Rfactor 2 future: Should we (or just I) be worried?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christos Segkounas, Jun 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Think we have to admit
    We all have a strong opinion but not really any clue

& if we were to ask two real world racing drivers how real world driving/racing should be translated into a sim their opinions could be at the opposite ends of the spectrum too

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Try this one: A crash in the sim results in a hard-drive crash too. That would certainly get MY attention, anyway, and it would bring in an element of fear that otherwise might not be there.

Ok, so it's not really practical you say (I know. It wasn't when I proposed it back in GPL either)...but enforcing repair times for race-weekends might be, at least for league racing. That kind of thing would also get and keep my attention.

------

One neat thing about this sim is that you sometimes CAN ask someone will real-racing experience what they think--those guys are out there, so this must not be a complete waste of time and money...right? Right!

Watch carefully the way they approach it and listen too if you can (Teamspeak, etc.). You can learn a lot if you try too.

3. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Precisely yes, not comparable that was my point.

4. Isosceles Kramer

Isosceles Kramer Registered

Then the easiest way to achieve what you're trying to achieve is to set it up in an unrealistic, trying to kill you, way. It's solved.

5. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

I'm not trying to achieve anything mate. I just come here to support the OP who I think has made a great post that I agree very strongly with.
    Inevitably it went down the 'Whats wrong with Automobilista' route as I did mention the word automobilista once, but it has nothing to do with OP or what I was saying in my original post. So all this is just waffle anyway so don't worry about it.
    This is the main thing I had to say https://forum.studio-397.com/index....or-just-i-be-worried.56478/page-6#post-903335

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  6. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I also support the idea that cars shouldn't be made artificially hard to drive just to simulate the fear and physical challenge you would have when driving a powerful racing machine. That is just not how to do it. We can never feel the same in sim racing what we would feel in a real (racing) car.

So it's easier if you just accept that sim racing is only for learning driving techniques, tracks and racing in general (the most fun part imo). That is already a lot but it can't fully prepare you to what you would face when you would be in a real car trying to push it to the limit. Guts are one thing but then there are racing technique and setup knowledge also. But don't be mistaken that even pro drivers are gods totally beyond our skill level no matter how much we would practice. Sure they are all good in what they do for their living, but it's an expensive hobby so pure talent doesn't always take all the way to the top I think.

It was already said why a simracer can be faster on a simulated car/track combo than a real pro driver on real life counterparts, all good reasons. I don't think an alien simracer would then think he/she is really faster than the real driver nor that he/she is in fact faster, he/she is just a really fast simracer, that's it. He/she might have some natural talent in racing if he/she would be given an opportunity. There has been some success transitions from simracing to real life racing with even lesser sims what rf2 is so I don't think that taming some icy early days rf2 cars is only way to tell if you got talent for real racing.

I liked the idea to have an option to have real repair times if you crash or even injuries in league racing (naturally only a rule).

Most important thing for me in simracing is the racing aspect itself, the competition against other drivers where we see who has the raw speed and consistency to win a race or a championships with different mods and on wide variety of tracks. Sim is doing a good job if I get a feeling that this is how it could feel IF I would have the guts to push the car near the limits. Cars should also require setup changes and certain driving techniques to go fast and to keep the thing on track. That is all I ask. Whoever is saying some rf2 official content mods can be thrown around however we like is lying or is too good to realize the facts. Plus throwing around isn't something we are supposed to do but going around the track in a fastest way possible, multiple times.

End of rant. Imo rf2 is better than ever.

-Matt

Eddy, Filip and demerzel like this.
  7. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

It should actually be exatcly the opposite! Without getting the setup right, it tries to kill you!!!!!

Isi cars: have to make different (sometimes drastically different!) setup for different tracks. Hard. Requires knowlidge. But very rewarding when you get it right.

397 cars and most 3rdp mods. Make 1 setup, it's good everywhere??

Why do you hear real world teams and drivers saying that they are stuggling to set up the car for some particular track in some particular conditions? do they hire quacks for engineers?

err..because it is not easy. it's science and art and sometimes allmost magic to get it right.

The "driving on ice" cries come from lack of understanding setup rather, than lack of driving skill. Which is a real shame because it's the reason why we are here now.

