Matchmaker Subscription?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kyle House, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

and this hurts you how?

you have the information now and you are free to make your own mind up about if you buy rF2 or not, nobody is forcing you too and nobody has tricked you into buying something and then told you that you have to pay more.

rFactor has without a doubt the biggest bunch of whiners and moaners in sim racing.

Is there an ignore function on the forums because there are several people that I'm looking at adding to it.

2. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

I know perfectly well what the discussion is about and it all stems from the fact that there is money involved, or is there another reason you two are crying about it?

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Naaa. I've met people face to face that I really liked... But put them in a forum? Woah. :) I probably seem totally different in person to how I am on the forums, too. That's why I try not to get annoyed and hope people don't get too annoyed with me, generally everybody is nice in 'real life'. Oh, while we're on real life, I need to change my avatar... It isn't October anymore.

4. Highharti

Highharti Registered

Personally, I'm not complaining about the fees itself, I'm complaining about what I have to pay them for.
    The rF2 servers are NOT paid by ISI. They are paid by the drivers. There is no reason to prohibit people from connecting them, unless they paid their annual fees.

5. frankwer

frankwer Registered

Why not hijack a public server when you have your league races? :)

6. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I kind of wish that Tim would stop responding to people.

Step 1: Announce pricing structure
    Step 2: Ignore the backlash
    Step 3: Launch the game
    Step 4: Let capitalism do its thing

7. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

said like this, it's pretty interesting :)

why not explain this part totally ? is this system will include the free mods available on rf2 ?

8. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Well, it looks like you still do not... oh, and that "crying" terms and whatnot - just drop it as it looks childish :)

9. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Sighs, its quite simple really. Everyone is asking the exact same question and the exact same question is not being answered like its the biggest conspiracy on the planet. The question is, will players be able to search for an online server via IP and connect to it without having the online subscription? Yes or No? it doesn't require a hard thought answer, just a yes or no, yes they will be able to, no they won't be able to. Simple. Not that I care because I will always have an active subscription, but as a modder I would like to know to be able to know what my staff will have to face as well as my beta testers.

10. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

you aren't just paying for that.... your paying for a system that should ensure you can join a server without mismatches, that will ensure you have the correct version of the track and mod that is running and to streamline the downloading of updates that ISI are planning to bring after release.
    Maybe when Tim can reveal fully the way that the new Matchmaker will work and the functionality that it will include people will see that it's worth the money, obviously there will be people who will simply refuse to pay and those that will moan and bitch about it (but pay anyway) but on the whole I think that given the amount of free content all these people enjoy on a regular basis from the modders who spend hundreds of hours of their own time to provide them, they will realise that rFactor and rF2 are pretty hard to beat in the value for money stakes.

11. thuGG

thuGG Registered

NO!
    We know that already.

But the way ISI handled it caused confusion and your post prooves that.

12. 88mphTim

Yup. That's what this means:
    Can't explain it totally though. But it is the main target of the open beta. It needs to be well and truly tested.

13. DeDios

DeDios Registered

I'm really happy now after reading pricing and infos thread. I'm sure service will be really useful, and..10 euros/year are definately nothing. Here in Italy is just 1 pizza and 1 coke.
    Now i'm waiting beta, cmon guys :D can't wait.

14. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Ok thanks for the answer. :)

15. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

thanks for your answer. i didn't think that ISI will touch in any ways the free mods (and all licences problems about it).

so, wait and see ;)

16. Highharti

Highharti Registered

So please make that feature unavailable to drivers who don't pay, but don't prohibit them from connecting to their own servers!

Personally, I never had any problems with any of the points you mentioned, since I only do league racing.

17. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Tim, I think the problem is that this is now highly anticipated product.

In that case, any information immediately turns into expectation.
    Providing another information that is in conflict with previous one means failing these expectations.

In the interview, it was stated: "matchmaker, updater and news". So the question was - is matchmaker/online account necessary to connect by IP directly? Seemed unnecessary, but there was doubt.
    Then, in this thread it was said: "if you want to continue to do some of the online stuff automatically". This still wasn't any statement, but a clear indication, that some online stuff will still be possible manually (like connecting by IP).

Now we got it clarified, that practically no online stuff will be possible without account. Perhaps using word "multiplayer" instead of "matchmaker" in the interview would be more fortunate.

I'm glad it's clarified now.

I see no problem with giving uncertain / incomplete information, as long as they're presented in that manner. Otherwise it's just misleading.

As for paying $13 yearly - I have no problem with that as I believe quality deserves appreciation and support. I have much bigger problems paying one-time fee for a mainstream game which quality I doubt :)

EDIT:
    Obviously I edited my post just after writting it, but both what I wrote before and now is valid :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  18. 88mphTim

Yeah I understand. However, "WIP" hasn't worked for us like it does for you. ;) I'll let you guys discuss more, I won't be able to come to the forum for at least hours. We are reading eventually, even if we don't say so. :)

19. raven

raven Registered

I wanted to buy rF2 for league racing(or local testing), not for public racing.
    I have no problem to downlload all content manually which will be needed for that.

But I still need to pay, just to be able to join a MP server? That is the point I don't get.

It is not that I can't afford the 13$, but it would be for a service(for its own it sound great and is far away from beeing overpriced) which I don't need.

20. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I would put that in my signature if this forum allowed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.