Is anything being done with rfactor2 to stop ram cheats?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by michael1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Noel's comment on ASLR sounds like a good idea. Would this not reduce the likelihood of RAM cheats? Maybe DEP?

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Johhny Dep?

(sorry I could not restrain myself)

3. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

People can say whatever they want. But the reality is that cheating was and its present in simracing and no one seems to care.
    Even a stupid +1 speedhack on cheat engine people use to gain advantage. Even miniclip stupid games have implemented anti-cheat systems.
    Im sorry if im looking a ragdoll in a washing machine trying to fight the world but i cant support this things neither im happy with devs work on this subject.....years and years watching people cheating in rf1 and nothing being done to prevent it.
    If my presence is so annoying to you ill promisse that you wont see any post from me here again.
    Cya all.

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Been drinking? :p

Freaking out over a few cheaters is just funny. Calm down man. Jeebus, rF2 isn't even a popular game. How long did it take for ONE league to accuse this ONE person?

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Uh. My understanding is opposite, there has been many things done in design of rF2 to reduce cheating. Such as use of mod packaging system, which prevents a single bit to be changed (in rF1 you could change even tracks without mismatch). Cheating is one of the smallest issues in rF2 at moment, there are much bigger issues. As far as I know, before this VEC case (which now also seems a bit questionable), there was not a single public cheat case being discussed. FSR had 0 cheaters whole 2014 season, with rF1 we had cheaters every year. Ok, we use our own anti-cheat tool, that probably helps. Leagues running without any anti-cheat tool are always going to be more vulnerable, not least because people simply are more tempted to try their luck then.

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The packaging system has nothing to do with cheating. Even in rf1 you couldn't tamper with physics in a mod without getting a mismatch and being thrown from the server. Ram cheats are the problem and it's not a super simple thing to prevent. Just because only one person has been busted doesn't mean there is only one person using it. There are several others in VEC that are also being watched. People were busted frequently in rF1. The main reason ram cheats aren't rapid in rF2 yet is the builds don't stick around long enough for the addresses to leak to the masses. rF1 was on the 1.255F for many many years. So long that dedicated software was made for ram cheating rather than the other common frameworks that I would rather not point out. VEC is still using build 798 which probably makes them more vulnerable.

I can understand why the average hotlapper or offline racer thinks this isn't a big deal. But leagues don't like this stuff at all. Join any league and search their forum for the word cheat and you will probably dig up some controversy.

Guys that don't care about cheating and have no first hand experiences with it, please just stay out of the discussion. I really don't see why some of you think admins priorities are less important that hotlappers priorities.

7. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Arrogant much? Why are your priorities more important than mine or someone elses? Go ahead and spread fear over some nonsense. I'm sure your league won't be around much longer. ;)

How many leagues are actually running rF2? Seriously, online has been dead for a couple of months now. lol

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
  8. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Okay that makes no sense. You're calling me arrogant for pointing out that your calling us drunk and dismissing our conserns. The arrogance sounds like it's on your side. I never said anything about admins having priority over hotlappers. Also, what makes you think our league will not be around for long. Its been around in its current form (endurance devision) for 6 years. We have 65 teams signed up with a total of 238 drivers. But you think it's suddenly going to dry up? Please. Stop the silly nonsense. Let's be productive here. Admins started this thread for a reason. If you don't care about cheating then fine. Don't bother posting here. But don't come in here acting like a child calling people drunk or arrogant.

rF2 isn't dead. But it's not as strong as rF1 was. What's your point anyways. What does participation have to do with us wanting anti-cheat? When the participation picks up it will just become a larger problem as it was in rF1.

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Calling Hibbard arrogant is a proof of ignorance.
    Making your point is one thing, calling major contributors here names is too much to even consider your argument.

Cool down, youre out of limits.

10. stonec

stonec Registered

I'm surprised to hear leagues still use older builds, B798 has been out for over 3 months now, so I can well see that as a contributing factor in this VEC cheat case. For the entire season my league always stuck with the latest build released, there was no major issues with this approach (maybe we were lucky).

11. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

We normally don't hold on to old builds. The problem is 860 has a bug where the track doesn't reflect in some weather conditions which makes it tricky to react too. It will look like a dry spot but it really isn't. We run full weather and our race this weekend is 8 hourd at Silverstone and you know what that means. Hehe. If our next race was projected to be full dry we probably would have made the jump to 860. So yeah, unfortunantly it makes us more vulnerable. I suspect we will see a new build before our next race which will be the first Saturday of December. It also seems like 860 has a bit of a memory leak on the dedi. On 798 I haven't seen the server over 600mb.

12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Because: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/21860-B860-RealRoad-reflections-broken

13. Descoat

Descoat Registered

The decission of using an older build doesn´t help anybody to cheat. No allways recent builds are better for a league competition if there´s any bugs like this.

I hope ISI will find a solution.

14. stonec

stonec Registered

15. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

That would TOTALLY ruin rain running, and we run "Live Weather" - up to 100% wet, using custom tires designed for our first race. You NEED reflections to estimate wetness and to spot drying line. And yes, there are plenty of reflections. B860 is broken, so we don't use it ;)