Rfactor 2 future: Should we (or just I) be worried?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christos Segkounas, Jun 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Btw. about karting. Have people with vr headsets tried karts? I just did that and it was very different experience than what it was with triple screens. I wasn't too much of a fan of the rf2 karts before but driving in vr it feels like even the physics would make more sense now.

I have very limited experience of driving karts, but the junior kart didn't feel now too much different from what i have driven in real world.

2. Filip

Filip Registered

In a motion rig with VR and good FFB wheel everything should come more natural because of all the cues you are getting.
    Some users reported immediate improvements in lap times coming from screens to VR due to better spacial awareness, you can see apex better, breaking points, cars around you...
    Therefore I believe better rig can definitely make someone improve his lap time if for nothing else than at least for adding immersion which is a big factor in quicker learning. More immersion (fun) -> caring more -> learning quicker.
    I am on single screen with high fov and when there is no sense of speed in a sim it takes much longer for me to learn breaking points and be consistent and I am pretty sure that with VR it would be easier.

So my point was that same person in the end can maybe have same lap times on crappy rig and on top rig but but journey of achieving those lap times would be quicker and much more fun on proper rig.

Louis and MarcG like this.
  3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Nope I disagree whole heartedly,as long as you have a wheel,your rig doesn't matter,if you look at iracing for example,some if not most aliens use a desk chair along with a dfgt or g27.
    It's a myth put forth by those who need to justify their purchases,no rig will magically make you quick,if you're rubbish,you're, rubbish and if you're quick,you're quick,simples

The most improved factor is practice

Tackset likes this.
  4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I got faster with VR, fact!

bluet, mike.m and Cote Dazur like this.
  5. not_him_59

not_him_59 Registered

sorry but you are mistaken there pud :eek:. It does matter, but perhaps what you meant to say was that it will not turn you into an alien which I would agree with. In changing my rig from one that could move up to an inch from left to right to a rig that is totally rigid has made between 1 and 2 seconds a lap differenece for me because my kit is now reading my inputs more accurately and it is that which makes the difference. It doesn't make me a faster driver but it does result in shorter lap times. :cool:

Tackset, Guimengo and MarcG like this.
  6. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I have two "rigs" one for me and one for my son,my rig consists of a office chair that's free to swivel,an office desk and triple 24".

My sons consists of 80/20 custom built triple and seat frame,with bucket seat,I'm as fast on my rig as I am on my sons,my rig has loadcel while he just has g27 pedals.

I'm one to 1.5 secs off alien pace in either rig,triples didn't make me faster either,they just made it a little better to race people with.

Out of all the sim forums I'm in,the vast majority who have hi end gear,claim it doesn't make them faster,but there's always a few that swear blind that it does.

If anything it will make you more consistent,not faster,that part is down to the person

7. Comante

Comante Registered

Even if just make things more fun, its worth the investment.

kantenflimmern, bwana and MarcG like this.
  8. Louis

Louis Registered

perfect sim rig to me starts at 2:13. But playing rf2

*but if that lag to what is showing on screen and the steering wheel is happenning in game it is same as nothing :/

Or this

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  9. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

This guy is a lot more educated in Radicals than I am, having been personally interested in buying one and claiming he has spoken to many involved in SR3 racing.
    According to him at least the RF2 Radical has a numb nose when it should instead have a very positive front end and if anything it's the back that should be stepping out at corner entry, not the front pushing.
    Ain't that nice and safe.
    We can all be so safe now, thank God.
    Of course that's just his opinion and all.

10. demerzel

demerzel Registered

He never drove the car in real life before. It does not drive correctly. It feels like a fantasy car. :rolleyes:

11. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

A better rig leads to better immersion and more fun driving, if a better rig or any part of it was really worth 0.5 second per lap we will all know about it by now.:)
    That said, a set of load cell pedals and VR did not make me much faster but I feel they allow me to race in a more predictable way, particularly online within traffic, in a way that they ask less concentration controlling braking and driving surrounded by other cars. :D
    Those two elements of my rig did not make a faster driver, but I believe they made me a better one.o_O

12. Comante

Comante Registered

Modern sportcars can be completely upset just changing few clicks on the setup here and there, you need to know what you are doing obviously. I feel quite silly to judge the accuracy in the simulation of a car on the oversteer/understeer aspect. That aspect can be influenced simply with driving technique, unless it's really really extremely over or under by setup.
    I don't even see why the car should be released with a competitive/fast setup. Garage lovers would have little to explore, and unexperienced drivers would have less chance to understand and love the car.

demerzel and MarcG like this.
  13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Online: "Does anybody have a setup?"
    Leagues: "I am not good at setting up a car, I'm not competitive in it."
    Single-player: create setup, assign as default, edit .json so all setups are fixed so that AI can copy setup (not good for non-spec cars), so AI is competitive ; not good at setups, can't dial out some aspects or find the car fast and enjoyable out-of-the-box.

