLM

asehauDLM Registered

Thank you very much for your hard work on that track!