FOV Calculator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

The internet provides..

[​IMG]

Just workout how your system matches

17° vertical means 27.2° horizontal on just your center monitor..

The far inside of the tires is 34° so it SHOULD be just on the second and third monitor and it isn't.. So you are correct in assuming something is wrong.

Go in-game and take a screenshot from directly above the F1 you are using. We can do this again off of that so we know we aren't crazy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
  2. MrPix

MrPix Registered

So I'm not far off then with my current setup :)

3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Thanks Zeos, appreciate that image :) And thanks to everyone else as well. I have finally settled on 25 degrees vertical FOV with 3.5 for seat angle. My seat is all the way back and down. This puts the inside wall of the tire about right distance wise according to that image. Guess that is as close as I am going to get, hehe.

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

That won't help, if there are two different models beeing used. One for external and one for the cockpit view. ISI's F3 has mirrors located in different places in both models so in this case it might not be that strange to have the same with wheels.
    Also, his F1 is the older model, which I think had front wheels more towards the cockpit - not that far in front like modern F1 has.

5. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

If that is the case it is still possible with the CAM keys to move the camera around from THAT view and model.

Just tell me which F1 mod it is and I will do all the legwork. I want to know if I have to start screaming at mod makers now.

6. argo0

argo0 Registered

Keep up the good work Zeo.

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

This is true, I used the F1 from the Senna 88 mod rather than the ISI model as that is what I am trying to drive at the moment. After doing a bit of research trying to find specific information on wheelbase of the 2011 vs the 1988 F1 cars, I came away with nothing. However I did find a couple of decent images from the sides of both that shows a large difference in size between the 2 cars. With that in mind, perhaps it isn't unreasonable to have the tires appear near the outside of my outside monitors on the Senna 88 mod. I will have a look at the ISI car and setup the FOV for that and see what happens with the Senna 88 car view.

Here is the comparison of the 2 F1 cars: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52935236/88_11_comparison.png
    Notice the size of the helmets in each picture as well as the vision height. The earlier F1 definitely sat more upright than the -11 car.

EDIT: I setup the FOV with the angles that were supplied by Zeos, and to my suprise, I ended up with 17 degrees vertical FOV to have the wheels in the right positions. The Senna mod ended up with it's wheels at the outside edges of my outside monitors at this setting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
  8. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I don't even need to do math.. Look how close/ far apart the wheels are.

[​IMG]

The 17° is correct

EDIT: 1992 had the best default sim FOV

[​IMG]

EDIT2!!!

We all have it wrong.. THIS GUY is rockin' the right FOV.. Sold this rig for $15,000... I could have adjusted it and got him $15,050.. What is wrong with these people.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

:eek: :eek: :eek: There are 2 different models that can be used for cockpit view vs external view?????? How is there supposed to be any consistency between proportions of things and when jumping from car to car if this is actually true??? People can be using the same FOV but having a TOTALLY different view jumping from car to car, even a model with the same proportions as the previous car if this is true (other than the world FOV staying the same). I really hope this isnt true, and if it is it really needs to be fixed/removed as soon as possible.

Im pretty shocked.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

BEAUTIFUL :) much straighter and head on looking. Why dont games use this as stock, or ATLEAST have a setting to adjust it in game like we do for forward, back, up, down.

In terms of height your view needs to be lower though. See in real life you cant see the ground so close to you, as you can in your view, forward and to the sides, so you are too high in the "game world" and therefore can see from a too high view point in the "game world", giving you better/more visibility.

Compare your view, to the limited (in terms of height) view of the pic I originally posted (although that one is a little too low), or atleast to the video of the red F3.5, that is more in the direction of how its supposed to be. Although I dont think the F3.5 had the angle corrected like yours, which you did a great job on by the way :)

11. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Thanks for your advice, but I do have an observation that counter argues your findings a little.

