Rfactor 2 future: Should we (or just I) be worried?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christos Segkounas, Jun 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

imo they can leave the road cars as old lol I'm only interested in cars i can race in. The megane is an awesome car in dire need of updating... then theres the classic f cars... but we cant have it all can we lads?

In PP medium/high you dont get god rays.. ultra does look miles better except it kills replays.

2. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Very true, and unless they were both familiar with simming itself--the PC hardware, the various driving tools we use, etc. I doubt either one would know if they had really given it a true test were they asked to try it.

I recall a few discussions about this when we were developing WSC 1970 in regard to asking Vic Elford to try our 917s and tell us what he thought: it seemed that without ensuring he first had a good driving platform to use, and a large image...perhaps even a motion-platform...we might end up selling ourselves short even if our physics were pretty good (and in the end we never had him test it).

But there must be something about all this that DOES entice real-racers, as there are more than a few out there.*

[* including one real gent who raced four men back in his day (mostly in UK F3), all of whom went on to become F1 World Champions...and a fifth over on this side of the pond who probably would have. He's been a simmer (and shifter driver) since at least 2000].

Jos Verstappen's progressions with his own simming and simming setup/rig (he has a few videos online) are current example--last I saw JV was using three large screens and some sort of motion-platform. We've just got to get him away from that "tunnel view" thing he still favors...lol!

They are out there. Otherwise their alternatives might be: too much golf...or "tee many martoonies." :D

CS

RaceNut likes this.
  3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

so why do they recommend using ultra PP? If they know not even top of the range gpu can handle it why make it an option? Maybe it is something they are going to optimise still?

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Well there will be another GPU generation out in less than a year, which can perhaps run ultra. They got to plan ahead when they make engine changes. When rF2 came out in 2012 it also ran like crap on the existing hardware, but then GTX 780 and 980 came out, and people could max it out easily. For now I think they've said use ultra for screenshots.

demerzel and Christopher Snow like this.
  5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

it ran like sh%t on my 780. I would have thought that when making a game you would be making it to run well on current hardware and not think so much about what may happen in the future as you want income now not in two years.
    I'm hoping that these initial changes and performance issues are so they can optimise the engine as they go further along.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  6. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

As I recall it, rF2 actually ran pretty well on my then-new GTX 580 right from the first day. I built my last new PC in anticipation of that release and I remember being pretty happy with it...and old Spa just rocked.

I'm trying to get this release running on a new Pimax 4K/GTX 1080 Ti combo, and I imagine it will compare favorably to the large 1080P projected image I've been using (once again) for about a week. Seeing and feeling nothing yet that's causing me to worry about rF2 or its development trends, but I'm only just back in the water again too. No sharks so far. :D

CollierT11 likes this.
  7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If I am not wrong, it is useful only for taking pictures.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Every sim dev plans for the future, there's no point making a game for today when in one year there will be new tech to take advantage of as you can't! You have to remember this and other racing Sims are in "constant development"...that in itself means they're planning for tomorrow not just for today.

RaceNut and F1Aussie like this.
  9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Oh
    oh, okay

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

What a crap! Sim has to be usable NOW and with current standards of hardware!
    No point in developing a currently released program/sim/game for the future when noone could use it, or content is all over the place quality-wise! I for one would like to have a sim that is mature and where I know that all content works evenly good.
    What is it good for when you can use content A perfectly good, but content B let my hardware struggle as hell, because creator "plans for the future" in a "constant development-process"???
    Why are you defending every singel bit here regarding rF2? Your statement is one of the crudest/strangest things I´ve ever read here!

Cote Dazur likes this.
  11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I'm more worried about the future of popular cars lacking modders :)

12. Filip

Filip Registered

There is a refund option (probably was back then too) and there is a demo and there is a choice of other sims with polished unified content that aren't developed any more.
    Of course everyone wants quantity too but I believe quality is more important.

13. stonec

stonec Registered

No, his statement makes perfect sense, and it was regarding the ultra post FX option, not content. Remember when Crysis 1 came out? Guess what, there was not a single GPU on the market that could run it maxed out. In fact it's still a struggle for budget GPU's today, and the game sold well, you could still run it at lower settings and make it playable. New GPU generations get released every year, whereas a big engine change like adding Yebis post effects is something that a developer does maybe once in five years. In a year or less (if optimization and GPU development continues), ultra will be usable for more than just screenshots for those who are obsessed with using the highest settings.

14. rf2wec

rf2wec Registered

Me too, I got a lot quicker with VR

RaceNut and MarcG like this.
  15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I never said they don't make them for now, I was stating they make them for the future as well as now...Kunos, S397, Sector3 & iRacing etc are all making sims for use today as well as what will become of the future - that's pretty obvious to anyone really. ISI did it from the start with rF1 then RF2, if you've failed to see that during the process over the years then maybe you need to learn what "constant development" actually means, as todays games in general don't just stop being made from the 1.0 first release any more like the (good) old days!

