Off-Topic: iRacing's Dynamic Track Surface

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guimengo, Jul 1, 2015.

1. matf1

matf1 Registered

Being called a gamer an hardly an attack.

He has described a problem that is alluding a solution.
    If your interest in simracing is purely for replicating fantasy then it stands to reason that audible and visual acuity is paramount for that experience.

If your interest in simracing is for academic or training purposes then your focus is different.

...And all the shades inbetween.

A fair few, if not the majority of people are time limited... This is something you love. Why do you not spend more time with it, care for it, adore it?

For some it's because they are gamers. They'll move onto the next thing when satiated.
    For others, sim racing is for life. It's serious business for some and has been for quite some time for others.

A sim racer will want to promote their love and infect everyone with it, that's passion, that's craziness, that's what makes great drivers.
    I drive every car simply because I don't know what I'm going to fall head over heals for.

The Osella for example. The clio, I mean seriously, why in the hell would I want to drive that crapbox. The Palatov!

I also know that modders spend sometimes years on their work, for people to only pick holes in it. I know as a human, I'd feel not so great about continuing to develop new and interesting projects when 'other humans' who don't understand the privilege it is for them to experience this wonderful thing that took so much dedication to create and pass on to you for free.

Communities are built, and they are built by people who stay around. Great things come from such communities.

Like Kimi not wanting to race that lawnmower?

2. matf1

matf1 Registered

I've snipped the text for space, but the quote is generalized anyway.
    You have summed up very succinctly how I've felt for the last three years. It's been quite frustrating to be able to see it and not understand why others don't. Granted the maturity of this product is in a much better state now.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The irony here is a bunch of people of varying skill levels can have fantastic races in something like the Clio. Hardly exhilarating to drive around a track by yourself, but the fact it's easier to keep close to the limits (and the common level of distance from the limits gives smaller time gaps than in a faster car) makes for close and intense battles.

4. matf1

matf1 Registered

Just to be clear, then context implied around that statement was my pre-thought. The Clio is an amazing thing to drive.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, yeah, didn't mean to attribute that to you in that way... it's a great example of what some people think though :)

6. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

The way I see it is that if you are satisfied with your sim experience then just keep doing what you're doing. If you are not and blame devs then you are probably need to open your mind or develop skills or are in the wrong hobby.

7. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Lol, want it and don't want it, all of us are gamers. Playing with a triple and 3000$ steering wheel and and doesn't make you a racer!

8. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

It makes me sad when i see those kinna setup with AC or iRacing....srsly

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Simulations are designed to replicate physics. The handling, FFB, vehicle behavior, etc. It's about replicating that for our driving. In that sense, I agree with you, racing sims are about immersion and feeling it's real. However, it seems that you implied something different in your statement because of what you wrote after that. The immersion you described - matching correct cars to the tracks they just happened to race on in real-life - is purely a psychological thing, if that's somebody's way of thinking then Codemasters' F1 games are surely a better sim than rFactor 2.

Having the correct billboards according to the real-life event will of course make things more "fun" and immersive, so will watching having a 1st person animation of me jumping up and down in the garage as I get pumped up to hop in my F1 car as I give a mechanic a high-five (similar to Codemaster's f1 games), that makes it more immersive to, and that's what a "gamer" would love, while a "racer" wouldn't care the slightest for accurate billboards just like a racecar driver in real-life doesn't care about billboards. The only reason I care about a billboard is if I can use it as a reference marker for my braking, turning, etc.

That's the difference between someone who cares (and even notices in the first place) about correct trackside advertisements and someone who doesn't give the slightest care about some trackside sign other than to use it as reference marker for the purpose of the job/activity at hand (to race). One is a "gamer" looking for psychological immersion, one is racer.

There's nothing wrong with being one or the other, everyone is different.

Put me in a Howston @ Croft all day, as long as the physics of the track and car are good enough (good enough by today's standards of what we simracers have access to) then there's absolutely nothing technically unrealistic about it. It's a car - simulated rubber and metal - on a simulated piece of asphalt modelling a racing track made for racing cars; there is absolutely nothing unrealistic about that.

Exactly, Adrian and Mat.

