Off-Topic: iRacing's Dynamic Track Surface

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guimengo, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I didn't miss it mate, I just wanted to confirm rF2 DID wash away the rubber :) and no, iRacing doesn't have rain :) Has wind but afaik that was mega broken.

2. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I was impressed by the temperature bit, but obviously ISI considered that earlier, too.

3. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Ive encountered this few times,
    recently being in a wet race in shanghai where it was raining light and heavy and light and in a corner where it was usually ok, i put a slightly different line approach it at a slighly different angle and it went WWWhhhhOOOOOOaaaAAAHAHAHAHAHA....

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Even if Iracing had all the updates that are coming completed & released now
    ( 24hr transitions / wet weather / dynamic track etc )

They'll still be two different sims for generally two different markets
    & I'll still have both in my HD

Great to see these features finally coming to Iracing -can't wait
    Next years going to heaven for me with a next gen VR headset & the racing sims progressed even further
    ( maybe finally VR support for rf2 too )

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Two different markets Adrian?

Love what they are doing over there, just in time as well since they got rid of the random-grip-loss as I understand and will be releasing Nords soon-ish as well(?) good time to have another peak :)

6. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I don't get that eithe

Depends who you are. I simply don't drive it any more hardly apart from twice or so a season because of apparent total randomness at the rear with more extreme slip angles. I can't get my head around it at all.

I had a go last week in the Star Mazda and a setup everyone was raving about made it like a drift car. Armfulls of opposite lock every corner. Silly.

7. Depco

Depco Registered

Hopefully they are planning on improving their FFB. Compared to rF2 it feels completely dead... But that may be a completely different thread.

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Oh, a mate told me they finally fixed that problem but I guess they didn't then?

9. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

In my opinion, no. Others will say yes.

Just does random crap to me that I don't have happen in any other sim.

10. Justy

Justy Registered

iRacing's tyre model is hit and miss in my opinion. Some cars are ok, some just feel weird, they then fix one car and break another which was previously "ok". In all fairness there have been some big improvements over the past 18 months or so, but still, some of the old quirks and nuances can rear their ugly heads from time to time. I don't ever remember a time since the NTM was first introduced (man, was it really 5 years ago?!?!), where all the cars worked well with it. That and the somewhat numb FFB are enough to spoil (for me) the overall experience that iRacing offers, which is a damn shame. I'm sure they will get there though, eventually.

The new dynamic track surface looks fab. Certainly I hope it will make the driving a bit more varied, it's always struck me in iRacing, that its too easy to just drive lap after lap all within a few tenths of each other, most of the time barely even concentrating on what you're doing. Try that in rF2 and you crash within 2 or 3 laps. Although something tells me there's more to this than just the dynamic track surface.

All in all, it sounds like there's some VERY good times ahead for Sim racers though, whichever sim /game/whatever floats your boat.

EDIT:

Indeed........ I have broken wind too. :eek: Sorry I tried to resist, couldn't help myself......... I'll get me coat

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I'd love to see videos of game technologies (like that tire one for rF2) from ISI. It's interesting to watch and it also educates people who are really interested, leaves no room for silly speculation and the handbags at dawn thing. Can't we focus on the tech instead of getting flared up about this or that being better? rF2 could still be better or maybe iRacing will be introducing good aspects to be considered by ISI. So what? This is great news, stagnation isn't your friend.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  12. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, it's always good to see behind the scenes. Even if it is just an interview, like the new stockcar one done by SimHQ.

Interesting to note in that interview the comments on RealRoad...along the lines of "We aren't done yet..." XD

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

generally people seem to like one sim or another, some are like me though & like both sims ( iracimg & rf2 )
    for different reasons, I don't use AI but like rf2's ffb & customisability,
    Iracing I like the organised online structure & very high quality laser tracks

14. Depco

Depco Registered

Frankly, If the slow speed spins are fixed now I would have hated to drive iracing when it wasnt fixed...

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah there are certainly good and bad things about everything, and the nice thing is that as dynamic sims become the norm, it'll creep slowly down to consoles, etc, as well. Everyone benefits from someone forging a path. I have to laugh though, as I think back to this:
    https://vimeo.com/15935676
    17m30s or so rF2 realroad (or now iRacing's own version of it) is described as a useless concept by DK, and it is suggested that we were faking the technology by one of the visitors (though DK brushed that comment aside).

When I walked into the ISI office in 2010 and Terence showed me a very early build of rF2 and the realroad in there, it blew my mind. Pretty amazing it has taken this long for someone else to do it based on actual track activity and not a pre-determined line (maybe SIMBIN did that racing line generic build up first with GTR?)

My concern really on their behalf is race length. Unless they use accelerated surface change like we offer during their short races I am not sure the surface will change a huge amount during the course of a race, or most races that they schedule for their quarterly series'. Leagues that run long races will get great use out of it at iRacing though, I'm sure. But they're going to need to start a track fairly green/less grippy for it to be worth doing at all? So the difference is felt?

16. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

even ysterday when iRacing announced this my feed is filled with dat. "rf2 faked it." I just leave fanboys comments to fanboys.

17. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Technically that would be the Blimey! boys's credit, as they did the coding and SIMBIN produced the content. However it was never really that dynamic, the groove line was predefined just as in rf1.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  18. David Wright

David Wright Registered

GTR was the first tiltle with Live Track and when GTR was produced, Simbin and Blimey! hadn't split so technically it should be credited to Simbin.

You may well be right that Live Track came from the Blimey! side as after GTR2, the last Blimey/Simbin joint production, Simbin never mentioned Live Track for their RACE series of games.

While clearly not as sophisitcated as the rF2 system, Live Track's visual and grip changes through-out the race weekend were a significant step forward over the static conditions in rF1. On a road course at least, the racing line is a pretty good first order approximation of where the rubbering in will occur.

At the risk of offending - didn't Codemasters claim fully dynamic track rubbering and marbles in F1-2010?

19. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Yeah, actually thought that Blimey! wasn't part of GTR but only GTR2 + GTL, but a Google search told me otherwise :p But I also think that it wasn't until GTR2 that Live Track came about.

And with Race Series it all went backwards, end of dynamic lightning etc.

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

AFAIK Ian Bell founded SIMBIN with Roos. So they probably were involved. And it's right to use the name SIMBIN rather than Blimey, as Blimey were SIMBIN at that point. You could say Blimey too... But saying SIMBIN includes both the guys now in Blimey and now in Sector3. ;)