Every car should ship with more than one setup (like NR03/iR) but the game doesn't have a system for it. There are always people who need non-optimal setups so they can stay on the road, of course.

Emery likes this.
  14. Comante

Comante Registered

Ohh that definitely would be a good choice, like it would be nice to have a virtual engineer that can tweak setups simply managing few variables .. like it was in RF1, nothing too deep, but it could help many people doing their homeworks

15. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

I knew the car would be fun to drive, that much I said I expected.
    But if I look past yours and others opinions with no personal experience of the real thing and focus on the reports of those who have actually driven the car or got feedback from such racers, it apears quite possible the handling of the car is misrepresented.
    Check the appropriate thread for more such feedback.
    Apparently no such thing exists as a "safe" setup that turns a Radical SR3 into something with a lifeless front end.
    You can tune a formula to understeer as much as you want, by nature and by design it will always have a weighty, pointy front end, like a kart.
    On the other hand you can tune a 911 for a lot of front end grip ,make whatever changes you feel necessary, the car by design has a light front end, it will never give you the same feeling of tracking the road as any Ferrari will do.
    So keep tuning away, at the end what you get is the usual "physics abuse" setup where you end up bumping the brake on turn-in to get the car sliding to go faster than anyone else driving conventionally, at least for one lap.
    You won't see me complain about the lateral weight distribution on the left hand side cars, I do not know what the weight distribution is on the real thing and unless I know I cannot comment, I will not cry about it just because it seems strange, like some do.
    So maybe they designed the car with right hand side on their mind and they brought out a left hand side version without redesigning the car, repositioning the engine, the transmission, whatever it takes to counter driver weight on such a light vehicle.
    Don't know, can't complain about it.

16. stonec

stonec Registered

What the guy says on that video is that S397 probably have all the numbers more or less correct, but that the car is not "dialed in" 100% yet. I assume they got all the numbers from the license, so it's probably not the case that the car was sloppily built. Sometimes with correct numbers the handling is not 100% what expected. Actually, I would say that happens with most of the cars. When you compare the same car in different sims, they almost always handle differently, and I don't think it's due to the construction of the car, but rather due to differences in the underlying sims. rF2 still approximates a lot of things, like the heat transfer from the road to tire totally missing.

17. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

using real life data does not mean realistic car behaviour in simulators, not until the sim models everything that happens in real life and gets it 100% right.
    which is never.
    trusting too much on the simulator and it's capability to act correct when you input real life values is naive thinking, and seems to be a trend among software developers nowdays.
    Yes, they have build a wonderful thing(s), i give you that as prob everybody does, but sometimes it feels like they have forgotten how complicated THIS "simulation"* where we live is.

If we are to simulate, and correlate to real world, the fastest simraces in the world should be the only guys that get the same laptimes as the fastest guys in real life. now, however, that has been forgotten completely, and every noob gets to be as fast as his hero driver in real world??
    it's disrespectful for the skills of the real world guys imo. they have sacrificed a lot in their life to the dedication to get those skills!!!
    the rest of us mortals (hobbyist simracers) should be happy to get within 2 seconds of the realworld guys laptimes.

But whenever you try to point that out, the defence is allways the same; we use real life data, it's not my fault it's easy to drive.
    real life data my a**!!!! how about that real life data as the laptimes the real life guys do????
    yeah yeah, everybody behind their desktop is now Michael Schumacher... DANG! when did that happen?

*some believe that there's a big chance that WE, are in simulated world. if it's true, it's a masterpiece;)

Louis likes this.
  18. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

If I'm just living a simulation...

...it doesn't mean my FFB still isn't still goofed up. :D

Louis and Guimengo like this.
  19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

According to telemetry maintaing steering straight provokes LH radical to describe a circular trajectory while RH one describes a quasi linear trajectory. Tire loads show a significant imbalance as well. I hope we can now agree that it seems to be a bug.

I tried it with DX9 and for some reason FFB was inverted. There you could clearly feel the wheel pulling to one side with LH version.
    Tests were done using keyboard in order to maintain steering straight.

upload_2017-7-5_18-5-5.png

SRGP and Guimengo like this.
  20. Isosceles Kramer

Isosceles Kramer Registered

5.1-6 G's? I'm calling BS on that one. SR3 doesn't have the downforce nor the tires nor the power to run at those speeds.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Kelju_K, Louis, Emery and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.