Rfactor 2 future: Should we (or just I) be worried?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christos Segkounas, Jun 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterchen

peterchen Registered

LOL! You ever driven an hour online-race with this cars?? Seems not!
    You have no fcking clue what you´re talking about! LOL again.
    Come online with a serious league, you will soon know your masters I guess. Seems you know nothing about racing.

Edit: would like to see how you manage this ´75 mod:
    http://www.simracers.de/forum/index.php?page=Index

demerzel likes this.
  2. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

3. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Chill guys please.

muz_j and buddhatree like this.
  4. Comante

Comante Registered

If the problem is that he acquired too much skill in those years and RF2 is no more engaging for him.. maybe it's time to fly higher :
    http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/ :D

5. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Heh! Maybe I should look at that

Just to be clear about one thing though, at no point, at no point whatsoever, never, I mean never, have I claimed to have any fantastical driving skills of any description at all. I just like to make that clear. Not here, not ever on ISI forum. :)

pkelly likes this.
  6. Emery

Emery Registered

@hardtohandle - we've raced many times and in my opinion you're a master of tire-shredding sideways driving! :)

bwana likes this.
  7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

LOL! Exactly THIS was my guess!

But: when he´s driving the GT500 like "brick on the throttle" all the time, he won´t get good lap times even for one lap!
    That´s not the way it works here hardtohandle!

8. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

What kind of junk argument is that? You appear to clutching at straws, is that the best you can do?

That is obviously no kind of argument against anything, just the usual childishness and intolerance. We can all come here and put forth our points of view Peter, if that's ok with you?

Maybe you should heed Christopher Elliotts advice.

9. bwana

bwana Registered

Interviewer is Australian Donny Southerland. Havnt seen him in decades

10. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

"if everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario

Suits to what @hardtohandle said. I find USF2000 VERY engaging. Dynamic wise it is the best car out there. Not really my style of car really but I enjoy the hell out of it especially at tracks like Nola. Takes some finesse to navigate the car around those corners. Same goes to GT500 which is much more my kind of car. Once you get it up to speed and I mean some proper speed it turns into a magic zone. I'm absolutely obsessed with driving as fast as possible with highest possible efficiency both on tire wear and fuel usage. Maybe because I love endurance racing mostly for this, racing not only others but yourself and it is not a "go faster and faster", it's all about pacing yourself and knowing when not to push and when to push and how much. Saying that new cars are becoming dull, too easy, noobmode... that's just ignorant. We are so used to the edgy, hard cars of the past both from rFactor and other sims due to technical limitations. As we are getting more and more advanced in that area it naturally becomes more organic to drive. More organic to drive usually translates into easier cars to drive but harder to race. It gets harder and harder to extract those last bits of speed without sacrificing sth else. I had lots of talks with my buddies with whom I've been working on many cars in the past and we all agree that with each improvement to car physics. Aero, chassis flex, tires... you know that you are going in the right direction when loopholes that were there in the past that were exploited are disappearing. Things that you could get away with both on physics building side or then with bonkers setups in the past, just no longer work. There are still some shortcomings in different areas but they are going to be patched up sooner or later, making the cars for a semi competent person even easier and rightly so.

I've been sim racing for 10 years and also done some testing with different cars on some tracks over the years. When it comes to sim racing what I witnessed is that cars from the past, we can use as an example FR3.5, the very first one or old GTR GT1, 370Z, first FISI. Those were difficult cars to drive, let alone race it. They were actually difficult to even do 2 cohesive laps in a row. I remember races when there was for example 20-30 people. 2-3 guys up to 2 s faster than anyone else behind them, then there was a group of guys that were making lots of mistakes, spinning, shredding tires, doing a fast lap and 2 slow laps afterwards, then 1 decent one again. Then there was nothing else behind for a long time and at the end there were these 3-4 guys that could barely exit pits without crashing into sth. It felt like we are in some sort of twilight zone. 2-3 guys at the front feeling smug about themselves, asking: "LOL, why can't you go as fast as we do? Hehe" The middle guys trying to stay alive while trying to actually climb up on the position ladder and those few guys at the back spinning at almost every corner but getting that why they spin just by barely touching the throttle.

