Is anything being done with rfactor2 to stop ram cheats?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by michael1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

If rF2 is released on steam alot of these cheat worries should be gone. VAC is excellant. Not perfect as all software can be hacked but it stops the easy/old hacks and is continously looking for new ones.

2. michael1

michael1 Banned

No i have codemasters F1 2011 and call of duty on steam cheats still work perfect f1 2011 they make the cars float in the sky lol also call of duty you can unlock ammo an helth easy and also float in the sky and shoot everyone

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Not perfect Micheal but better than nothing. Those cheats won't last for much longer either. Not to mention those are some pretty obvious cheats that would get you banned in any sort of semi serious league. Any piece of software can be hacked. It takes some skill to hack and be subtle about it at the same time. ;)

4. michael1

michael1 Banned

Ye i hope they do not its the easy cheats i dont like any pro hacker can not be stoped because they write programs but simple tools for the more common person that make it so easy to cheat i hope to be stoped you can spot 1 or 2 Hackers but not when there are 100s useing cheat tools then its a big problem.

5. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

RAM cheats are really easy to detect if ISI does a little bit of work. The cheating app has to map itself into the game's address space and that can be detected. Once detected the game can terminate itself and end of story. I hope that ISI takes the steps necessary to do this.

6. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

If it really easy as you say I would love to do this. A working code example would be the best. Thanks

7. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

Jeremy : I think it would be best to discuss this via PMs. There is no sense in divulging the strategy to the cheaters.

8. fazerbox

fazerbox Registered

It is not so easy to block RAM Cheat. There are many ways to read and write a process memory even not using popular SW.
    I don't want to write here about these methods, but as programmer I can say it is easy. You can work in Process space, but you can do your job from an external process too.

If it were simple develop a working anticheat we'b be full of them.

I hope to be in error :) .

Cheers,
    Max.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2011
  9. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

I am a programmer too and I don't think it is that tough. I have been working at very low levels of windows code for a long time so I have a fairly good idea of what is going on.

One problem is that many companies don't care very much about cheating so they don't even bother trying to prevent it. The big question is how badly do those people want to cheat? If they are very serious about it then it is tougher to prevent. I can think of at least four ways to do it and all of them can be done in about two days of work. One way will depend on how easy it is to adapt ISI's code to but the others don't. Hopefully they will be able to implement all of them.

10. fazerbox

fazerbox Registered

I contact you via PM.

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Kudo's for you guys!

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Just an FYI, there is some info on cheating protection, and the problems of designing good cheat protection... Some quite in-depth stuff, in the Q&A which should be published in English and Spanish at a community site tomorrow.

13. michael1

michael1 Banned

Hi Tim i cant find it can you link me pls?

14. mcmoha

mcmoha Registered

15. the_last_name_left

the_last_name_left Registered

The way I look at it, I console myself that anybody who beats me is cheating. So, I'm glad to have it confirmed that there are cheats.

Just kidding......

Must be a pretty sad fellow whom resorts to cheating in a game? Why do it? Does it make them feel better knowing that they won by cheating? I don't get it.

I used to play Quake and whatnot online - was surprised to discover there were aiming bots, see-through-wall mods etc. I don't get the psychology of it - "Yay I won (by cheating)." Ho hum. Just to be "the winner" at some round of an online computer game?

Ah - who cares, really? Does it matter that much? Take part and just enjoy it......knowing you are not cheating, and likely nor are the people behind you. :D But the guy infront.....well.....obviously a cheat. lol.

16. michael1

michael1 Banned

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If you disable automatic updates you can alter the local files as much as you want. Steam also doesn't check anything in memory while running.

The X series from Egosoft is something I bought through Steam, it's fairly open to modding, and I install those mods (which often completely change gameplay) on my Steam installation.

18. michael1

michael1 Banned

i hope you just make it as hard as pos for them to do it we just had 1 on simraceway doing tensec faster and his last lap was 0.6sec

19. rci808

rci808 Registered

wow... cheating.... i didnt know this game meant so much... what do we get when we win while cheating?.. is it really worth it?

just curious.

20. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yeah, I share your point of view, but there are those who don't. I don't understand them either, but they exist and we must deal with them.