[REL] Gingerman Raceway by James Mabe On Sale Now!

Discussion in 'Locations' started by cyruscloud, Nov 5, 2014.

1. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

I would much appreciate that, probably going to be spending most of the day relaxing myself on the holiday but I will be checking in so just drop your message here anytime.

On another note, started a facebook page for my little upstart business, would appreciate any sharing you would like to partake in to get the word out. https://www.facebook.com/JMVirtualTracks

2. Justy

Justy Registered

Righty, gave this a go tonight. I did a fair bit of switching between the original Joesville feedback and the feedback with your new FFB settings to begin with, just to get an idea on what changes I was feeling. Then I started switching between Gingerbread Man Raceway and the modified Joesville, using the Skip Barber as my test car. For me these changes would be absolutely fine to go with. It still feels very much like a tired old track surface, plenty of bumps and rattles going on, particularly in the corners. In fact the feel is very similar to what's already going on at Gingerbread Man, but, my wheel does not sound like it's trying to self destruct; like it does at Gingerbread Man currently and it does not detract from feeling what the car is doing either.

I tested the FFB both on the banked turns and the apron at Joesville, to make sure that the additional load exerted on the car in the banked turns, did not skew my results. All in all I think this would be a good enough compromise for sure. My FFB multi was set at 0.60 in the rTrainer thingy and "filter samples" setting to 0. Which I assume would be close enough to the settings I use in the Skip Barber. (Multi = 0.60 and smoothing = 0)

If I can figure out how to put other cars and tracks into dev mode, I could do a proper direct comparison between a modified Gingerbread Man and the current version. Just to be doubly sure. Ooh almost forgot, the wheel I'm using is a T500.

Anyway, I hope this helps you and I look forward to seeing the updated track, sometime in the future. Enjoy your holiday. :cool:

P.S. I hope some of the others, who reported this problem, will help out and test these new settings out too. It's really not that difficult, to do what cyruscloud is asking, not really any different to editing your plr.... sorry json files. ;) It's all well and good me saying things feel okay now, for me, on my wheel, but that won't necessarily mean everyone else is going to be happy.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Try FFB Multiplier of 1.0, since that's what 99% of people should be able to use.

4. Justy

Justy Registered

I did try it at 1.0 to begin with (read, I forgot to adjust it), but didn't pay too much attention to it. Obviously the ffb was stronger, smaller bumps amplified and so on. But I can't say I noticed the awful noise my wheel makes, at Gingerbread Man, in anything other than the street cars, or noticed a lack of feel with the car. I'll give it another go at 1.0, to test it properly, tomorrow night. Ordinarily I would leave it alone, but earlier ISI cars cause my ffb to clip at 1.0, it is only since the Karts that I have been able to leave the ffb multi alone.

Wandering off topic slightly, but I guess this raises the question, do you base your ffb settings off a wheel which is properly setup to avoid clipping? Or off the default 1.0? What about smoothing? Not forgetting, of course, that different wheels require different settings, to get the best out of them.

What would be really nice is if ISI could implement something into the "detect" controller option in the settings, whereby the sim automatically selects a known good default for a particular wheel (if that's possible), or the ability to save controller configs per car, similar to what iRacing does.

Anyway sorry for OT, I will have another play around tomorrow night.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014
  5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Leave every car at 1.0 in rF2 (such a pain to adjust them all individually) and just drop your Windows control panel setting down a wee bit if you are getting too much clipping. Report to ISI so they can try to do what you suggest--implement a setting that works properly at 1.0 for all major wheels. If they fix it, return control panel back to 100% ;)

6. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

How are you getting the road to look so Dark in those shots?
    Even if I set the time to early morning or evening it looks so much brighter and washed out on mine (even without the delightful "cockpit" washout effect).

Are you using a custom HDR profile or something?

Cheers.

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Update time!

And what a sweet, sweet update it is. Wow.
    Everything looks so much better. Corner workers bring such life also.
    Trees are gorgeous, and most of my excessive wheel chatter is gone.

