Is anything being done with rfactor2 to stop ram cheats?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by michael1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

big business in shooter games, and they sale for almost the cost of the game itself.
    and the main reason people cheat on them is to piss off others and have them rage quit the game.
    now is sim racing, i don't see the point, do people rage quit a race.? maybe during a crash...lol
    but i have never seen anyone quit over someones unbelievable lap time.
    i have seen many funny looking things over the years..
    someone faster on a long straight with full wing when i'm running no wing.. stuff like that.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Glory? people want to win races, championships, be awesome, get praised. be labeled as an alien.

But also maybe frustration when things just dont work? i think its wrong to asume cheaters allways win, they might be in mid-field as well, just using cheats because they have no clue on racing lines etc. Or someone wanting to penetrate the top 6 or so, beeing good at racing but just lacking that last little bit of push.

Could even be the 'can't beat them join them' principle when surtain communities cannot seem to get rid of them.

Also its a culture. in FPS games me and my clan just stopped competing at one point when we found out there are entire communities based on creating cheats, completely ruining the games we used and they a very competative approach in whom can create the best ones etc which level-ups their social status or whatever.
    Not sure if this applies to simracing though, i doubt it, i know where to find the fps-cheating communities (if they are still there, it was more then a decade ago for us) but i dont even want to know if they also focus on simracing lol.

3. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

If someone doesn't have a clue about racing lines and is mid-field in any race I've been in they'd be spotted fairly quickly. I never actually encountered any cheating but I did encounter a certain amount of dishonesty with regards to driver aides. If we let certain people host they'd conveniently forget to disable autosteer/autobraking/anti-lock brakes etc. but they totally weren't using it. Nope. 'cept until the server timed out and someone else restarted it as host... and the original host was suddenly lapping 4 to 5 seconds slower than they had been... still in denial.

This actually happened more than once.

4. Gimli Oakenshield

Gimli Oakenshield Registered

Totally agree.

But i know some leagues give awards for their best drivers, so this may be interresting in some strange point of view.

5. fanlebowski

fanlebowski Registered

I know we can cheat on rfactor, and on gmotor games. but i have to say in my country all "aliens" have shown their talent on many LAN competition. i mean VWTCC, ESWC, Granturismo academy, and others.

so i don't think the cheat is a real problem in our favorite game, although i understand the idea someone can cheat to be just better and not 1st everytime.

but, sometimes we see another kind of cheat... a player come on server with the name of his friend, and he is better than him ;) we can check this with ip adress.

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I run in a league where there is a whole team that runs crazy fast times in practice sessions but on race day their pace is way slower and they are extremely inconsistent. I have always wandered if maybe they cheat when they are alone to take the top spots on the laptime charts but don't bother cheating with others around for fear of getting caught. I know that most of the time the guys that are really fast are normally just that good. You watch their laps and they are really smooth.. almost slow looking. But it is the same way in real life. Laps that look or feel slow are normally the faster ones. But the team I am referring to has some really sloppy looking laps and their laptimes are all over the place. Most true aliens can repeat a very fast laptime over and over again. I think overall cheating isn't much of a problem. I think people get accused of it but they aren't actually cheating. I know a lot of the rF community is involved in leagues and I think leagues would normally weed people like this out on their own.

7. michael1

michael1 Banned

you can not catch them simple unless they make a big mistake best was is to use it yourself do a silly lap then see if suspects go faster

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

ISI has a responsibity and professional obligation to provide cheat protection and to continually update it for the life of the game. Of course iit will get cracked but constant monitoring of the problem and playing catch up will put off most cheaters.

There is not even really a question of ISI's responsibity in this and I assume that they would agree with this. The integrity of the game and of the entire company is at stake. If this was a primarily offline game it wouldn't be as important.but since rf2 is an online game first they have no choice in the matter.

I have no proof- but I have seen cheating. It was some sort of horsepower cheat and it wasn't subtle. This guy was 5 secs faster than everyone else at Mills Inner C. He pulled away from me on the straight like I was dragging an anchor. I can't prove he was cheating but when I see a turtle on a fencepost I don't need to see that someone put it there either.

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

....And we're OFF!!

10. Favio

Favio Registered

Cheater's have a small di*k, that's all I can say about it.

