Off-Topic: iRacing's Dynamic Track Surface

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guimengo, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Miro

Miro Registered

Piboso has done some work regarding dynamic rubber build up aswell AFAIK. Not sure when he published it tho.

2. C3PO

C3PO Registered

One question, I thought rF2 did also simulate tyre temperature along with rubber build up for grip?

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes, mistreating your tires leads to decreased grip. Cold tires have decreased grip. Track surfaces with less rubber have decreased grip. Tires in correct temp zone have as much grip as they can, and a rubbered in track has as much as it can.

4. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

It has got very good FFB but what I learned is that it is made for a very good wheel. With a DD wheel it is a different sim. It seems that other sims have done more to have a better feel with consumer wheels while iracing has not done the same thing. Put a DD wheel on it and all of your criticisms disappear.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

ha ha good find, devs have to be careful what they say hey as it can come back to bite them -on their bum ...even 5 years later !

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Actually yes, but as I never ran F12010 online I couldn't say if it was really a predefined groove, they said it wasn't. Not sure about marbles, they had gravel pickup modelledon the tires. But then the entire thing wasn't a terrible lot of simulation so it's hard to tell what effect something had in detail.

7. Isosceles Kramer

Isosceles Kramer Registered

I've seen this video but completely forgot about it. Not only were those claims embarrassing but the thinly-veiled explanations who's sole purpose was to cause wow-factor amongst average Joe's are pretty embarrassing too.

8. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

I always think that the iRacing lot tend to be very defensive over their thing just because they paid more than others. And others not as good just because we paid less for it.

And yes, u want to feel good ffb in iRacing, get a DD or AF. Kaching....

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Feel does not equal physics. The vehicle dynamics and kinematics don't magically change cause you have a DD wheel. The feel of those physics will be better and you may therefore be able to drive those particular physics better / more consistently / more competitively, and driving better because you feel more of the car equals more enjoyment, sure, but it does not change the vehicle behavior itself - the behavior modeling hasn't changed, the software hasn't changed.

Reminds me of the people from back in the day who thought RF1's physics sucked and then as soon as they figured out how to get good FFB (better controller file settings, Leo's FFB, RealFeel, etc.) they suddenly changed their minds and started praising RF1s physics even though not a single line of game coding changed.

I hear the same thing about PCars, R3E, Codies F1, Dirt, even the Shift series.

Changing FFB so you can feel therefore drive therefore enjoy a car/game/sim better does just that - it raises your own personal feel, driving, and enjoyment levels - it does not make the car/game/sim itself any better.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2015
  10. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

I didnt relate FFB to physics at all, someone said iracing should have improved FFB and I said the FFB is pretty good with the right wheel, e.g. a DD wheel.

The game hasn't changed you are right, just in the same way playing a good LP through boombox speakers wont sound as good as playing the same LP through some hifi speakers. The source is the same. I was just saying the source is pretty good, a better wheel shows the source is not bad.

11. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

With DD wheel it still feels numb. It could be the simulated powersteering, I'll have to try dallara to be sure.
    In any case, its not even close to the ffb in rF2..

12. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

TBH, I dont really drive tin tops so my real time behind the wheel is in open wheelers.

13. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Well since people always have to go there, the only impact I see to rF2 is league racing since iRacing owns non-league online and ISI owns offline. But I expect impact will be infinitesimal because of the largest factor still being cost (advantage ISI) and content availability/quality (advantage iRacing for content availability and track quality).

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Time to quote that for truth :)

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Every group is. Actually one of the things that annoys me the most about our own forum is when people defend ISI against someone making a genuine point about a failing with our own software. :) IMHO an aggressive defense is just as bad as someone coming here and trolling.

16. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Agree 100%.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

+1111

You get shot in here even if you try to point something out for the sake of improvement. Just because ISI (especially RF2) physics are the best in the industry (in many people's eyes including mine) doesn't mean that there aren't any situations/moments where weird/wrong things happen. If you try to point out some odd physics habits of the engine that don't wanna die even after 15 years, you pretty much get massacred. You try to point stuff out - and, if I may add, not in a troll way but in a serious vehicle physics/behavior way - you often get some extremely defensive and close-minded, ignorant people hardly even noticing some insanely obvious things being pointed out because they are so biased and seem to have their minds already made-up without even using an ounce of critical thinking, on top of that, some even then go as far as to go look for a super extremely rare real-life example video that just so happens to match the odd behavior of the game in order to show that there is indeed no issue meanwhile they ignore the other 99% of real-life videos that behave the complete opposite to the game and prove the OP's point about the particular issue.

18. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Those are the fanatics. Yes, every group have it.

Another group that i meant is those who knows others is better yet they nvr wanna accept it. Just because they spend more money on it.

For example yesterday they boasted abt the coming feature, (which is not there yet) but already thinking that its already there and its working perfectly and its better.

And comes rf2 new build with a bundle of updates goodies (which to me has more stuff than theyre last build update) but never wanna at least note that and stayed with their superiorist thing....if there is such a word.

Sorry...off topic rant in an off topic thread.

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

on the AC thread in Iracing forum

a whole gang is upon you if one says anything negative against AC

( like " it feels terrible to me " which is something I'm not happy about ...then I have to take stick for it lol )

20. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

I agree with 4/5 points. However, in our league, nobody warms up their tires on the out lap because low temperature has little to no effect on grip and using tire wear to warm them up isn't worth it (Formula ISI tires). It has always confused me :)

Green/rubbered/marbled parts of the track work as expected, over heating tires work as expected, treating the tires correctly reaps rewards later in a stint, running the tire in the optimum temperature range gives the most grip... just not under temperature tires. Maybe it's just for this car?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2015