Lotus 49 Gripfest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F2Chump, Jun 28, 2012.

1. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

There are at least 4 people in this thread who have doubts about the F1.

2. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I have similar experience with historic F1 in rF2, that 1959nikos, F2Chump described. Too much front end travel up-down, it unsettles too easy responding to gas-brake. Front end floating up and down, twitching left-right, but tires never feel like griping the track. In GPL, for example, I approach a corner, apply brakes, front end dives in, I feel front tires grip the surface. Here its rather slides away annoyingly. There are other details I don`t like. Just can not enjoy rF2 for now like I enjoy rF1 and GPL long ago.

Brabham in Monza is better. But I can not say its miles better than HSO F5000 1972 mod for rF1.

I don`t feel like arguing, just my 2 cents.

3. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

So from one side you have the Brabham-Repco and at the other the Eve, modelled on a Matra.
    Both of them are of similar age, both of them similar weight and horsepower, both of them F1s.
    First one is as easy to drive as F2s and F3s, the second you have to spend ages on learning.
    Does this make sense to you?

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

and yet when others argue against you they are labeled fanboys....swings and roundabouts chump....name suits you btw!

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Not given the Brabham a proper go yet so can't comment on that comparison.

6. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Look up the term "rational discussion"

7. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

It'll be arcade right......?

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

look f2chump, if you cannot discuss things properly without name calling and irony all the time, lets end it here.

9. Schueppe

Schueppe Registered

I don't think it's fanboyism if somebody holds another opininion, I for one am quite able to drive the F1's around spa safley for at least 20 laps and I'm by no means an über driver. As long as I don't try on the complete limit it's safe enough (one or two tight spots but overall...), on the limit trying Quali pace every lap it's another matter but thats only normal. I do agree though that in my opinion getting grip back once you slide is in some situations to slow.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

my point exactly about "fanboys"! I prefer Fanman myself ;)

anyway just so you know I'm not saying that the F1 is perfect and there is nothing wrong with it, maybe there is I dont know I'm not technically advanced enough to comment on that side of things, but to me they feel like I'd imagine them to be in the 60s so thats bloody good.....and again thats after a lot of practice as the first few (hundred!) laps I was all over the place.
    If there is something a miss with them then great, it may get sorted in the future....for now just enjoy it as it is or race something else!

11. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

F1 was the only thing I was interested about when I purchased Rf2, so actually I can't drive any other car. In the beginning, I was only driving EVE f1, because the Spark was impossible. But when I had mastered the EVE I changed to Spark. I thought that if I learn to drive the Spark, then it will be very easy to drive EVE then ;)

Now, when I have only played with the Brabham since it was released, I can't drive Spark anymore. Tried today, but could not complete a single lap at Spa. The EVE is fine but the Spark... you really have to spend some time to get in to it. When you got it, you can drive as fast as with the EVE. My best time Mid Ohio is 1:25 with Spark, I can't beat it. My brother drives 3:22 at Spa with the Spark. I can't beat it with any of them :p

The Brabham is easy to drive, the other F1's you need to spend some time with car setup, especially the Spark.

12. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I perceived a bit of improvement in this area with Build 90 and mod update. Did anybody else get that feeling? I am sure I am making more saves but these things are so hard to judge with different cars and tracks and more practice. But I really felt like there was a change immediately after the mod update.

My sentiments exactly. Maybe you and I can form a league of two! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2012
  13. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

That was exactly my feeling too.

I'm in!

14. jjcook

jjcook Registered

1 person likes this.
  15. osella

osella Registered

I didn't, feels exactly the same as 6 months ago.

I too feel CDNRacers' reaction with image was a bit silly, makes us all look like whiners who consider it junk, well just realize I didn't have such difficulties driving any car in any other sim, including GPL, RBR, LFS, GTR2, iRacing and some oif those cars had several times more power.

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I like the way ISI is doing things.

It seems to me like you have to do a couple, few laps to get some heat into the tire, not just the surface but the carcass. I drive rF2 but almost entirely feel just like I do with netkar. I've tried iracing(papy) again recently and their way of driving is mostly visual, no feeling at all. Not my thing but that choice is there for people who like to drive with no feel.

I personally don't want ISI to do things like Kunos or iracing or whatever sim you guys are comparing it to. I want them to do it their way. I like have two different perspectives on what a racing sim should be on my computer. If you like GPL and want ISI to be like GPL then race GPL. GPL is old, ancient sim done by some guy with zero personality and who still uses that title as his claim to fame. I digress.

Choices people, it's a great concept.

17. osella

osella Registered

I don't remember anyone saying that rf2 should feel like gpl, again you are putting things we didn't say in our mouths.

Sure if you heat the tyres it becomes driveable but imo it is overdone. Those 60s tyres were much closer to normal street tyres and such tyres don't depend on temperature very much. If they did, you'd have to drive like madman every time you go buy breakfast to have any grip.
    For modern F1 tyres that would be acceptable, the newer tyres the more they depend on good temps.

18. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

It's a super hard compound bias ply treaded tire. Do the math on that one. Not much grip. ;)

Don't compare a tire from 50 years ago to a tire today. Impossible and not even close. Tire technology has come a LONG way in 50 years. lol. Those guys wish they had the tire that is on your family sedan.

19. osella

osella Registered

Except the overall grip is not the issue. I believe overall grip level is perfect on those cars.
    Setting accurate grip level is easy, even for modders, because from laptimes you will see it. Its about how they behave on the limit which I don't buy.

You can have 2 cars that turn exact same laptimes (and the same grip, top speed etc.), yet one of them will be impossible to drive and the other one will be super easy, for instance by setting absurd slipcurve on one of those cars.

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

So Brabhams, who are supposed to be older than Eves/Matras, have better tyres? :p