[REL] Gingerman Raceway by James Mabe On Sale Now!

Discussion in 'Locations' started by cyruscloud, Nov 5, 2014.

1. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Noted, I will admit even though I have created over 15 tracks in my time I have only created cams 2 or 3 times in total so I still have a lot to learn about the editor, cam file and such to get better cams and eliminating the clipping and such or really just spending more time on the cams.

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I would just like to counter your comment by saying almost the complete opposite.

I will pay a modest amount for ANY real-world track that has been accurately and lovingly modelled. If the track was good enough to last in the real world for more than a few years, it likely has some merits. I may not know what they are, but I'll have fun finding out when I try it, just as I do with a real-life track.

Poznan is the best example of a track I had never heard of, but would gladly pay for after driving on it. With free mods, I can just try every one. With a pay mod, if I want to be cautious I just have to wait for a few reviews. Not a big sacrifice.

Poznan is also a great example of a track I would pay for simply based on the reputation of the modder. feels3 is at the highest level and has such exacting standards that not surprisingly the track passed all of my tests. The fact that some people are even mentioning feels3 in this thread is a great credit to James. I am sure he is hoping to someday reach the point where he will have a reputation such that people will want his next track regardless of whether they have heard of it.

Modding (good quality) tracks in rF2 is obviously extremely difficult--that's why we have so few. It makes total sense to me that James would want to start with a simpler track to get a handle on things before tackling a bigger project.

None of this matters to you and I personally have no concern whether you buy this track or any other. I just felt the need to comment, as you did, in an attempt to give some useful feedback to the vendor.

My feedback is: keep going! You are obviously on the right track (pun intended) and if you can keep growing your skills, you will have a decent fan following soon enough. Do tracks that you know you can accomplish to the highest quality by release time. Please don't tackle a big or complex track just because it's popular and then not be able to "finish" it properly. That will damage your reputation much more than not doing a popular track at all. Keep listening to and responding to reasonable user feedback and you will be assured of success. Success doesn't equal riches necessarily, but I have no problem with you trying to earn a few dollars for your efforts. It is no less noble than showcasing your talents in a dramatic manner for free and then getting snapped-up by a big developer and vacating the scene altogether (which is the motivation for most people with talent who are not just pure hobbyists).

3. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

You mind if I share your video on my facebook page, would be nice for people to be able to see the track in action.

4. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I
    Sure you can mate.

5. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Great work cyruscloud, many thanks :cool:

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Here is my review:

Great little club circuit with an interesting layout that's lots of fun in an appropriate low to medium power car.

AI are pretty good! Graphics are more than adequate overall and it looks natural and authentic for where the track really is--in the "middle of nowhere" in rural Michigan.

The road surface feels like a low budget club circuit that has seen a few too many Michigan winters without being repaved. I am OK with that because it may be authentic. But I have two options:

1) If the track really is that rough, then make sure the tire wear is correspondingly high for such an abrasive surface.

2) Tone the bumps down a bit more, because even on a CSW they are just a teeny bit too pronounced. Again, if the track is supposed to be as rough as any real life circuit would get and have people still willing to track their cars on it, OK. If it's not supposed to be quite that rough, then the surface modelling still needs a touch-up to produce optimal FFB.

The one and only glaring issue for me is the z-fighting (and associated jaggies) that shows up from a distance (when you are on the far side of the track). The main blue pit building is the prime offender, but there are a couple of other textures in the pit area that flash and shimmer, too. It is really bad. I am surprised no one has mentioned this already, or, maybe I have some settings that are weird if I am the only one who gets this?

Overall, well worth the purchase price.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
  7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The AI is a bit too aggressive when it goes to defend, especially on the back straight leading to the last corner on the long layout. I pull out alongside to make a move and when I'm alongside the AI only then chooses to block me, actually pushing me straight off the road. This might need some looking in to. :)

8. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Thanks for the review, I will have to let someone who has actually driven the track in real life let me know the feel the actual track has but I am still surprised that the bumpiness feels over pronounced still considering it is set pretty subtle as it is now. Really the problem comes down to it being something I can't test, I basically need to get a hold of a few people who would be willing to do force feedback test for me with their different wheels, either that or set the terrain to completely smooth and let the modeled bumps be all you feel. The z-fighting, I get that some; mostly with the main building from a distance it seems to vary by camera though and that is basically all that flickers for me, I also get it on some other tracks too though. Also usually varying by camera or car. This use to be a big problem on RF1 with certain car cameras near cull setting and it would be so bad that nearly any object overlapping closely would flicker. I'm not sure what is causing it but I do know it doesn't flicker at all in the viewer so it is definitely camera related.

9. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

My first time creating an RF2 aiw, I just went by the guide given. I'm not sure what controls how often the ai goes for the blocking line, this stuff didn't exist in RF1. I will try to get better at it if there is anything I can do to improve it.

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

You have done a stellar job with the AIW mate. For a first time try this is magnificent. The AI just needs to learn that it can't use the bit of road I am on, when I try to overtake. :)

11. matf1

matf1 Registered

Just my opinion on bumps. G27, feels perfect. Only tested eve f3 so far though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

12. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, I think the bumps are fine with this version. G25 user. It could be argued that the cars that are going to suit the track are not massive high HP, high downforce monsters, so if it feels real bumpy and stiff going over the bumps, it almost seems right. I'm thinking things like the Clio, Skippy, Miata, street cars, etc seem to fit well.

Had a blast with the Skippys, doing heaps of short sprint races.
    The AI were quite "human" at times, which was quite fun to drive against. A couple of times I saw the guy behind start creeping up down the straight and I'd see him move to the inside on the approach. So I decided to stick it out wide and brake early. He dove in and braked way late then pushed deep into the corner while I cut back across. Real great stuff, good job

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I really like the bumps too. The Skip still feels a bit too 'chattering' for me on this track though, although I suspect I may run the ffb multiplier a bit too high. I get the same at Mores. That car really stands out by making my wheel go slightly crazy on both of those tracks. Strange though as I have no clipping...

14. matf1

matf1 Registered

Soften bumps and balance rebound dampers. If it is the same as the dip at eau rouge.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Track is definitely for street cars and milder sports cars that still have suspension and tires with some give in them! The Megane is a good example of something approaching exotic enough that you get a lot of bump feedback. Haven't tried the 60's open wheelers, but I would expect they would be fine with those old tall bias ply tires.

Others are not distracted by or don't have the severe flickering and jaggies on the blue pit building at a distance? I am picky about these things, but am also thinking they may be worse on my system due to some inadvertent tweaking I have done somewhere along the line!

16. sg333

sg333 Registered

I mentioned this earlier in the thread; I do find it a little annoying TBH

17. jrcn50

jrcn50 Registered

With a T500Rs, I like the bumps too and I find that the texture of the road surface is fine.
    For me, nothing to change!

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Hopefully it can be fixed. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have some weird graphics that were worse than others. It screams "digital" and "fake" in an environment that otherwise is reasonably convincing.

19. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Hi,
    I've noticed a bug : I had an excessive speed penalty then I was (very) close to tyre wall in last corner.
    Screenshot :
    [​IMG]

20. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Just tried it for the first time with the 240Z, using a DFGT wheel, FFB seemed fine to me (using in-sim default setting of 1.0 multiplier and 9) . I did notice the clipping of distant trees during replay. I'm satisfied pretty much with what I paid for it. I did just get the track downloaded today. I'm sure there is more tweaking to be done, but overall it is enjoyable.

Mydriaz, could be you just got too close to pit road and worried the officials. (some of them are worry-warts)