Matchmaker Subscription?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kyle House, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefano Schivari

Stefano Schivari Registered

Tim there will be an option,like in rf1,for join a private server just clicking on a web button? i think it's a nice feature and a shame lost it. thanks

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

3. Taranta

Taranta Registered

accustomed too well?
    spoiled?

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

@Laser

Any prices mentioned now could change by next year. So this "less than a dollar a month" might mean nothing as the price could double or triple. If this matchmaker turns out to be a feature that I enjoy I'd be willing to spend two dollars a month. We will see. I just think this is the first step towards the world of warcraft/iR style of gaming. I'm not bitching about it either I'm just saying that is what's going to happen.

There hasn't been much of a fuss imo. Don't forget some just like to bitch and always will even though they are like me and will be buying rF2 no matter what really. Then there are the naysayers who come and bitch about rF2 and have no intention at all about buying it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  5. 88mphTim

I actually haven't seen that yet... I will have to check. You mean this format, correct?
    rfactor://x.x.x.x: port

This would essentially need to work in a way that it launches into the matchmaker...

6. slow_duck

slow_duck Registered

rfactor://94.23.245.144:33302/

7. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

I guess I'm going by the number of posts I've seen on other sites as much as this one and there are certainly quite a few people that are complaining about having to pay the money, if anything I'm relieved it's only $13 because I was concerned that it may be a great deal more, the cost is affordable even to my 13 year old daughter who earns more than that in a week delivering papers so I do find it hard to sympathise when people complain about it.
    I can also see where people like Maxym are coming from, but it's surely no different to running a league using iRacing PSN or Xbox live, and lots of people manage that.
    I too dislike change, I'm dissapointed in some of the things that have been announced too but I also understand why things need to change and would rather devote energy to supporting ISI than constantly berating and arguing about the decisions that have been made.
    I'll shut up now and post no more as I have no wish to cause arguments and as Tim rightly said previously it is difficult to convey your true feelings or the way you intend for things to be taken using the forums.

8. shum94

shum94 Registered

No LAN you're joking ?

He talked about IP join server, so no it won't be possible (it's a mistake imo).

9. Jux

Jux Registered

Well .. that is that then. Let the capitalism do the talking. Anyway, I'm on board ... cannot wait.
    I have the following thoughts about this:
    - subscription based pricing sucks.
    - 40... something $? It is bloody cheep, I was ready for paying twice as much.
    - no subscription -- no multiplayer. It doesn't matter if you play in league or in public race -- fair deal. Probably raises the level/experience of public races.
    - People ask for LAN support? Are you for real? You like take you rig into your friends house, reserve half apartment and race 1-on-1? ... give me a brake.
    - The matchmaker, online experience better be a f***ing good stuff. Every time I connect online, I wanna feel ... yeah, totally worth it.

But most of all ... include rally mode!

10. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

That's the impression I had after watching and reading a number of Gjon's interviews. I don't think it's just me.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. We shall hope the new MM is THAT good. :)

As for the pricing, I hope it stays as reasonable as announced. Otherwise modders and league admins may feel they're taken for a ride. And let's not forget the main difference between rFactor and iRacing is not the laser scanned tracks, it's the fact that rF's success and longevity rides on the backs of hard working talented people who do it free of charge. And for most of us in the 'community' rFactor is all about the online racing, if it stops or decays, so does the flow of mods and tracks and available racing events. Casual gamers like CdnRacer probably still have no idea what I'm talking about, but I have every reason to hope that smart guys at ISI do.

11. 88mphTim

It might be possible for the guys to work out a way in which you get a clickable link outside the sim, which co-ordinates with the matchmaker list inside the sim. Maybe that you launch and it just shows that one server on the list. That way it's still going through the matchmaker when you join from there. It's not there now, but that's probably a good suggestion for me to make. :)

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

A reason of asking for LAN is assuming that there is no INET connection. So allowing to play online in LAN is the hole for MM dependency. You may create "LAN" through internet. Check VPN therm for example.

I also think you probably don't know what "lan parity" is.
    I know the league which organize a meeting twice a year. Members came with computers and steering wheels. They are racing 3 or 4 days in local LAN. Unfortunately there is no Internet connection over there.

13. Stefano Schivari

Stefano Schivari Registered

yes exactly,will be usefull for your system and for our leagues..thanks

14. Tripp

Tripp Registered

Nice long thread we got here now people wake up and look here every day for news because we not wanna buy a
    [h=3]Pig in a poke[/h]

15. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

No mismatches, that's the big news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

16. Francesco H.

Francesco H. Registered

love Googletranslate forever...... :D

Much of what has been written already, I can understand and for me personally is the price ok for RF2!

There will always be people who get panic if they have to pay for something on the Internet,
    this is normal - and who has brain is understood that either, but such people are also the loudest crier
    to "get real" when it comes to perfection - a perfection that they can not even bring the ass wipe.
    rFactor2 just is not a video that takes you for free via emule or torrents from the net.

17. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Sounds like the open beta could be as long as six months with 18 months matchmaker subscription with beta and 12 months with full launch version?

It seems safe to assume that if you purchase the beta you have purchased the future downloads to full launch version and later versions either automatically with the subscription or manually without? At least that is the way I read it.

It is clear from the response that the subscription fee to play online is an issue in principle. It is low to start, however this puts in place a mechanism that raises doubt about continued operating cost for online players down the road. Only time will tell whether the popularity of rfactor2 will reach the heights of rfactor? Similarly while the mechanism allows for future price increases, it also allows for price decreases and special promotions to extend your subscription(boost the ranks of subscribers). Would we look forward to 2 years for $20, 3 years for $28?

Will there ever be an rfactor 3, or just an ever evolving rfactor 2?
    Will this increase the lifespan of rfactor2?

I am hoping that rfactor2 incorporates a real world data logging and analysis software package??

A lan party option may be a reasonable add-on option to balance out the matchmaker issue?

What will happen with the rfactor matchmaker long term and ones ability to play rfactor on-line? There are still afterall GPL players out there!

Our world is changing and the market place will determine the future, as always!

18. Francesco H.

Francesco H. Registered

so old you will not be - we must be glad the rF2Beta experience, I'm 52 :)

19. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

LOL, here we go another CdnRacer style, man you aren't that clever really, he was meaning the sim racing comunity using rFactor 1. Yes there are lot of gimmie gimmie people in rFactor comunity, and Gtr2 as well. Some of them are probably bitching about this 1 year thing.

20. johnsclander

johnsclander Registered

(excuse my non-accurate english)

The service provides a way to generate and maintain unique Mod/Package ID’s. This should help reduce the mismatch problem found in the current version of rFactor and also help reduce/eradicate version confusion for the end user.

Few questions about this service:

-If my league mates and me, for example, take a X mod, and modify it (pits stop times, weight, engine power...) for league purposes...Will we be able of playing it online? or Will we only be able of play original mod? Will the service create and ID exclusively for our mod?

-Will the mods be just ID or will they be "controlled" also? I mean searching for copyright content, for example.

-Will there be some kind of mods database?

-Will this service be mandatory? I mean, if our league create a mod and don't want to share (only putting an example), will we have the possibility of not ID it?

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.