As for "Why are you defending every singel bit here regarding rF2?", well that is also simple, S397 are in the very early stages of development of RF2 and their vision - from what I've read and listened too - is very good, there's no point ranting & raving about pointless items like a spoilt brat when the balls barely started rolling, there's a long way to go yet and I'm quite enjoying it so far thanks :) ...and believe me, if they screw up the AI then I'll be the first person banging on Marcels door :D

RaceNut, Nimugp and bwana like this.
  16. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

all they would have had to do to make you happy, was that they would have left the "ultra", and perhaps "high" pp out of the game and call the remaining thats left "low" and "high".
    yayyy! maxed out settings!! everybody happy! or....not.
    i have allways wondered why, when people buy the fastest gpu, they expect it to run everything maxed out in every title????

im very happy how everything runs in my end with 1070. i dont expect to get maxed out settings, and what i get is +200 fps with slightly less than maxed out when i leave pp to low. tough im only on 60Hz 1080p, but im not that much into what the game looks like anyway.
    it's nice if it looks gorgeus, but how it drives is my main concern. and i believe that it should stay as challenging as it has been so far.

hotlapping is not racing. i feel that people has forgotten that. i see the people complaining about the grip level, do relatively fast laps but consistency is absent. then they get angry because it's too "snappy" or "driving on ice" because they loose it in second lap of the RACE.
    all because they drive it like they stole it all the time?
    perhaps those people should try to get their laptimes within 1 second in 10 minutes online race first. you notice that you cant drive it like you stole it all the time. the difficulty level of the isi cars start to make much more sense when you try to be consistent instead of hotlapping.

this is my last post on this matter. i sincerely hope that the 397 crew maintains the racing sim we have, and not turn it into hotlapping sim.
    Kelju_K out!

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Crysis was a reference in the latest visuals and tech. Like rF2 shipping with pCARS graphics in 2013. That wasn't really the case, was it?

avenger82 likes this.
  18. Ef123

Ef123 Registered

people still think the harder cars are to drive = the more realistic sim...

trust me, driving a sim is harder (mostly) than driving the actual car. (technically, not physically)

trust me, F1 teams' simulators are easier to drive than customer sims' f1 mods. you can see it just by watching amateurs take on them.

go to the nearest go kart track and drive a go kart. you'll naturally adapt to it in a single lap. will feel so innate. you have all the control, its almost impossible to spin, you react immediately. you become one with the car.

afterwards go drive any sim you want, rf2, ac, ams whatever, any go kart mod or official content. you wont be one with the car you'll only be a remote control of remote controls to a simulation. it will be so much harder to drive it (again, not physically) and you'll keep spinning out let it be braking or accelerating.

if pro drivers were on the edge at every acceleration point with no room for mistakes, there would be really few in the sim world who would finish races.

also dont underestimate yourself. physically you might not be able to drive an f1 car on the limits, but most of us have been long time sim racers and have experiences in the real world. a regular guy still wont be able to keep even the easy single seaters on the track in simulation.

avenger82, Kokomo, Cote Dazur and 5 others like this.
  19. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Well if that ISI Brabham 75 car is anything to go by, I msyelf can drive F1 cars 100% to their limit first thing in the morning when I'm still half asleep. I might keep my eyes shut for half the lap. So that can't be right.

Same for Radical and USF200 and GT500.

In GT500 I guess we could take a brick with us in real life, put that down on the gas pedal and just sit back and relax - steer the car a bit as it amazingly whizzes around all the corners! That'll be grand.

I agree with a lot of what a lot of people are saying on both sides if this debate. I don't think difficulty for the sake of being difficult is a good thing, I don't think difficulty equals realism, I don't even think realism by itself may even be a good thing. At the end of the day this is all an illusion more than anything else. Maybe that illusion was never anything like realistic even in ISI days, but it worked and worked good. Now it doesn't.

That's because you do 7 laps in a new mod and that's about as fast as you can go. You can do another 150 laps after that if you like and maybe improve by 2 tenths. That's simply not right. That results in boring races where nobody is making any mistakes. Race experience is what it's all about, and with these new cars it's just not very interesting to many of us. Kelju right in what he says about consistency - its far too easy to get good lap times and massive consistency. Realistic or not, It's just boring and not much overtaking is happening in races.

With all these new S397 era cars, if I see someone running a league and I get that car and try it out, each time your bored of it after a few laps in practice and I'm done. No more steadily improving throughout the whole season, you can do that all in 15 minutes now.

I gave up on this sim a long time ago when ISI was in charge, so I've got nothing to lose. Even so, it's a great tragedy the cars have gone this way. RF2 is only sim I have any interest in. But I wish S397 all the best with it.

tafkams likes this.
  20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

After updating my dx9 install to the latest build all the problems with inverted FFB and limited speed were gone as others also reported.

I therefore repeated the tests with both LH and RH cars. This time I used @Lazza's DAM plug-in which is better than regular Motec plugin for many purposes, especially FFB related ones.

I could check that massive circular trajectory for LH was minimised but noticeable with respect to RH straightness.

For tire loads as expected the results were awful for LH. Below 30 kph aero effects were neglectable. Front tires showed 50 kg difference (150 vs 200) with default setup. That's a lot more than the recommended 10 kg maximum difference. I can't remember RH values but they were well balanced.

Is this behaviour considered correct?

I will post an image with the info when I get back to my PC. Hopefully in the mentioned update with corrected AI speed, LH version can be also corrected. I don't like RH cars!! :)

Emery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.