Is anything being done with rfactor2 to stop ram cheats?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by michael1, Mar 31, 2011.

1. michael1

michael1 Banned

hi was just wondering has anything been done with rfactor 2 to stop ram cheats?
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2011
  2. John DiFool

John DiFool Registered

What's a RAM cheat? You don't mean the RAM patch do you?

3. michael1

michael1 Banned

No i mean ram cheat [Link removed, because direct link to cheating software is not appreciated] it works on any games an some online bingo. were you change memory values online to cheat eg. the diffuser dubble vaue can be changed to make the car drive on rails you can pull 5sec a lap with this an can not be detected or missmatch online or you can stop the tire deg or half the weight of the car an pro cheaters use it only to overtake by setting a hot key used as a boost to overtake because there is a risk of the sim crashing if used in a long race. it also makes the car look like they drive on 3 wheels and servers with no driving aids can easy be terned back on with this an you can sit back in auto drive an win an no1 will no. so basicly if you go an train 1 track an do 1000 laps testing i will be able to beet your lap time by 5sec with no practice, in my leauge i use tyka anti cheat on my servers but i have still found ways to cheat .

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011
  4. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Guys, no problem if you want to talk about RAM Cheats, but please talk about the issue so that unaware users are unable to download cheating tools and install them.

Thank you.

5. michael1

michael1 Banned

Ok sory max it realy annoyed me being in a leauge last year i did all f1 races then found out the driver who drove like michael schumacher was a RAM head. So i started my own leauge with tyka but i was just thinking will rfactor2 have anti cheat. eg tyka

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No information would be released on what, how, why, where, etc. That only helps the people you wouldn't want it to.

7. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Ram cheats are the least of my worrys, its the other programe that is about which is even easier to use and is undetectable with rfactor....

8. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

No problem, Tim wrote better than me (english is not my native language) why is safer to be vague talking of cheats.

BTW, i know of some leagues which force their drivers to use the MoTeC, asking to the top 3 or top 5 drivers of any race to send the MoTeC log to the league admins.

I realize this "anticheat system" requires some time to league admins to check the MoTeC logs, but looking to the telemety is not so hard to discover blatant cheaters.

9. michael1

michael1 Banned

Yes but do you think MoTeC can pick up on a diffuser with its value changed just to gain a few tenths a lap because you can have a RAM head thats 2-3 sec faster they just stand out easy doing 3 wheels or bottoming out more than normal,
    its the one that gained a few tenths that was never noticed i worry about.

10. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Yes, it can and in fact, things like better downforce from diffuser are very easy noticable in telemetry :)

11. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

We tested another cheat which can make the cars faster by tenths or seconds, the only thing noticble was the ping went higher the faster you made it.

This is what worrys me, we got the heads up about it from another league as a couple of guys got caught using it, its that good it can be altered while racing.

12. theother5

theother5 Registered

I believe that cheaters in well run racing leagues are a significant minority.

Go onto open servers online and at the very least, undisclipined player numbers grow quickly.

I do not want regulations, game programming overhead and special processes overcrowding my online racing experience, the game performance etc.

That said, anti cheat tools where appropriate make huge sense.

In princiople it is possible to develop a totally new and secure anti-cheat solution but for sure, it will be cracked and then even more will be required. Start down that road and it will never end. Perhaps we need to be on that road in reality but it should not be the main path to managing and controling cheats!

Facing some facts, cheats will always exist and will always work out way to do their cheating!

Therefore, in my humble opinion effort and resources into supporting formalised leagues and online racing clubs by code developers may indeed to be way forward. Do the anti cheat dection stuff also but focus largely on the requirements of racing league/racing club admins.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
  13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Sounds like: do not use encrypted communication channels because it may be broken one day.
    Good system-wise client-server-architecture anti-cheat solution would be safe enough. Even broken, server will get to know about this.
    There are a few anti-cheat solutions on game market which works for years.

And you are not right saying that "minority" may be ignored. Just they kill fun of racing. It goes more sucked when we take into account leagues offering prizes for winners/top3.

