Off-Topic: iRacing's Dynamic Track Surface

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guimengo, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Just a personal opinion (and not directed towards ovals) but I adore the fact that rubber can be sped up (as well as down and even static). Doing race weekends (a couple practices, qualy, and race, and sometimes even a warmup) with the rubber build up accelerated due to each session only being 10 or 15 mins long is awesome in my opinion. You're adapting much more quickly, so are your competitors though. I love it. It's great for online - evolving sped-up rubber, and initially (prac 1) starting from either green or lightly rubbered, with 1 or 2 10 min prac sessions, 10 min qualy, 10-20 min race, repeat. I find it fantastic for casual online play.

2. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Minus one regarding acceleration ruining anything. All kinds of (the ability to effect) acceleration are needed including time, tire wear, mechanicals, etc AND real road.

3. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

You get that in iRacing already - first lap tires have zero stability, next lap they it's near impossible to spin, third lap normalcy resumes. lol

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I agree, something has been going on in the past couple years in my opinion. The Star Mazda is a prime example. In-terms of it's rear wanting to rotate and swing or even just a dance around, it hardly happens. It's glued but not in a "racecars have lots of grip" sort of way but just in an incorrect way, as if the extra grip/stability was rushed into the physics improperly in order to silence all the people complaining about the spins and "ice". You even often hear the rears spinning (from engine RPMs) but the actual car itself is not behaving any differently than when there is no wheelspin. There is no lateral movement, no swinging motion of the rear, or "dancing" even though you can clearly sense the wheelspin. it's quite odd.

The following is the YT comment I wrote regarding the issue (Feb 2015):

P.S. This is not me bashing IR, I've been genuinely curious - and bothered since I like IR - about this for a while now. I think I initially noticed it when the first iteration of the V5 Skippy came out.

5. Depco

Depco Registered

I find that my outlap has stupid amounts of grip and that the second and third lap have much less grip. My 4th on normalize. I am talking about z4 though so I dont know if that has anything to do with it. <<< not a setup guru

6. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Since its based on real life, i always thot one day all platform will achieve the same dynamics and wut do each need to be ahead?

....this dynamic track thing is gonna be the first of many. But base physics engine between platform might be the dividing factor as we can also already see now

7. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

Given the issues iracing had with synchronisation of weather between drivers (we had a week of drivers having different weather in the same race, meaning some guys got a boost of 2s a lap) it has to be a worry that the same could happen with track condition, only this time it'll be harder for the community to prove it.

Out of curiosity, what steps does RFactor take to ensure that all participants see the same weather and the same track conditions?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

8. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

I just cant wait to see how funny will iracing cars drive in changable n wet track condition. The physics already feel funny on constant n dry condition.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Some comments here are on par with the Spanish journalists from the Assen MotoGP press conference spewing and instigating things, sucking up to Márquez.

Thank you EB for the answer.

10. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

:eek: wow that's pretty bad...

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

Guh, you could see how fed up they were getting
    Is Marquez ISI? XD

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

-1 ( lool p )

So I should drive all cars and tracks in ISI and get less experience, seat time and enjoyment from the ones I like to drive ?

If that makes me less of a racer come and beat me in F3 at Spa , that should be easy, slow arsed car and a racer proficient in all. p

Realistically many privateer racers use the same cars and tracks all their lives, I hardly call them gamers.

There are guys for instance can't be beaten in a Mini whether you Lewis Hamilton or not. ;)

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

DD, a "gamer" would purchase Need For Speed Shift, GTR 2 or AC over SCE or RF2 just for the simple fact that the former come with cars that have a prancing horse logo on them while a "racer" would purchase the one they think/feel drives better (mainly according to the behavior of physics and FFB). One gets enjoyment from the psychological fact of, "wow, I'm sitting inside a Ferrari in the GT2 series at Spa, this has always been a dream of mine," ("gamer") while one gets enjoyment from the pure physics and FFB (especially when pushing close to, and over, the limits) regardless of what animal/badge the pixels on the skin of his vehicle are ("racer"). That's all I'm saying.

Anyways, that's just the distinction I personally see between the two types, it's not some golden rule of life just because Spinelli said it, lol. In the end - who cares - just drive whatever game and car you feel like.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2015
  14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Spinelli, please stop. Please. The more you try explaining yourself, the further down the ground your arguments go. I believe I understand what you are saying - or trying to - but your logic is yours, it doesn't have to apply for the rest of the world.

Diversity and full championship seasons are important. Don't diminish other important aspects of a game when they may also be a sim because of your personal preference, you speak a lot of misspoken words about qualities of other titles and end up being portrayed as part of the fanboyism brigade.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

look upon your chosen driving/racing title(s) as a game or a sim who cares , it could be different for everyone
    maybe some titles can be either to the same person depending on aids options

guess a non serious casual session at a real world track day could be looked upon as "playing"

16. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Sim only requires accurate physics and race rules nothing else

17. David Wright

David Wright Registered

So no graphics or sound then? Accurate tracks not required? No weather? No AI? No changing track conditions?

For most people, they want the simulation to extend further than physics and race rules.

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Shhhh don't get dragged into his distorted world.

19. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Graphics and sound are only needed for cues. Accurate tracks are not required. IRL tracks are not required. Weather is not required. Dynamics are not required.

20. Minibull

Minibull Member

For those nibbling at the hook...XD

[​IMG]