This is the ISI Formula Masters car I am using and I use TIR to look sideways to help me adjust the seat height. If you look at the height of the head in the picture given by gearjammer below, you will see that the eyelevel is about level with the raised sidewall of the cockpit:
    [​IMG]

This is pretty close to the eyelevel I have set the seat height to to be fair, but I'm not saying you're wrong, just that my interpretation of what I find right is maybe different as I base it not only on what I believe to be right, but what feels comfortable to me.

I was at the Williams F1 Factory Museum recently on a work event and was lucky enough to be able to sit in the 2008 model (and a few older models) and although the seat wasn't custom fit for me at 6 feet tall and a hefty 15stone (and a bit), the bottom of my mouth was about level with the top of the cockpit moulding, not my eyes... and whilst my view was extremely limited, it wasn't so low that I could not see infront or left/right of me within a few feet.

I'm comfortable with the seat height as shown in my previous post illustration in the ISI Formula Masters now ZP has enlightened me with the wonders of Seat Pitch ( ="4.0000") and as I don't have a sim rig and just use an office chair/table.... I'm not that fastidious about super accurate detail, but do want it as close as I can tolerate.

Thanks again for your input.

12. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

You don't need a high-poly cockpit when looking at a vehicle from outside and vice versa - you don't need car body on your cockpit model, when using the cockpit cam. Bear in mind, it is only possibility and no one force you to use two different models... but that's how it used to be in rF 2 due to performance reasons.
    In rF 2, things have changed in that matter so you can sleep well now ;-)

And don't worry about proportions etc. when utilizing two different models. The cockpit etc. won't be different between such two models. As I said, sometimes you might see some changes to some car parts, like mirror models moved a bit, but that is up to the modder.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ohh if its just texture parts and things like that thats fine. I thought you meant the actual size and proportions of the cockpit, because I swear 2 different F1 mods that look exactly the same in external view always look different in regards to cockpit view, some look like I am using a higher fov and are more stretched, some the wheels appear wider out and close to the edge of your screen, etc. Even though they look identical in external view and are the same car (Just different mod makers). Maybe its all in my head.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

No problem, to each his own. Although the top of your wheel is BARLEY visible in your view, where as Nico Rosberg described the top of the wheel with the rev lights being juuust under his visions verticle centre, where in yours it is at the very bottom. I know in real life our verticle views stretch out more top and bottom then in game (and even more so when using a low FOV) but how far it stretches outwards up and down in real life does not (or should not) be affected the centre point.

Also, when seated in the car you cant see the ground to the sides and in front of you as close as you can in your view. I can promise you the visibility is not as high and comfortable as yours in real life and MUCH closer to that ref F3.5 video I posted, which was VERY impressive the first time I saw it.

I have sat in a Ferrari F1 car and an Indy car, the cars were part of some Bridgestone marketing thing so they brought them to our track for a day (I worked as a mechanic at a racing school for a year). The cars OBVIOUSLY had no gearbox, engine, electronics etc etc etc in them of course not, but other than having no internals they were actually the real deal and had seats in them (although seats for much wider people than me lol), on top of that I am also around average race driver height (5 ft 8 inches, 5 ft 9 on a good day lol). On top of that, I have been in a F1600, 2 different model F2000's, an open cockpit prototype, and I also got to sit in my friend's (more of an aquiantance, he is my good friend's good friend) Star Mazda car a few years back, and honestly the following views are MUCH more to how you see things when you sit inside a real car. (Again im talking height, not forward/back distance or FOV).

Your view is definetely much more realistic with regards to being straighter, head on forward looking, (horizon level as some call it)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In that very last pic, just imagine the centre point of that camera is your eye vision centre point. Now in your mind raise the angle so its straighter more head on looking to the horizon. Then adjust the angle and centre the cam hroizontally, because the camera is pointing to the left and isnt centred horizontally.... Now do you see what I mean? You can still move it up and down vertically but the bottom 40% of your view should be cockpit stuff, or at least the bottom third or the very very least the bottom 25%.

When you turn the steering wheel and have one of your hands at 12, your knuckles should then be covering half of your face (actually a little less but it should definetely be in your vision close to the centre vertically, or again at least in the 25%-33% range of your monitor's lower half). On the view you have, your knuckles would barley even come into view. Maybe if you put your seat low in real life your real knuckles will, but that isnt the point, because that has no effect on how you view the "game world".

