[REL] Gingerman Raceway by James Mabe On Sale Now!

Discussion in 'Locations' started by cyruscloud, Nov 5, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Beautiful explanation. Great way to set the record straight. :)

2. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Maybe i'm wrong, but even if all these small cracks would be modeled in 3D ......... having a FFB output at 400Hz and driving with 200km/h or 120mi/h, you just wouldn't feel these small road details, i guess.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Wgeuze, no offense taken I'm glad for all the info you provided. If I'm wrong or misunderstanding or whatever then I like to be told so and corrected so thanks for that.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Wgeuze, no offense taken I'm glad for all the info you provided. If I'm wrong or misunderstanding or whatever then I like to be told so and corrected so thanks for that.
    How could you model sawtooth curbs, and just curbs in general if individual polygons of objects are no less than 50-75 cm?
    But sawtooth curbs have teeth that are maybe 5 cm high and 2 or 3 cm wide,0. We can have cars with 50k, or 100k+ polygons and round curves that look nice and round (can't see the edges of polygons, look at the ISI NSX, nice and smooth) but we can't do that for the track surface??...Why is the track surface different than any other object?, I mean we can have 50,000, and 100,000 polygon cars, we can render fingers, a thin antenna, individual spokes of the car's wheels, even the individual lines/mesh of a grill, but we can't render 5 cm bumps and dents (cracks) on/in the ground?...Why is it any different? I'm clearly not understanding...

P.S. perhaps this should be moved to a new thread, it's getting off topic and not specifically about this particular track-mod.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  5. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Oh boy, yes, I suggest making a topic or even better, send me a PM and I will be happy to explain all of that stuff without totally derailing this guys' topic :)

6. call-911

call-911 Registered

With the recent extension they did to the track in real life (the extra loop has only been around for a few years), it has made the track a lot more fun to race on. Believe it or not, the lack of scenery and landscaping is pretty accurate in real life as well. GingerMan is known for having a lot of runoff area and not having a whole lot of things to hit. It makes for a great track to practice racing in the rain. :)

7. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

I can't believe this track is getting purchases. Leave it to URD. What a piece of turd. Given the top quality free tracks that have been released by others, this is laughable.

8. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Really!?! I haven't seen your latest work (painting, car or track project or other.)

James has been making tracks for years. I'm sure you have most of his tracks all ready installed in other games. I like for him to continue his work, in which I'm more than willing to shell out a few bucks for this track and other tracks that he plans on doing. It is a lot of work to do any modding. Gingerman, if you haven't looked at any videos, there isn't much there and what James has its pretty spot on.

It's one thing to offer some constructive criticism, it's another thing to just be down right negative and destructive, in which your post is.

And when you said in another thread "The biggest thing I hate in sim racing are these "conversions."" This one isn't a conversion, and you don't have to offer your support if you don't like it, but to call it a "turd" and "laughable" isn't going to get you any respect points. As your mother said "If you can't say nothing nice, don't say anything at all". James may be one of the few that isn't doing any conversions, so for that you should at least treat his work with a little bit of respect. As I said, if you don't like it, you don't have to support it, but you at least have to respect the work being done.

Rant off

Keep up the good work James, can't wait to see the updates and future projects.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Maybe he is seeing this with prejudice due to the sparse landscape and absence of marshals and other people.

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Ridiculous way of expressing yourself, tbh. Play nice or play somewhere else. Constructive criticism or nothing at all. Try again mate. :rolleyes:

Edit: now that I look at that post again I realized that you must be trolling. I can't find any other good explanation for that kind of post. Good try mate, I totally fell for it. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
  11. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

If someone told me to put in this much work for just enough to buy a coffee at McDonalds, I'd tell them where to go.

Get some perspective; how much do you make in your job? I bet he is making a pittance Vs hours consumed creating this circuit.

As an aside, I think its top quality and a bargain at less than £3

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1

Track has already received good reviews from those who actually paid for it. A few small issues are being worked on. Author probably started with a simpler track on purpose. Author is committed to learning and improving. Your attitude, MapleHamwich, is the only turd-like thing in this thread.

13. Emery

Emery Registered

Yes, it's called the TDF file. James placed a few items in there as he already explained.

14. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Couple items of good news, first I have been given permission to use the animated track marshals, second I figured out the trick to obtain visuals with the trees throughout the day so expect a big improvement there, so those along with an adjustment on the tdf to hopefully take out the chattering in some wheels force feedback should be available in an interim update I intend to have soon. It's not the full on update I had planned for later down the road but should at least take care of some of the number on concerns with the track and improve the experience quite a bit.

15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Nice news and keep it going....thanks

16. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Brilliant. I'm glad they gave you permission to use the marshalls.

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

That's such good news man! Thank you for putting so much effort into this. :)

18. Justy

Justy Registered

Excellent! Many thanks cyruscloud. :cool:

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

19. sg333

sg333 Registered

Great news! :)

20. call-911

call-911 Registered

Good news indeed! James, how will the upgrade downloads be handled for those who purchased the track as a guest without registering on the site?