I understand that there may be some other priorities and AntiCheat system is listed on ToDo list later. But I hate ignorance. Letting problem be is not a solution.

14. Stefano Schivari

Stefano Schivari Registered

sure your right but if a league,my league is working on a private anti-cheat system,has an anticheat i think that for the cheater is more easy search a league without anticheat that find a way to crack it.
    of course most of cheaters are pc geek so they love find a way to crack something,a game or an anticheat in this case,but sure this kind of 'drivers' are the minority.
    simracing is a great word,i can say a big family...in every family we can find bad boys

15. theother5

theother5 Registered

MaXyM, appreciate your reply ..... and I think you'll find we may be alot closer to a common position [cheater prevention] but we may have different approaches to it.

My prioritisation is to allow focus by the dev team to get the best quality game released. This, in the expectation that with future updates including those to address cheater will come out. This feels more valuable to be have a high quality well testing and strong performing game platform.

That my stating the obvious of "Cheaters will always exist" should not be misunderstood as some declaration of defeat on my behalf !!! .... rather a positioning of the problem which in my opinion, a well run online racing clubs/ leagues are best placed to manage.

The harsh reality is that if I go onto an open server, I will encounter cheats ... point of fact. is a reason why I join a racing club/league.

16. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yes. Understand your point. But it is true from a player point of view.
    From administrator point of view, this statement is not enough. Not enough to make sure that all competitors are fair. It's main problem for league organizers.
    Just imagine, organizing open, country-wide simracing championship with valuable prizes. Do you think, no one will try to cheat?
    Unfortunately you cannot kick anybody out from competition just because you guess he cheating. You must have proof for that. But we have none - only assumption.

Finally... yes, we can live without it as we did for the last 5-10 years (different sims). But we are trying to ask for more any time we have the opportunity

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If rF2 has a super-duper anti-cheat system it'll still get cracked at some point. Then we either wait for ISI to update it (and again when it gets cracked again) taking away development time for rF2 content (bearing in mind ISI isn't just doing rF2), or we do our own checking using our knowledge of the vulnerabilities that exist. The only difference between rF2 doing 'nothing', and spending weeks and weeks on an anti-cheat system, is the time spent fixing bugs or adding useful content and the initial delay (and each post-patch delay) in cheats appearing.

I'd like to see some delay, but I don't want rF2 to be a bug-ridden mess that's extremely hard to crack.

Forget open-servers, you have to drive in them with a general ignorance of cheating. Just enjoy the racing when you get it (and aren't knocked off the track by a wrecker). Leagues will always have less cheating because they have the option to implement independent systems that are hard to crack (either technically or from an effort/reward point of view) and the drivers involved tend to have some semblance of a reputation to protect.

Online competitions offering prizes? You can never, ever, ever (ever) be sure there's no cheating. If your vision is a simulation based motorsport category then I'd suggest the only option is controlled hardware and software at a single, controlled location.

But hey, if people want to run those sorts of things good luck to them - probably helps keep the hackers busy and away from our leagues for a bit longer...

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Agreed Lazza, many times we have discussed putting prize money for championships in our league but its allways the same, we dont do it because it probably will attract cheaters.

About cheat prevention, sure it will get cracked but i think there are two types of cheaters, casual and hardcore. and with a sufficient anti cheat system you could hopefully rule out the casual cheaters (using the obvious hacks) in any given league.
    I doubt anything can be done vs hardcore cheaters.

19. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It's a point: hardcore cheaters will not stay in leagues for long time. Because they have fun by crack protections, not by playing hardcore sim.

20. tjg_marantz

tjg_marantz Registered

Didn't we have this debate already?

1. Don't waste time with anti-cheat measures as they will be broken within days.
    or
    2. If you run a league with cheaters, you're in the wrong league.
    or
    3. That's stupid to say am I in the wrong league.
    or
    4. Well we should at least and stop cheating.

Then you go back to point 1. and you work your way down the list.