The game has a steering wheel, hands, cockpit, tires, ground surface, sky etc etc that are all in proportion to eachother, so it has nothing to do with how you sit in real life, if you cant get that perfect seating position in real life thats fine, I mean most people dont. Same with me, my monitor is way higher than my wheel and head because of my stupid desk that I need to change lol, but thats my limitation of my real life setup and shouldnt affect my true view of the game and its world. It's the view of the world of the game you are playing that has to be real, and your eye point puts your eyes too high, therefore you can see higher than normal, you can see off to the sides and see the ground much closer to you than you should etc etc

By the way, your view is still wayyyyyy better than most, I just want to make it a little harder for you by decreasing your outside of the cockpit visibility as it is in real life, : ) , but your view is honestly still awesome brotha, and completely playable and super immersive : ).

By the way im no iRacing fanboy lol just some quick shots I found.

15. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I agree with what you are saying to a degree, but my seat fwd/backward view that is on screen is only part of it. I have my wheel in front of my screens and the whole wheel is in my face :) which is why I have adjusted the seat to see mostly over the wheel and also have the wheel turned off in the options as it is in front of the monitor rather than displayed on it, but my viewpoint is still correct in my mind and I'm comfortable. I guess, in my minds eye, the cockpit IS below my Monitor if that makes sense, so I don't need to see it on screen.

I'll have to tidy up my environment and take a picture of how it looks from my actual eyepoint... and then you will see where I am coming from and it will make sense ... hopefully. I also use multiview, so these screen shots (taken without Multiview on) are not as accurate as what I am seeing perspective wise.

As I said, I do appreciate your input a lot as I do all on this thread, but my comfort with the setup and the view is my priority.... over and above slight differences to reality... although I do want it close, just maybe not spot on..... if had the salary of those in F1... I'd accept the discomfort of their lack of view too :)

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

no problem brotha, happy racing, hope to see you online one day :)

17. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Likewise.... just had to see where my virtual wheel/hands are though.... you got me thinking.... so here it is.... my real wheel lines up with the one on screen BTW. (seat pitch = "4.0000" which is what I have settled on.)
    [​IMG]

My virtual knuckles are exactly where you say they should be :)

Maybe if I had my monitors a fraction lower, I would set my viewpoint so that I could see more of the bottom of the cockpit.... I really do need to take a photograph.... but my room is in such a state.... will tidy it up this evening and take a photo.

18. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Actually. if you have your real hands/wheel over the on screen one.. Why is your virtual wheel on at all? That is another pet peeve of mine. Every one of us has a wheel and REAL ARMS right outside our peripheral. Why are we rendering another?

For anyone wondering what the "cockpit" models look like from afar.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lm05u3hBSY&feature=player_detailpage#t=585s This should jump you to the end of the video where I looked through them.

19. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Geez ZP... take a chill pill for everyone's sake.... I put them on to demonstrate to Spinelli.... I don't use arms and wheels in game.. look at my previous screen shots, that should calm you down!

Cheers for the help as always though, just looks like you got out of bed the wrong side today and stepped on to your high horse!

I refer you to my previous post:
    lol!:D

Deep breaths now..... 1...2.....3.........4......calm :)

edit: added a quick piccy of my actual view... it's very bright here and my curtains are yellow, I also put the camera over my left eye and so it's slightly off center, I should have put it on my nose really. The camera lens does not do the view justice to be fair, but it's the best I can get quickly as the DSLR is put away... also it's a bit blurred cos I'm not stable ;)

[​IMG]

20. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

[​IMG]

Sorry, I am on automatic sometimes. When I see hands in a screenshot I get all twitchy.

I have a serious question related to this topics title.. Can anyone here code java or flash because it should be possible to actually MAKE an online FOV calculator that can do all the math based on your measurements and just hand you all the values you need.

IE use this as a template

[​IMG] and we can all work out the math to put behind the scenes.