Latest Roadmap Update -October 2017

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

@demerzel @sg333 @patchedupdemon I'm not saying start developing RF3 now since S397 still have things on their checklist to finish (thankfully for us) but I wouldn't mind if they start working on something new in say 2 years.
    Sequels are usually better than their predecessor because devs already have either content or features developed that can just port to the new game, learn from previous mistakes and focus on adding new things which I'm sure will be the case with games that get developed in the following years. And even if not huge, better technology allows for improvements in the engine (Livetrack in PCars2 for example).

In 5-10 years rF2 will be as old as rF1 is right now. I think the only people still playing rF1 are the ones who can't afford a new PC that plays any of the current games (just see steam stats). It definitely shows its age by now.

Another point is modding. There's no doubt in my mind that the only reason AC is so popular is its huge modding community. S397 needs to steal these modders somehow and they won't be able to achieve it with RF2 but I'm no modder so I won't comment any further on this since I don't have the answers.

I don't mean to derail this into an RF3 discussion but i don't see it surviving another 5-10 years.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

i think you’d be suprised to learn that sequels aren’t completely new games at all,and that they port most of the prequel over with added optimisations and new features.

It would be mad for devs to start a fresh with completely new and different code,their profit margin would shrink considerably.

Now I’m not saying certain game couldn’t benefit from certain rewrites of code

bwana and juanchioooo like this.
  3. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

Hi Bernd,

The iRacing model is very attractive and currently have no market competition, more players means more money, automaticaly leading to a faster development for the simulator, in the end they can achieve the satisfaction of the majority of the community.

The modders community is strong and I really believe that the creation of own servers will continue to exist.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Their model surely hasn't lead to very fast development. iRacing seems to deliver approximately one new feature per year and new content is appearing at slow rate as well. iRacing is behind the competition in graphics, sound, weather, dynamics and well, pretty much most things apart from physics maybe.

5. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

The iracing engine is older than rf2. Anyway, I recommend you to compare the all 2017 iracing release notes with rf2 2017 roadmap updates to see who delivered more in the same time.

Rui Santos likes this.
  6. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

That's exactly what i mean...I don't expect it to be a completely new game (nor I want it to be) but there are a few things that are dated (now even, let alone in 5 years) and need to be improved. I'm sure S397 have identified things they would've done differently than ISI and just can't fix because they're part of the core of the game, so I don't see why thinking of a sequel in a couple of years would be a bad thing (given they find the resources needed to do so).

Rui Santos likes this.
  7. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Regarding a possible RF3, here's what I can say: I think S397 missed the mark if they want to make an RF3. They should have started it when S397 picked it up. That's how I imagine it should have happened:

- Start the development of RF3 as soon as S397 takes over
    - Take exactly the same elements that made the success of RF2 in RF3 that is to say the elements of REALISM (the algorithms managing elements of realism such as tires, realroad, FFB, chassis flex etc.). These elements are taken again in order to ensure a continuous improvement extremely significant as it could have been the case on RF2 (with really very important improvements, the goal being at the end of the development of RF3 to have a "new standard of realism" ). Better to improve (strongly) quality things from RF2 that rebuild completely (except possible exceptions, I am not a developer of S397 ...).
    - Do not take back the "bad elements of RF2" and do not try to improve them on the basis of existing: ERGONOMICS (UI etc.) and IMMERSION (graphics and especially performance, can be also head physics, etc.) . Regarding the graphics and performance, I think the choice to BUY an existing high end "ultra" graphics engine would have been wise ... since the graphics / performance of S397 are clearly not an asset of S397.
    - It would be ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to ensure a transition. I see this transition as:
    * continue RF2 until the exit of RF3
    * all (or almost) REALISM improvements in the development of RF3 would benefit RF2 (physics / FFB / realroad / other algorithms etc.).
    * Any new bugs would be processed according to their priority (for example a patch commitment only on level 0 and 1 bugs)
    * Some relatively easy improvements to integrate between RF3 and RF2 would be made (small bonus but no obligation / commitment on it).
    * Very strong communication of quality to explain this process to ALL the users of RF2 (not the 7-8 pilgrims who go on Discord or the very small minority who goes on the official forum ... ..), and all the community of Simracing ( difficulty because we know that communication / marketing / information is a weakness of ISI then S397).
    * RF3 would be built IN PARALLEL and with a regular and effective communication, according to the method that I stated above:
    ° Elements of realism = use the existing to very strongly rise in quality and get a new standard of realism at the exit of RF3 (satisfaction of "purists".
    ° Ergonomics / immersion elements (UI / graphics-performances etc.) = to start in "big" part of 0, by using the experience feedback and by looking at what has been done right and wrong in RF2 and in the competition (satisfaction of sim-arcaders, who have already played games much less realistic, as well as new customers.

