rFactor2 Test Build 107 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Josh Pedersen

Josh Pedersen Registered

Yes I know I'm dieing to get a turbo car please hurry with it

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Set AA to something normal (multisample or supersample) and check if that helps

3. addyduss

addyduss Registered

good fps boost with that build. For the first time i can max out settings and still have smooth ride with any amount of cars at any track.

4. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Graphically its so much better than the previous builds, more fluid, looks like the reflection and the shadows has more resolution, also they seems to load faster, the physics also feels different but like it more.
    I think this is a step foward IMHO.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

ATI card here. No change in graphics performance vs. 101 (careful to ensure identical settings). Only two real problems with graphics that have been there since rFactor 1 oh so many years ago: must use Super Sampling AA to get anything resembling decent looking graphics, which kills performance (other sims look just fine with adaptive multi-sample AA), and with all settings maxed, the jaggies, particularly in the distance and on certain textures are pretty bad (whereas on some other things, including all of cockpit except shadows, it looks fine).

107 has much nicer HDR (you can drive a car with a windscreen from cockpit view "normally" now) and improved FFB and physics for certain models like the Clio.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

This is where I'm hoping recent communication between ISI & AMD will aid in better in game AA with these cards, time will tell.

7. osella

osella Registered

Well AA is extremely subjective matter, since I started using bigger monitors I never felt need to use any AA at all, I just don't notice the jaggies while being concentrated on racing, of course it makes huge difference if you're staring at screenshots but I don't need it ingame.
    Which is a decent advantage for me, because high #AA and/or supersampling take a lot of resources.

I only use AF because this I can notice even in top speeds, it makes distant trees or cable wires much sharper, or even prevent from disappearing..

8. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Well I do not know how you hold front of the screen more than 5 minutes Osella.

To me what bothers me most is not the jaggies, it also, is the "vibration" that occurs in the textures and distant objects. Record this video a while using MSAA X8, watch in HD.

This vibration is produced only by accelerating the engine with the car stationary. Driving seems to be dismantling the circuit which shakes everything and the only way to avoid this is to use a minimum X4 SSAA, with all that this implies for performance.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, that is part of the poor quality AA that I refer to. You can see it show-up in other glaring ways, too, like the shadows inside the cockpit or the curbs/kerbs on the way up the first big hill in Monte Carlo.

It is headache-inducing, unfortunately, and destroys the sense of immersion, which otherwise is top-notch. The lighting and imagery itself is more than adequate for a racing sim (I am not looking for pCARS graphics), but we need to get rid of the shimmering, flickering and jaggies ASAP. From reports here, it seems they are much worse on ATI than nVIDIA.

10. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It is not about AA. It is about texture filtering.

Interesting thing. Your words may be translated into: sims must provide non-realistic gfx ;)

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

"must"? That's a weird interpretation of what he said.

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Agreed I did not say or mean "must." I am happy to have slightly inferior graphics if the physics and other gameplay/sim issues are superior. If we can have superior both, fantastic. Graphics without the sim quality is not my cup of tea (but obviously many others want this based on sales of competing racing games).

If it's texture filtering that produces the jaggies, OK, then it's the texture filtering that needs to get fixed ASAP.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

My HDR is working after all

I think it's the sun onclusion thingy that's not, coming out of the Monaco tunnel I use to get a nice overlight effect

Has that gone now? Is this sun onclusion not working now ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  14. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Actually I got a headache just yesterday from using rF2... Could also be the wrong v-sync method. Turning off all vibrations in the plr file is the first thing I do after every new build. Also deleting the mirror movements... gives a way smoother gameplay and you can concentrate more on driving...

But I still get a sick feel driving rF2 and I would say it's because of those jaggies and vibrating non aliasing stuff... nothing toooooooo serious, but it sure is distracting...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2012
  15. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I don't use AA either, often I use trilinear to get better FPS and even textures and track detail low, med, rarely highest setting. Sometimes I forget them and have screenshot which I'm perfectly happy about without even realizing some options not being at high setting or even turned off.

Like shadows, I have them off completely, too big impact for performance to justify keeping them on.

As I say, if you spot graphical imperfections, you are not going fast enough.

But of course, it would be nice if everything would work like intended.

This was great 'sim' at it's time, can't count hours that I played this game:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.uvlist.net/game-99229-Road+Race

When I try to drive fast lap time, I still would not need much more from graphics as going at the limit at least I have no time to look around much as I'm thinking ahead of actions and only things that matters are line and how to go as fast as possible on that line.

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Satire...or a serious response???

Either way, you proved the point others of us are making!

17. driftlegende94

driftlegende94 Registered

I have a question to you guys.
    How do I get rid of the black stripe on the top and bottom of the screen during replay?

driftlegende

18. Tosch

Tosch Registered

press "Enter" :D

19. driftlegende94

driftlegende94 Registered

really?
    lol my bad ^^

thank you ;)

20. tjc

tjc Registered

Or edit this line in your player file:

[ Graphic Options ]
    Allow Letterboxing="0" // whether we allow letterboxing (during replays, for example)

If the "0" is a "1" make it a "0"

:)