Improving rF2 force feedback?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cosimo, Nov 7, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Oh yeah. Saying 'homie' was cool if you were living in the American urban ghettos in the early 90's. :D

Not taking a swing at you man. Just like Jamie said. :)

2. speed1

speed1 Banned

Ok good to know, maybe i'm stuck at the early 90's. :p

3. TechAde

TechAde Registered

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Lol those were the days. :)

5. speed1

speed1 Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  6. speed1

speed1 Banned

Finally i could find some time to drive the skippy national and you wan't really know what i think about that car, but to stay on topic about the steering feeling, the result of the driving emotion is that it is one of those better feeling cars in rf2 with the T500RS but there is also nothing like a slip angle to feel, a lot of alignment forces, but less load distribution and lateral acc feeling, and very little brake forces on the steering.

Than i had an idea, if that could be the alignment forces that are to dominant here and kill all the dynamic and feeling in the steering wheel, and jumped in the cockpit of the EVE F3, because this car allows to reduce the caster to zero, and the result is exactly what i tought, alignment forces are the ones eliminating the details, but this setup also shows the lack of lateral acc and weight distribution feeling on the steering, even if the result is 1000 times better as with high caster values. Of course it is not the optimal value to have the caster at zero or the final setup, but good for this test.

The tires may are not the best choice to rate the quality of the tire and ffb physic in detail but it gives me and idea, not at least because i guess they are very close to street tires letting me feel more at home. The overall feeling with this test was already very impressive, apart from the mentioned things above where i think it is somewhat weak in, i also miss the depth in steer bump feeling this cars had before some builds ago ( i think 860 ), but i could feel something like a slip angle, and how the grip is increasing and decreasing under load, as well as the brakes lock the steering before the tires start to slip. The steering dynamic was also very good with the T500RS, if not the best in this sim. How detailed the car reacts on bumps even under unequal load and transmits this to the steering is great, but it anway don't does this on straight drive, as if the vertical offset does not move the steering arms anymore, and also the response to rutting or inequalities or how it calls is almost dead. This was better builds ago, otherwise i would say it is one of the best cars in rf2, the gfx are cool, the cockpit emotion is great, and has the best overall driving emotion for me so far.

My conclusion is that this car don't needs much work to be perfect on the steering wheel, how realistic it is i don't know, never driven such a thing, but it is very believable to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  7. Domi

Domi Registered

8. Comante

Comante Registered

I've given a try to these new ideas about FFB settings, and I tried F3 on mores, and then skippy at Limerock, because for some reason the first try gave me the impression that a lot was missing. On the other hand Skippy at Limerock is simply gorgeous, the FFB is constantly telling something. So I fear that a lot of what we feel depend on track and car chosen. I think Skippy is one of the best car for these tweakings.

9. speed1

speed1 Banned

Did you tryed to play with the caster on the F3. The skippy is not optimal for that test but the next car which works quite well is the Nissan GT R, even when the caster can't go as low as with the F3 the ffb quality changes with it's lowest possible level. From now i'll start with the lowest level and balance the ffb in combination with the caster. It has the greatest impact and makes a big difference on the ffb. I already have two cars working this way for me quite well and i even didn't changed something on the steering torque sensitivity, just as ever damping and spring effects off.