Released Long Beach Grand Prix Street Circuit

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Best track to test your settings is the official Nurburgring track. It's the worst and most unoptimized official track in rFactor2, specially at the main straight.. If you're good at Nurburgring track, you'll be fine in all circuits ;)

darkojovanoski1986 and Rastas like this.
  2. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

It's allways funny to read comments by people stating how certain tracks are terribly optimized. It goes that far that people expect a track like Nordschleife to have the same detail and fidelity like let's say Lime Rock Park. I think it doesn't need a degree in gamedesign to understand that a track like Nordschleife has a completely different level of complexity and scale simply due to it's size. If you take a look at all the details at the pit straight area, stuff like the Ringbahn and some other buildings, it's no suprise that the pit straight will tax your system more than Doettinger Hoehe where you just have a few trees left and right and stuff rendering at fairly low resolution far in the distance. And there is only so much you can do with LODing as you need a certain degree of detail in this day and age otherwise people will claim that your game does look like a PS2 game if it doesn't look like ACC at max settings. A decent looking game isn't enough anymore. This has nothing to do with bad optimization.

And in that regard it's no surprise that Long Beach is pretty heavy on the system aswell. I remember modded versions being very heavy in older games, especialy in areas like T1 where you have the big roller coaster going over the track. I bet that object alone requires a "few" more polys. The problem is, you can't render that object out as it's pretty much visible from everywhere. I have to say that the last optimization pass has helped Long Beach allready wich is a good sign.

3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

If you're talking to me i didn't mention NORDSCHLEIFE track, as it's obvious, i've mentioned Nurburgring track solo. It's the heaviest track on rFactor2 and it might work as a benchmark if you're struggling with performance issues...

There are other detailed tracks, like Monza or Spa that don't tax the system as Nurburgring so yes, i can think it's on the "unoptimized" side, i don't see anything that cost that lack of performance, unless it loads the entire "nords" track too, which i honestly doubt...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Isn't Nordschleife and Nurburgring literaly the same track? I mean, they could propably do what Kunos did for AC and release them as seperate tracks, but that wouldn't change the fact that the pit area is very complex with lots of different structures and buildings that need to be rendered pretty far. And Monza and Spa have non of this. If you ever have been to Spa, it's quite asthonishing how simple all the structures are.

5. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Nurburgring has a lot of structures and trees visible over large distances. I think they have used part of the Nords area to create a richer environment for the GP layout. I guess removing a lot of that would make it faster but then some would complain that it's gone worse visually.

Instead of degrading the quality of the track for everyone, I think it would be better to use the track detail setting.

In that regard, I think it's a good idea to have graphical settings profiles per track when needed. It would be ideal if we could configure a profile to load automatically for some tracks, but it's easy to load them manually.

6. VirtuaIceMan

VirtuaIceMan Registered

Any chance this will get added to the IndyCar pack? It's a bit slim compared to BTCC Total or Formula E.