I only simrace because real-life racing is my passion in life, not because I like car-racing videogames. Seriously, all the fancy crap in the other games is just that, crap. I don't care about commentary, accurate sponsors on the side of my car, having 3 different versions of an identical physics track where only the billboards change graphics in order to match different events, etc. I only care about what I also only care about in real-life racing, and that is to drive the car, think about setups, drive more, then go home; the rest is just "artificial bull****" that game-makers - understandably - must include for a more appealing product for the purpose of "fun", "immersion", and sales.

Other than playing racing sims (for the pure driving aspect, not because of graphics, content [cars and tracks], billboards, etc.) I don't play any car games at all except for some extremely arcadey ones like, for example, Twisted Metal back in the day where you use different weapons to blow eachother up - more of a vehicle based combat game.

Nothing to do with your equipment. It's about your outlook, your mindset, your mental approach.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2015
  10. matf1

matf1 Registered

I hate it when you say generalised statements I agree with!

11. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i had no idea this was coming..wow :O

12. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Spin, you're trying to reword but to me you still come across snobish or as if trying to prove something. You talk of mindset, mental approach, "job at hand". You use - yet again - the opportunity to tell us that you race some stuff real life (so do I, like many others here). And you call "crap" what other people find important in their sims. Then you wonder why you get rough replies?

It's like you're trying to establish a "seriousness-ranking" here. As if this was something we would get paid for...

And yes, in some aspects Codemasters F1 can be considered a better simulation than RF2. There is more to computer racing then just physics.

But whatever the sim, we won't get paid or laid for being fast in it. So don't take yourself so serious...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  13. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Sorry to say but my first thought when I see people with obscenely expensive rigs (backed up in some cases by clueless people) is that people trying to buy immersion that they will never get with $$$.

14. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

:p

15. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

So going back on topic, does anyone here with an active subscription know when they might be rolling this out?

16. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

As tempting as it is to feel sorry for people who need more because they are indoctrinated, ignorant, etc.....the truth is that for many sim racing is not only second to IRL spectatorship/idolatry but they wouldn't even sim race if not for IRL and that is just sad for them and it's no wonder that they are unsatisfied until they can both pretend AND BELIEVE that they could even get the car out of a garage LOL

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Lol! Anyways, ya, going to be cool to have another sim with live track tech. I'm glad iRacing are trying to do it "properly"

18. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Any more rumors/speculation about iRacing having AI? Aside from being able to test drive cars before buying (an absolute deal-breaking show stopper for me), there is also the issue of dying MP with some combos and that is just insult to injury for me. Annnnnnd there's also need to work up to licenses u need for cars u want which also means more needless money spent (I'd prefer to just have TT to get license and then get kicked if safety not good etc) but I might be able to overlook that but can't stomach buying content only to be stuck hotlapping with it.

19. yusupov

yusupov Registered

i dunno if you have a subscription but there were a couple questions in a recent user survey (out of not a whole many) about AI...i can't imagine most iracers wanting development spent time on it though. thinking about it, that would be a pretty big flaw with surveying the userbase as opposed to people who have cancelled subscriptions (if they did that).

20. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Probably in about 2 and a half months with the next quarterly build or 3 months after that. But it seems like it should be in the next build update.

I doubt AI will happen, every other time we've seen polls pop up in the forums the thought of AI usually gets shot down with ease. The numbers might be slightly better in the iRacing poll environment, but I highly doubt there will be a large portion wanting AI.

In the short answer to the video it may seem like he dismissed the idea, but he was talking about simply adding "grip strips" to fake it ala GTR2 or AC. Just basic "more grip here because more grip here" stuff. That video was at a time where people were complaining even more than now about the single file racing on the ovals and people wanting iRacing to basically add "BR" tracks like they did in NR2003 if you remember those days. (where the high line had more grip or the low line less grip to facilitate multi groove racing better)

The long answer he gave was pretty much what I'd expect out of ISI...

As for your last paragraph - Same could also be said about rF2 where the average race length is even shorter Tim. Acceleration ruins the whole concept of it anyways, if a track rubbers in in 5 laps it doesn't matter much, when a track rubbers in so fast you can run the top groove at IMS it blows the whole thing up. (;) Thank goodness that was finally fixed) They could easily fix that with the same thing you guys have done by having pre built profiles, would be especially cool if the track was more rubbered in the later in the week someone races. :)

Considering what we know is in the pipeline in iRacing, the next year and a half is going to be interesting for fans of endurance sim racing between iRacing and rF2.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015