Thank you!

To all of you who haven't purchased this track...
    What on earth are you waiting for?? :)

It's easily amongst the best 3rd party tracks for rF2 at the moment. :)

8. Emery

Emery Registered

Since you asked... it is the track's fault, not Jame's fault. Gingerman is a track I'd be interested in for free, but it's not interesting enough for me to pay. It's on the wrong coast for me to personally race, so I'm not curious from a potential real-life driver point of view. It's newer, so there's not a historical aspect to draw me in. It's not on a major race series schedule, so I don't "need" it to complete a race series.

In this regard it is no different than Poznan. Poznan is a wonderful track, but if it weren't free, how many of us would buy it?

Afterthought: Include Gingerman in a bundle of more desireable tracks and I'll buy.

9. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

No, nothing special. Would be interesting to see some other people's screenshots to see how others are seeing the track.

10. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Sorry about that, I chose the track because I wanted to this business with something more manageable and I had a lot more people in my thread tell me they were interested in club circuits that big tracks that have been featured in sim after sim. Speaking of, one of the difficulties with trying this with the well known circuits is get licensing is basically a no go so it would have to be unofficial and further free modders are constantly going for conversions and such on those tracks so my track would have to basically compete with conversions of 100,000 dollar production tracks which would make it so my track would have to significantly better so stand a chance of selling. I will though try to aim at bigger popular tracks that don't get featured in sims as much.

A few of the ones on my current list are Barber Motorsport Park, Oran Park and VIR, and lesser known Autobahn Country Club.

When I asked about classic tracks I didn't get as much positive response though I am still open to the idea. Also keep in mind as I mentioned, this isn't just purchasing this track, current supporters are seeing to future of this entire project, in other words if things don't pan out well early I won't be able to keep doing it so there won't be other tracks. I really need peoples help now to ensure I can keep this going.

11. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

Perfect!perfect!...Feel's level! and it's not a small compliment from me... keep going!

My wish for your next track : Brands Hatch...it would be a dream for me!

12. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

I want to show some British love but so far I'm having trouble getting hard data on tracks so I have been aiming at what I think I have enough information to make accurate. Oulton Park is on my list but I need data before I can even start as it is a very complex surface. Brands Hatch has been featured in a lot of sims, so it wouldn't necessarily be difficult to build still could stand some hard data for it too even though there are plenty of reference tracks out there.

13. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

14. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

I very much doubt that you will get licensing from any Motorsport vision track (Brands, Snetterton, Oulton or Cadwell) pretty sure ISI tried but the money talked about was too much.

You might need to look at some lesser known tracks such as Pembrey, Anglesey or Castle Combe though here too you will struggle for good data

15. sg333

sg333 Registered

Barber and VIR would be an awesome couple of tracks to have. I wouldnt care about licensing much at all, just to have them to drive would be great

edit: Update is much appreciated, glad to see you've taken on board feedback

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It is, for sure, Feels level of quality. You have to keep going man, and people need to support this as much as possible. The time of free tracks, I feel, is coming to an end. And with the amount of work required that's only fair. I have absolutely no problem with paying for quality work.

Your track is my new favorite. I want to experience as many tracks as I can, the more obscure and unknown the better. :)

17. Emery

Emery Registered

Yup, any of those would be fine! :)

Club tracks that have the cachet missing from Gingerman: Nelson Ledges, Blackhawk Farms, Brainerd, Calabogie, Willow Springs, Thunderhill...

18. Emery

Emery Registered

Small note for Gingerman improvement: in Wajdi's video, you can see clipping planes chopping off distant trees in the trackside camera.

19. sg333

sg333 Registered

The track looks so much more alive with the trees and marshals now; much more realistic and natural.

No noticable surface feel difference on my CSW from v1.0, so havent lost anything in that respect

Small issue I'm having with this version though; the grass seems much more blurry than in the last version of it. I'll do some tweaking with AA and stuff and see can I dial that out, but is anyone else noticing that?

20. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

14kb/s download speed from the emailed link, is that right ?