When you get the setup good, the isi cars are not that difficult to drive anymore. Just enough challenging that being consistent(!) requires absolute consentration. and THAT, ladies and gentlemen is what separates the men from boys in the real world.

Dont be fooled, because on surface it's speed. But underneath it's actually consistency. Speed in real life, comes only from consistency.
    Because only then you get, and get to stay, close to your personal limit, lap after lap after lap.

The top drivers who manage to get a drive in a team, are really masters of consistency more than "masters of speed". And because it gets them closer to their limit, it makes them FAST.
    But because they are close to their limit all the time(!) during the race, it's super hard work, and a true challenge mentally.

and THAT, is what WE, the "hardcore whiners" want from our preferred sim. to force us to consentrate like a zen munk when we race, and to understand setup.
    Because, believe me, the MEN in their fireproof overalls do!

avenger82, RaceNut and Arne Senna like this.
  8. demerzel

demerzel Registered

Somehow you need to sell the show. If you keep saying that it's eazypeazy who cares?

A few years ago one of the WTCC drivers was like. Here we have this 3 spring for the entire season. Then he proceeded to show them on camera.
    In rfactor 2 you can click on the + and - button and a number changing.

People like you should realize that this is a V.I.D.E.O G.A.M.E., not real life.

I also disagree with your TOP DRIVER art of consistency belief. What I see is that the top drivers keep wrecking the top cars in the top series with 10+ years of experience.

9. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

You just proofed my point by disagreeing. see that, no? ok then:D

10. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Calm down, those who are doing the physics are the same freaks like they were before. No strategy change has been made on that section. With that kind of progress we might even expect more realism been added instead the other way around.

Korva7 likes this.
  11. Isosceles Kramer

No. Let's look at Radical. It's a car that anyone can buy, and as such comes out of the factory set-up safely. Same goes for GT3 cars that are bought by privateer, semi-amateur or fully amateur, teams.

You hear that because they are very near the limit and trying to extract the very last bits of performance.

Nothing is stopping you from doing that.

Ronnie and demerzel like this.
  12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Do you have any prove that it is the setup being the only difference between pre 397 and post 397 cars?

Considering default setup is changed by most people to adjust it to their likings and to the track how can the feeling difference between cars be something regarding initial setup?

If this makes you feel better good for you. I would be more cautious before suggesting other people can't differ between car overall feeling and a default setup. Have you considered the possibility that you are unable to distinguish between a car problem and a setup problem?

patchedupdemon likes this.
  13. Isosceles Kramer

Excuse me, but what?

14. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Never mind thinking out loud...

15. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

OT: my "what's wrong with Automobilista" question was just my misunderstanding! Or at least i think, i should start to study english o_O

16. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Nothing mate. Just a little OT but that's perfectly normal. I never actually said there was anything wrong with Automobilista I said RF2 has gone half way to becoming Automobilista, which is a different sim. Then the discussion goes onto further misunderstandings, and potential solution to problems that do not exist stemming from prior nonsense, and it's all just nonsense. Nothing to do with OP, nothing wrong with your question. Could have started a new thread possibly, this thread is about the future of RF2 not what is (not) wrong with Automobilista.

17. Louis

Louis Registered

Not to me, but this is interesting
    Myself only notice too obvious problems and with very limited ability to fix then on setup

18. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I think a big worry for me is that S397 aren't going to update all content! They have given us a new car in the awesome Radical but not updated existing cars like my personal favourites Honda NSX and Corvette C6.
    I enjoy they Radical and all but really prefer driving the older road cars.
    If they aren't going to update some content maybe give us a bloom option so we don't have to keep PP off or keep jumping in and out of the game to turn it off.
    By the way my new GTX 1080 TI can't even play replays at max setting with PP ultra.

Rui Santos and Korva7 like this.
  19. demerzel

demerzel Registered

Worry craft.

They stated at least 2 times that for the old content we need to wait longer because of shader issues. I wouldn't worry too much about this until they say we won't update honda nsx and corvette c6.

You are not supposed to use PP ultra according to marcel. Stick to medium. This is the official recommendation.

2ndLastJedi and Jego like this.
  20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Oh , i didnt know that about only using medium , good to know . Cheers .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.