11. RacerXtc

RacerXtc Registered

Well you might be the fastest guy in town... wow
    are you the fastest in your state?
    are you the fastest in your country?
    and now the big one ...are you the fastest in the world.. he passed me and he is cheating.. I Don't believe it
    your just not as good as you thought.. Your competing with the entire world get over yourself... Or buy a race car and beat up all your local guys on the track... Or maybe you are that good.. Congrats now bust all those cheaters cause i haven't seen it.. Join a league!! and have some fun see you on the track I'll be in the middle :eek:

12. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Aliens exist, but so do cheaters. Not every guy who's 5 seconds faster than everyone else is an alien, some are just cheaters.

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

There are plenty of fast dudes out there and a FEW cheaters. What is the point of cheating on an open server?

Every piece of software out there can be hacked. At least this isn't a subscription service that is getting hacked. ;)

14. ORA-Oldie

ORA-Oldie Registered

Why would anyone want to Cheat? Are they not really only cheating themselves by having a false level of performance/skill?

Sorry for the dumb question but but I simply don't understand it.. it's like Lying.. doesn't help anyone at anytime so why do it?

I would have thought people would be working on their racecraft, improving their skill set in order to increase their ability to race more effectively.. instead of being T*rds with no Brains or Honour.

I race only for the enjoyment of racing with solid drivers I've known for a few years.. winning is not important.. participating is.

15. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Well what's the point of using wallhacks and aimbots in Counter-Strike on open servers? Yet people still do that, oh boy do they ever... Some people just get their kicks from stuff like that. I never understood trolling either, but it's a very common phenomenon. Some people just plain and simple are dicks, especially when they've got access just about total anonymity.

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

So because I'm questioning the accusation that cheating is a major problem and because I'm pointing out that you'll never completely stop cheating I'm trolling?

17. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

What? Where did you pull that from? I was just saying that people do things that make no sense to other people. For example trolling makes no sense to me, but still many people do it. Likewise you and others asked why people would cheat, in general or on open servers specifically. It makes no sense to us, but still people do it. At no point was I trying to imply that you were trolling. =)

It is a very serious problem, and a hard one to tackle.

18. Flickspeed

Flickspeed Registered

There is software called rF_Scan

http://www2.simsync.de/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?11131

http://www2.simsync.de/download.php?view.224

It is already implemented in several leagues.

And yes blatant cheating is not the problem, there is no way you can detect cheating in telemetry, especially when the person is equally boosting all values. It makes it seem like the setup is better :) butfor real it is cheating. So Yes ISI needs to do a better job, but I hope external programs like rF_Scan will still exist in addition to make cheating much harder. But the threat of cheating will always exist in online environment. It is something we all need to get used to. No matter how much ISI works or how good rF_Scan is, there will always be a coder who loves cheating or someone who will pay a coder to cheat and win racec. So bottom of the line is this... If you really want to be 100% sure nobody is cheating, you gotta organize a LAN League. Or you can always invite the best guys in your league to lan parties. I am actually considering opening a LAN league.

19. stonec

stonec Registered

http://rf2vec.net/index.php?threads/ghovand-keanie-banned.343/

Seems I spoke too soon about no cheaters. This is the first cheat case in official rF2 league that I have heard of. Regarding rFscan, as far as I know it's not implemented for rF2. Using anti-cheat tool designed for rF1 would be of limited use with rF2. So far the only proper cheat tool for rF2 is FSR Manager, developed by Christian Smirnoff for FSR league.

20. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Where is the proof?

This is no proof of ram cheat:

"However looking at the xml files, and 3 different replays AND the fact that the ping rose to 1000 m/s only when he was on his fast lap means ram cheat."

VEC don`t have any cheat application and server did also crash:

"I´ve used most of the day, just to be 110% sure of this, this takes the fun out of being an admin - on top of last nights server crash. I cant explain if this has anything to do with the server crash - but the lap he did was 2 minutes before the actual server crash."
    "Now, if anyone is aware of any anti cheat application, let me know. I´m in touch with ISI about several things, this is one of them."

You can not ban people who has high ping there must bee better proof, If I start to ban anyone who has high ping and just to look xml files, 1/2 of the world is going to bee banned.

Everybody knows that ping higher then +200 is no good to racing and if you are running league don`t allow higher then that.