Thus this RF3 could have satisfied many very different simracers and having different wishes / priorities.
    The key to this transition would have been communication and method.

These are just ideas. For me S397 has missed the check mark of RF3 (if they wish one day to make one). ONLY S397 has all the balls to make these decisions, I only emit hypotheses like you.

8. Omelete

Omelete Registered

the latest version of nordsleiche, cover of assetto corsa for rfactor is incredible ... works better in rf2 than in ac ... it would be wonderful to get the circuits scanned by assetto to our rf2 in the same conditions ...
    If then studio implements a monthly subscription to the online system similar to iracing, and focus on improving only this aspect ... crashes, license, ranking .. would be the only way to revive rf2

session clio ISI For begginer..
    session megane cup les begginer
    session gt3 more advanved
    session nissan gtrgt1
    session radical
    session formula two
    session formula indi
    no more cars are needed. only laser circuits..

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

so you are willing to alienate the V8 Supercar crowd? The Sportscar/GT groups?{one car does not make a sportscar field.} Stockcar/Nascar? Trimming an awful lot off the edges with that list.

10. Omelete

Omelete Registered

im talking about road... if you like oval.... tell us your series.... only official content.

11. lagg

lagg Registered

We need a modern F1

Ho3n3r, McNolo, Gaboni and 2 others like this.
  12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks for Info , it’s been updated recently ??

Ps I bought this in iracing & AC so no personal feeling of guilt using in rf2

13. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Old AC converted version = ksring 0.60a
    New is = "Nordschleife 2016". Google internationalsimracing.

14. Filip

Filip Registered

I googled and couldn't find it. On internationalsimracing site there is only ksring 0.60a.

Btw I bought AC if that means anything

Edit: I found it

15. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't. Post links and you'll be banned.

McFlex likes this.
  16. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Registered

A very good deal for the sim racer, but you don't get all DLC for that price. If it did, I don't know how the studio would be able to survive. New DLC is needed to fund ongoing development. I personally have no problem with funding though DLC, especially if it means helping keep the studio afloat.

17. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

I may have expressed myself poorly in English, sorry:

My idea is to increase the base price of the game with the same conditions which would be a fairer price supporting the developments.

This would include simulation with all these features + all existing and future free content. Each new DLC would pay a fair price (some complain about the 15 euros GT3 yet it is a good price for the customer).

On the other hand, as I said on another thread, this content MUST now in 2018 come only from TRUE accurate data (REAL cars data and laser circuit). All the interest of having by far the best simulation of the market is there especially with the approach of 2018.

It is a history of money obviously, but also to make the good priorities / choices: these two parameters play intelligently a role in the price of the DLC:

For example the price of the DLC could be higher for tracks like Nords, SPA Francorchamps, or even bathurst. For cars, the V8 supercars seem to like a lot by some users, for example, an F1 with only 1 chassis / engine would justify a relatively expensive DLC but it would need REAL accurate data. I think that another traction, a supercar type adventador (physics / very different from race cars, that is the goal) and an integral transmission like a WRC for example would be appreciable (in order to improve his driving and have more varied cars.)

Sim-arcaders who want to use the only true simulation of the market (or the best one if you prefer), that they put the price !! That they stop to fatten the blockbusters without realism nor flavor. Any good thing (better thing) has a price.
    But I absolutely don't agree to put the iracing system on RF2.... Only online, lack of freedom, rent, we own nothing, it is much too expensive, etc.

The system of RF2 is good but must the users put the fair price if the data are real (circuits and car).

18. Filip

Filip Registered

I wasn't asking for direct link ;)
    Btw are encoded links allowed?

19. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Didn't know you're the Head of S397 now. Great idea

Yeah, 60 euros for a laser scanned Nordschleife....what a bargain!!!!! People will buy it in an instant

Real data....in CAPS LOCK and bold. Got it

Yeah, 60 euros, no kidding

Ok, real data in bolds once again.
    S397 could release a car with bogus data and tell you it's real and guess what?? You wouldn't be able to tell the difference

Yeah, I don't think english is the problem. You should launch your own studio, sounds like you got it all figured out

20. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

How does your message bring anything to the different debates on this thread?

We are in the schoolyards is that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.