Lotus 49 Gripfest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F2Chump, Jun 28, 2012.

1. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

If a modder can tell me how to swap the engines, I'll be happy to test this...

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Engine line in HDV points to filename that is used as an engine, you just need to copy engine.ini that you want to transplant to other car to folder of car you would like to test with that engine and change engine line in hdv to new engine name. With rF1 that would be all that is needed.

But with rF2 before you get to that engine swapping part, you would need to get car you would like to test into dev mode, which includes changing lines in gen files from my memory, also need to extract several mas files to folder where you put that car in dev mode, maybe simplest to use testmod for purposes. Can't remember if veh file was. Then there can be issue with sounds as I had no luck extracting samples, don't know if that is possible to get working without extracting samples from mas files.

Searching topic megane to devmode might give bit more information than what I can now remember from top of my head.

Engine.ini is however in carname_MAIN.mas with ISI cars.

I have meant to get 60's car to devmode for some testing purposes, but as it takes quite few steps that I don't remember quite clearly I haven't so far found motivation to do so.

What I think about 49 lotus and rest of the stuff, well I would imagine that it is perfectly possible drive fast without sliding, but sliding is perhaps possible too.
    I did put tires from ISI 60's formula to other car just to experiment a bit and I got 1.5G at skidpad and car liked to roll over quite easily, I had +0.5 Camber and 0 degrees Caster, over 1600kg mass and very soft suspension in that car. 325BHP was not quite enough to lit them up with live axle equipped vehicle. So ISI cars have rather good tires, don't know how much grip is influenced by mass in rF2, but tires are grippers, imo.

3. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

I swapped some engines from GTR Evo, but that was simple as pie, but rf2 sounds like real challenge for a chump like me.

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

It is bit of that, I'm not exactly newbie to modding, not most clever one either, but it is rather daunting task at the moment at least, purpose is to make installing mods easier and solve mismatches but it has some complications that might not be foreseen or are considered minor issues, but bringing up situations were we meet difficulties might give more correct image to ISI about variety of situations where complications arises.

Anyway doing it few times one learns how to do it and should not be much more than increased time consumption as setback, however it kind of kills motivation to do quick tests like these when you have to do so much more. Well this is bit OT and subject to topics that discuss more about current systems than how grippy or loose certain vehicles should be.

5. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Very interesting read guys! IMO the F1s are very drivable, except for the Eve maybe(I account that to a lack of skills:p), and with every meter I get more fascinated with the driving experience, which is for a big part because of this great tire model. It's still WIP and so whatever happens, it'll only get better.

6. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Not online, NO-ONE races them.

7. osella

osella Registered

Well, the physics are the same offline as online ;)
    Just shows they are too hard for most people now though.

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

After a long time, I think I must reverse a lot of my thoughts about 60s F1 cars, Eve and Spark, compared to the Brabham.

I drove Eves at Spa and I thought, these cars are dangerous!!
    When Brabhams came, I drove them at Monza and I was relieved that a F1 60's racer, can be drivable, so this reinforced my believe that f1 eves and sparks were undrivable!
    People around commented that this is why you cannot find eves and sparks at servers.

Last night a server hosted a race at Monza, with most people racing a eve or spark and I joined.
    What a revelation!
    Raced an eve B, with wings and it was miles ahead of Brabhams!
    Easily 3 secs faster, much more stable at top speed, really stronger brakes, much more stable inside Lesmo and Parrabolica!!

I have a big impression that these cars are grossly underrated (by me too) :(

(Im sure this happened because Spa, as much as I like it, is a ploughfield compared to Monza)

9. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

nikos, how come you find this Spark/EVE server? I, who enjoy the cars very much, never find servers ;)

Yes the EVE with wings is really nice. You can really feel the downforce (even if it's not very much).
    Anyway, I don't know if it's just me but I find both Spark and EVE easier to control under braking since 85 or 90 build (I don't remember). But before, you could easily loose control over the Spark when braking too hard, no mather if you were keeping the car straight, because Spa is really bumpy. But now I find it very good under heavy braking, even on the outlap when brakes and tires are still cold.

I'm glad you enjoyed your race :)

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Its the VRL Funserver, they have a mod VRL Furnaces (I dont know why the name lol) that you can download via GetMode, you can have Brabhams there too, but last 3 nights, Eves and spark came and it was fun :)

Now that you mention it, I didnt try Eves at the last builds, perhaps this is the difference.

11. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Is it just me, or have the power spikes of the FISI been addressed?
    That said, the HDR no longer seems to make the cars exterior gleem.....