Latest Roadmap Update -October 2017

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'd suggest that some of what we're seeing at the moment is S397 transitioning rF2 to what they want it to be, and because it's developing an already existing game we're seeing the ugly steps instead of just the final product. And yes, they'll try and make some money out of it while they do it, too. (not really a loss for anyone that buys content, as it will end up as part of whatever S397 is aiming for)

More than that, we probably shouldn't look further ahead than they do in their roadmaps. If rF2 works for you now, or at some point, then great. If not, probably best to wait. We'll only know what's going to happen when it does. Everything else is pure conjecture.

Jeremy Talbot, Emery, ceecee and 3 others like this.
  2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

One of the forum moderators once said that, in a forum, calling someone a fanboy was considered a lack of respect.

The same thing should be applied to those that call other to be a troll.

3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Going back ontopic.
    According to roadmap, it is stated the next major code update will bring DX11 to standard. It will also include rain effects. It is definitely expected before the end of the year.
    Among others, it is stated that the reason for the delay is that HUD is being reworked although it will not be released until sometime next year with no more explanations. Confusing at least this last part.

Regarding UI, initially only client version seems to be under testing. It is also said that they are also sure that we are wondering when it will be released. For sure we are... Will it be implemented with the major code update where the DX11 will become default?

For the rest of the aspects of the UI which include launcher dedicated server and HUD we have to wait a little longer. Considering S397 should we expect another 6 months for this? IMO there were more problems with this unfinished aspects than with the client side which is quite straight forward to use.

The championship/management system: where does it fit in all these?

Hopefully in next roadmap which should be in about two weeks they will start clarifying more specific dates for the expected major updates.

5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I was referring to the iRacing fanboys around...

6. yippssy

yippssy Registered

Pay for race every hour is the iRacing game.

Scheudle of races from forums implemented in UI with [date/time/server location] in a [day/week/month] calendar should be the power of other game, rF2 by example.

Rui Santos likes this.
  7. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

THIS!

8. KILL BILL

KILL BILL Registered

For me, rf2 only improves. I do not understand those who are not satisfied with the work of the s397. If it were not for s397, simulator would probably have died. Even I, as a big connoisseur of this game, bought VR and stopped playing it. And it was sad, I no longer wanted to drive without VR, but I could not put up with the tires and physics of other simulators. And when I got the opportunity to drive to VR, it was like a new simulator. I never want to part with him.
    The main thing is to have a good FPS optimization. And the roadmap gives me hope.
    I want to thank S397 and hope that you will not abandon my favorite simulator and you will have enough money to support development!

9. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

what I said go to iracing :D
    free no, iracing glad you pay there ;):cool::cool::cool::D

10. Christian Wolter

Christian Wolter Registered

100% agree!!

11. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

No, absolutely not THIS because you don't understand how iRacing works. You don't pay per race. You pay a subscription (monthly, quarterly, annually). This gives you access the already scheduled "official" series with races that go off every hour/2 hrs/4 hrs. [They did run some series with specifically set timeslots that were shown to be popular each day, but seem to not want to do that in future]. If you bought the content, and have the right license [which is easy to get and maintain], it is "arrive and drive racing".

However, that is not all you get with the subscription. You get all app updates, each quarter. If someone creates a league, which does cost money to do since the servers are hosted by iRacing, then it is free to enter that league and participate in the races. You'd never have to spend a dime beyond the subscription if you just want to race in leagues that you didn't create. You can create many events, or just run a single one-time event if say you want a closed practice with just your buddies. You don't have your own dedicated server that runs on your own PC; and as a result, yes there is a charge if you want to host a race but its pretty low. The current subscription is $100/yr but most will be sensible and get it for $82 if already a member; its like the old ISI 1 yr online subscription that S397 did away with. It's a matter of perception as to whether that subscription is value-for-money given all the fully organized official racing and ability to join any/all league racing that you get. There are also monthly 'special events' which are typically endurance events, that pretty much all members can race in if they own the content. You can practice alone to your hearts content if your subscription is paid up; but there is no AI to race against.

You get participation credits that result in discounts to the DLC (paid content) and there are also other discounts that apply from the standard $10/$15 cost and for this you could probably get 2-3 pieces of content free each year without excessive participation (or apply that credit to the subscription). But, this makes the content much more expensive than the S397 DLC or R3E, AC or others content also.