New cars are way more advanced, way more organic and I can tell you from experience... Cars on track, especially those made for racing or even just street/track purpose cars are easy as hell to drive even at 90% of the car's capabilities, as long as you are doing the right things, right movement, right timing for each input and you focus on that without any irrational fear that often is a bad advisor, any car that is dialed properly and is fairly let's say: "new generation" of cars, I tell you (as in general you, all of you) you can put a 80 year old grandpa in any racing car, if he gets the basics of driving properly, has no irrational fear, he can drive fast. 90% of the capabilities easily extracted with enough time given. It's the last 5% that's where the car gets difficult and tricky, when the car starts to bite in the ass like hardtohandle wants every car to drive like even at 60% of the car's capabilities. Car becomes harder to drive when you reach around 1-1.5s off the ultimate pace of a car, tires at given conditions, and then those last few tenths of those last 1-1.5s is where the really good ones have to manhandle a car. That is exactly what is going on in rF2 nowadays. Can it be improved? Sure! Is it 100% right now? Nooooooo. Is it 10x better than few years ago? No... because it's 20x better. If you need ridiculously hard cars to drive (which would make them fantasy cars or fantasy physics so to speak) hardtohandle, just to feel better about yourself, to feel pro when you feel like driving at a gunpoint, then I don't really know what to say. It's a hobby, very engaging hobby, requires a lot of passion and dedication but if you feel that you have it too easy nowadays, you can always attach weights to your wrists, wear a helmet that you smeared the visor with mud whatever makes you happy but I'm telling you that if you want realism that what realism is, a thing that anybody with basic knowledge and skills can do quite well and only the small portion of those people are skilled enough and dedicated enough to get closer to the limit but before that it is just... easy. The only hard part is getting used to this, for some it takes few laps, for some weeks/months. I've seen both in real life.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

"Becoming one" with the car happens much easier in real life because you drive the car through the seat-of-the-pants feeling and G forces, whereas a sim car you drive 90% with visual/audio cues and the FFB (the quickest aliens actually used to turn FFB off or lower it to minimal, so they drive basically by visual cues). Sim racing is not comparable to real life because the sensory feedback you get is different.

Besides, I can't figure out what would be a motive for all sim makers to make their sims too hard to drive. I can understand that one sim gets it wrong, but to have all sims too hard to drive is such a dumb move, because it will actually reduce sales when less new people can adapt to the car. If anything, there is marketing pressure to make a sim easier to drive than in real life, because you get all the gamepad guys and casual "weekend sim racers" engaged as well.

Either way, I don't think rF2 developers have any hidden motives to make their cars too hard or easy to drive. It's just probably that the data available and circumstances have made some cars feel easier, others harder.

Raintyre likes this.
  12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yes! Very good post! To turn it in 4 sentences:
    hardtohandle you seem to have no real experiance with this car(s).
    You don´t know how the Gt500 behaves in race conditions.
    You still don´t know about the tyres in rF2.
    You missunderstand rF2 as a hotlap-simulator. Learn racing (online)!

demerzel and Ronnie like this.
  13. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

Just curious, how many people here have extensive experience with the real cars simulated in rF2? (as in owning one or driving one frequently under different setups/ conditions) Or at least one of them?

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Online race SHOWDOWN ?

peterchen likes this.
  15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

right lol :D
    During these years some real life drivers did some laps in the EEC GT3 mod and they always prised it, yet some "expert" simracers will say it has glue on the tires so they don't like. There was a driver (his name is Jens something) that used it even back in GTR2 days to practice for the Dubai 24h

16. Emery

Emery Registered

Peter, that is definitely a mischaracterization of hardtohandle. He is very much an online competitor that races rather than hotlaps.

Kelju_K likes this.
  17. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Stop being logical, reasonable and rational.
    This thread seems to be devolving into insults, accusations and sarcastic comments just like most online forum conversations :)

Godwin's law may kick in any time:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  18. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

It's fine to have this discussion, but it's not fine to personally insult others on here.
    Closing this thread, it's going nowhere now.

CamiloNino and bwana like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.