Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Thanks to Marc's guidance I found where you actually can update the pixel density from within the steamvr settings. Within steam VR setting, go to the development menu and scroll down (I originally missed the scroll) there's a slider for ppd down the bottom of development.

This thankfully makes it nice and easy to increase for rf2 and then switch back to 1 for AC/iRacing etc.

Edit - just to add, this does the exact same as editing the file, I checked the file after making a change and it automatically enters the line in file as advised in post 1 of this thread.

2. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

I wish we didn't need to go near SteamVR with the Rift. That thing is just so buggy for most Rift users that it's depressing, while most software with native support works flawlessly

3. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I agree with your dislike for Rift+SteamVR combination - I was disappointed to learn that this route was taken. Not only in rF2, in other racing game using SVR I have poor experience, flashes, jumping image on FPS drop, not like in pCars or AC.

However, it is also understandable why they did that - they need to cover all headsets. And, I am sure situation will improve, it is really not that bad even right now, even on my system that Oculus barks "below specs" :)

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  4. elbo

elbo Registered

Anybody find a way to make the menus less buggy? I have it to the point now where in game it is half decent but in the menus everything is a slide show and certain boxes are blacked out.
    They should consider doing like AC and just leave the menus on the screen and only drop you to VR on track. That way we could use something like virtual desktop or bigscreen to view that menus and tab to motec instead of the on / off headset festival we have now.

walshtimothy likes this.
  5. Magus

Magus Registered

Well there is a whole new UI being released, so any time spent doing anything on the old UI is wasted time.

Narrowbackwing and MarcG like this.
  6. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

I had a modded ui --black edition-- changing it back to native ui it now work and run better .

Also I think I remember 397 saying they might do the menu web version something like AC .

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I prefer setting resolution to lower as then the on screen rfactor2 display is not full screen , doesn't effect VR visual

I can also stop & click / adjust my motion profile on monitor too

Ps I wonder if new 397 UI is very far away

8. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Somebody posted some observations a while ago and I never posted them here. I expanded on them a bit by doing my own tests. I'm not sure it extends to our Rift brothers, but for Vive owners, the COMPOSITOR renderTargetMultiplier actually does impact your performance some.

What is COMPOSITOR renderTargetMultiplier, you ask? It's the render resolution of non-apps. Like the Steam VR UI. If you lower it, Steam will look really ugly while in VR. Why is this relevant, you ask? Because Steam is always rendering, for example, the "White Room" that you warp back into when there's a glitch in your game. This is always running so it can immediately switch if you lose rendering of your game. And if you lower the COMPOSITOR renderTargetMultiplier, that "White Room", or whatever you've changed it to, will demand fewer background resources.

I did tests and found that .5 was the sweetspot for my system. Anything lower brought minimal performance gain. Anything higher made Steam look much nicer, but also increased demands. Here's my SteamVR Config:

{
    "collisionBounds" : {
    "CollisionBoundsStyle" : 4
    },
    "keyboard" : {
    "TutorialCompletions" : 1
    },
    "perfcheck" : {
    "heuristicActive" : false
    },

"compositor" : {
    "renderTargetMultiplier" : 0.5
    },

"steamvr" : {
    "allowInterleavedReprojection" : false,
    "allowReprojection" : true,
    "mirrorViewGeometry" : "0 0 1080 600",
    "renderTargetMultiplier" : 1.6
    }
    }

Narrowbackwing and Adrianstealth like this.
  9. whip

whip Registered

Game is running ok for a beta. Seems comparable to ac with mods. Even with asw it seemed smooth. Not as smooth as official content in ac but still good for a first pass

This is just using normal in game settings. You don't have to go messing with anything else apart from pixel density ( mines still at default)

10. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

I have a small problem in VR, on some Tracks (only MOD) the Camera/View stutter in some places sporadically, which looks a bit like a recalibrate or a Stutter in Game (on the Monitor, you cannot See this). On original Tracks, I can not See this,Problem, someone has an idea how I can minimize or solve? Thanks in advance

11. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

There very little you can fix with mods that have that problem until they update there work .
    Your better off using official content or mods that are optimised well .

You may try turning things low and AA low or off , it might help .

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I may be onto something with the annoying "grey flashes" Sensor Bug with SteamVR & Oculus, if someone else who gets them can try this please:
    Go into Device Manager -> Oculus VR Devices -> Rift Sensor, right click it and select Properties then Power Management, then Untick the "Allow the computer..." box.
    Then do the same for *all* the USB (Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers) devices that have a Power Management tab and report back if this helps.
    I have removed the steamvr.vrsettings file hack to see if this is a more permanent fix for this irritating issue.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  13. lockzar

lockzar Registered

Just a VR test @ HTC Vive :rolleyes:

14. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I do not get flashes, but Oculus Tray Tool also has power management tweaks, might be worth a try. From my personal experience, moving Camera higher, and further helps with tracking as well.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's nothing to do with tracking as other SteamVR games/apps run flawlessly hence I'm trying to figure out why :)
    Hoping this latest power management trick might be the answer, will play again later and see.

16. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

In my case, I used to get those flashes due to poor tracking in SVR, and I did not have problem with other games. But hopefully power settings will help.

Marc, have you tried to see what happens with Oculus and reprojection settings in SVR? It will be a week till I can run rF2 again, but curious if those settings are ignored, or even harmful? My observation so far, those are not necessary with Oculus, ASW is handled by Oculus software anyway.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yep already stated in this thread the reprojection does nothing with Oculus because of its own ASW :)

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

hmm nope that didn't fix it either :confused:

19. Ceolmor

Ceolmor Registered

This worked for me to get rid of the regular grey flashes in my Rift. I cannot remember where I read this. I thought on this forum. Go to your Steam file in your programs folder. Inside the config file you will find a file at the bottom called steamvr. Open it with Notepad. You need to add the line

"forceFadeOnBadTracking" : false,

My file looks like below:

{
    "collisionBounds" : {
    "CollisionBoundsColorGammaA" : 0
    },
    "dashboard" : {
    "enableDashboard" : false
    },
    "steamvr" : {
    "forceFadeOnBadTracking" : false,
    "mirrorViewGeometry" : "0 0 1080 600"
    }
    }

20. Bruce0440

Bruce0440 Registered

Adrianstealth the last update increase the perfomance a lot in VR, do you can check and comfir it?

Adrianstealth likes this.