But no, you don't pay per race; the issue is more the up-front cost to get you into the racing to begin with. Once the investment is made, you could race for not much and still get fresh content from time to time as well as a long term member.

12. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

there they pay up for peeing

rlong likes this.
  13. patchedupdemon

If people were sensible they wouldn’t join iracing in the first place,I spent £500 in my first year and a half there and got so frustrated that every car suffered the same problems,the tyre model.

Also the participation credits is a scam,people don’t realise that to get enough to where it matters you actually have to spend close to £200 to get enough tracks and cars to race multiple series for a full 8weeks.

you can only earn $40 a season and have to buy content first,and then rinse repeat for the next season because the tracks schedules change,so to not have to pay out just to earn participation credits,you would have to own all the tracks both oval and road,and quite a few cars and race every dam night of the week lol then it would start paying back very slowly.

It’s the biggest scam I’ve seen yet folks fall for it daily,I know because I did

Rui Santos and juanchioooo like this.
  14. Paulfield

Paulfield Registered

iRacing uses the wrong terminology ,purchase, they should use ,Rent, as you own nothing at all and you have to keep your subscription going to use what you rent. If you could use it offline I might change my view ?.
    You are better investing your money in your favorite rFactor2 leagues server cost or any future rFactor2 dlc.
    Rfactor2 cost to date. $49.00 game 5 years ago for me $16.73 DLC = $55.73
    Keep up the great work Studio-397. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

People should stop using the world "scam" if they dont know what it means.
    Read iRacing ToS, nothing of this is hidden. If it is not hidden, if it is explicity telling you how it works it's not a scam.
    By the way... read ANY game ToS you'll notice you dont own most of them ;)

16. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Once upon a time for a long time ago one software company released DX9 racing sim which was meant to be modding platform and the plan was only to make few tracks and cars just as an example to modding community.
    However back those ancient days some of community members knew that VR under development and DX11 was needed.
    When the game developer was asked if there is : "Any internal talks about DX11 in the future ? Is the move to DX11 much to complex ?
    Answer from the game developer was :It’s not about complexity, it is about benefit. There isn’t enough benefit to using it right now, though that does not mean there won’t be benefit going forward, though that might be with DX12, DX13, etc.

Does somebody remember which racing sim this was?

John, peterchen and Flaux like this.
  17. patchedupdemon

Iracing claim to offer slot of things,but once you dig deeper you will see they don’t,theycare the best team at marketing,and giving false advertising.
    They advertise iracing as a means of driving training tool,yet the tyres work the opposite to real life,in real life you have to build up temperature and keep it within an operating window,yet in iracing your never as fast as when you are on your outlap.

Participation credits are advertised as such as a way of earning enough to pay for contents or even subscriptions,yet those credits can’t be used to buy either a sub or content,I can’t remember which,and it doesn’t tell you that to be able to earn enough to do so,you first have to pump in £100s.

Iracing marketing is misleading until you read the small print,but who does that,there marketing flat out contradicts its small print

juanchioooo likes this.
  18. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

iRacing is not a scam, but you can end up spending a lot of money if you don't curb your enthusiasm. There is no 'small print'; they are clear that without the sub, you cannot use the content.

Your statement about not being able to use credits is completely false. I just did it with credits and added it to the Black Friday discount deal to extend my subscription. But most people use credits for content. Apparently you are just not very careful about the money you spend.

No doubt it is expensive compared to everything else. The R3E 'Premium Pack' is currently $117, for '100 cars and 25+ tracks'; and they rely on DLC for their entire revenue stream. Every track iRacing have is laser scanned and fully licensed, but that is not true of most other sims. They do have issues with the physics and tire model, but then, none of the others are perfect either. They are the only one that offers regularly scheduled open races for just about all content you can buy. The 12 week race series have tracks selected usually by the community, and often they want some variety in tracks and not run the same thing every season; but you only count 8 weeks, for credit, you can drop 4 plus many of the series also use at least some free content into the bargain. Plus there is a central place to find every league or hosted series. Meanwhile you pay $60 every year for F120xx or every two years for Project Cars and all but F120xx (single series type option) have DLC. S397 has to go down the same path or they will not survive.

I can't tell you to value the structured online environment, but I can only say that regardless of its price, not one other sim has it. Given there is no competition, they can pretty much charge whatever the market will bear.

19. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

With all due respect, do not you understand those who are not satisfied with what S397 did? This is not because the few things that have been done in 1 year satisfy you that they satisfy all users (just try to put you on time). Indeed all users have different expectations. I will not be exhaustive and besides I do not know everything that has been done so much that S397 is a company that communicates little and with little detail.

But in about 1 year of S397, that is what I see (may be forgotten):

- Very few real products 100% finished (not good and gives a not serious image of the company)
    - A GT3 mod with REAL car data and the latest physics technologies (exactly what I expected for ALL future S397 cars)
    - Several cars of very good quality as usual ISI, but frankly I'm not yet "reassured" (the GT500 disappointed me for example)
    - slight improvements in tire physics (what I expect the most but it seems very light in 1 year, especially since these new technologies have not been integrated into the old cars -huge mistake because it should have been a priority I think -)
    - EXTREMELY poor performance with the beta dx11, unless you have an ultra high-end GPU (yes it's a beta, but 6 months after no perceptible optimization has taken place, and apparently we will soon come out of the beta ... not very confident
    - Dx11 graphics really not extraordinary in comparison to all games / sim-arcade / sim market ... (a priority certainly secondary but frankly we can only be disappointed when we see the huge drop in performance!).
    - The VR (used by ~ 10% of the users apparently but deemed indispensable by them. Not useful or desired for me but I understand these expectations).
    - Visual damage (sincerely I was very surprised ... almost useless in a simulation and in my opinion one of the last priorities ...)
    - Many small bugs some of which are very awkward WITHOUT official support (ex: stuttering, alt + tab etc): dozens of messages of mutual help on the forum with very rare and short interventions of S397. I do not find that normal.
    - 1 only new track (or 2 if I counted wrong?) Incomplete (zandvoort) and not laser scanned
    - The set of cars ISI / 397 are not up to date (dx11 it does not matter of course and it brings almost nothing in terms of simulation, but not updated with the latest technologies of physics: it me seems to be a fundamental mistake (well OK do not say mistake if you want, say it was one of my strong expectations ...)
    - Projects in progress (often delayed without precise information - expected date of exit): UI without serious planning / communication, rain graphics planned without great precision but without the essential (management of aquaplanning = simulation), etc.
    - Cars to come but without any indication of planning even approximate (GTE, Tatuus)
    - RF2 still in beta after 5 years ... OK OK. We are still waiting a short year for the simulation to be described as almost "complete". But the problem of the beta dx11 (very poor performance) has seen almost no improvement in the last 6 months while it is the major problem of RF2 .... I am starting to have serious doubts about the capacity of S397 to display a good performance / quality ratio for its graphics engine.

Well I have necessarily forgotten things but I drew the table. After each interprets it in its own way. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THOSE OWN EXPECTATIONS, I respect the opinion of others.

My interpretation:

It's a duel between REALISM (simulation) and IMMERSION / ERGONOMICS.

- The second is 100 times more popular and probably theoretically allows new customers to come. The choice of S397? Choice of benefit focused on immersion and ergonomics. This choice is appreciated by some RF2 users (according to their expectations, I respect that of course) and by new customers from sim-arcade / car video games.
    - This displeased the others (apparently in minority).

So it seems that at the strategic level, S397 has strongly reduced these goals of realism thinking to be enough in advance, to privilege immersion / ergonomics (unfortunately for me).

But that does not have the desired effects at all, why? Unfinished products, not enough communication (more crunchy information on Discord than on the official forum / roadmap / overall communication.....), poor planning / information, but especially poor performance and frankly disappointing graphic quality, bugs and fluidity problems etc etc .

As for me I'm happy only for:

- Improving the tires (but not overall physics in 1 year)
    - GT3 with REAL data, other cars rather good but not exceptional ...
    Damn it, in fact there is only that which really satisfied me, it is a not say much, in 1 year.

The thing that I like most is the improvements of the tire model .... and 95% of S397 / ISI cars seem not to have it (same for S397 other physics technologies).

This is just to say that it depends on the POINT OF VIEW: from my point of view, there is really a lot of reasons to be disappointed (MY point of view /My wishes / My vision of a simulation).

20. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

YES it's THAT!! And i know how iRacing works, it's a SCAM and a dumb physics "sim", it's like learning to drive again! FYI last time i've bought 3 months i only used one!

dylbie and patchedupdemon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.