FOV Calculator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Jos

Jos Registered

id rather put some goggles on my face, that will save some space.

mr Carmack seems to be interested creating some really good vr goggles, youtube for more info.

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

At least with VR goggles you would have more room around your wheel for things other than monitors, :) I noticed that he mentioned that there was a 90 degree horizontal FOV with that headset. I am hoping that the technology hurries up so we can be looking at horizontal FOV's of around 120 or so. Would make racing seriously intense :)

3. VLA

VLA Registered

I'm curious, based on the maths this FOV calculator people are using,

I have triple monitors 46",
    my eyes are 48" to the centre view of all 3 screens,

I would appreciate if someone would like to figure out or give us their FOV settings, for a similar setup

4. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

27.5° Vertical

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Doesnt his bezel, and the angle of his monitors and all that have to be taken into consideration aswell?

6. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Normally yes it would, but as a ballpark setting he can either go 27 or 28 depending on his preferences. The distance to the top edge and the bottom edge isn't going to vary that greatly from distance to center. If VLA wants to be 100% accurate though, then yes distance to top and bottom of screen would be required to calculate the triangle properly as well as vertical height.

If I were VLA though, I would also play with the seat angle in the .plr file and change it to somewhere between 3 and 4 to get the camera to point relatively straight ahead.

EDIT: Doing some math, you would end up with roughly 23.5" vertical on a 16:9 display at 48" diagonal screen, this would end up with roughly 49.5" from eyes to lower and upper bezel on the screen. Calculate the angle and it comes to what was posted earlier of 27.5 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
  7. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Based on some ideas from ZeosPantera, I have started to put together a FOV Calculator. It's a WIP at the moment and it will most likely evolve to giving and accepting more metrics, for example seat pitch for rF2 specifically and on to including other racing sims, simcades and games and maybe some FPS over time.

For rF2, as has said before, the number of monitors does not affect the FOV (unless you have them stacked on top of each other) as the figure used by the sim is Vertical FOV.

Please feel free to have a play and make comment, bearing in mind that is is based on mathematics and not what 'feels' right... but it will hopefullt be helpful to some.

It's temporary home : FOV Calculator

Caveat: there maybe periods where the calculator is unavailable or appears broken as it's is being worked upon at random times.

8. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Think both you and ZP may have read VLA's post incorrectly, he has 46" monitors and sits 48" away!

27.5 degrees is for 48" monitors, sitting 48" away.

9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Isn't be easier/better to make it using JS?

BTW, I found sim selector filled with rf and rf2. Is there any difference between both sims?

10. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I can't code in js.... so if you can, then please go ahead... ZP already asked for volunteers.. so why have you not stepped forward?

Ref: BTW, I found sim selector filled with rf and rf2. Is there any difference between both sims? .. the Answer is No.... it's really a place holder selection.

11. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

There's has got to be another formula for single monitor setups.

With my seat as far back as it goes, I cannot see my side mirrors in any open wheel cars using the FOV suggested by the calculator.

Sure, with 3 monitors I could look to the side to see the mirrors. Can't do that with a single monitor unless I use "look left" or "look right".

I don't see how that can be the "correct" FOV? I should be able to see my side mirrors no?

BTW, thanks for the tool :)

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I had really not time for it. But don't take it offensive. It's only an idea.

Fov is calculated same way for single and multi-monitor setups.
    But it is true that with real fov you will be probably not able to see side mirrors. You have to find some compromise. because FOV calc gives correct, it doesn't mean you should use it. But it gives idea about direction (of changes) you should chose.

For example I used 40 FOV for 26 16:10 monitor. Right now, for 3x22" 16:9 rig, I set 25 FOV. For OW I can set 20, but I would like to see right side mirror in clio or megane. So it is compromise.

13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Agree with Buddhatree.

Imho those FOV calculations are fine for a multimonitor setup, but for a single no matter the distance from your monitor, you've to set the fov to keep your mirrors (or a part of it) in your field of view...and a proper perspective to get a good distance/speed perception.

I CAN'T use a 19 FOV on a single monitor...it's like driving with just one eye open.

Sometimes we've to manage the real life theory to fit the limit of the simulation rig. Imho.

14. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Shame, I was hoping you would step forward and relieve some of the work :)... no offrense taken BTW.

15. MrPix

MrPix Registered

You should charge a few euros for your Top Gear Track when you release it... then buy 2 more monitors and GFX cards to suit... problem solved and correct FOV possible to use :)

16. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I've a 4 monitor setup sir (2 LCD, 1 CRT, 1 CRT video), but I can't use it to play the game as they are different in size an specs. I need this for my work.

But nice gag...;)

17. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

For setups like this you can use the virtual mirror in combination with look left& right

18. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Yes, but the virtual mirror ruins the immersion... for me anyway.

I mean that's the whole point: immersion. I have my HUD off. I have my monitor really close and in the right position so that I can turn off the in-game steering wheel and it matches perfectly with my real wheel.

It's like I'm sitting in a real car. Only thing missing is the "correct" FOV I guess.

19. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Well the question is, would you rather drive completely blind of have a slight idea about whats behind u ? :p
    Like everyone else I drove on a single monitor for long enough of a time and I will always prefer a "realistic" and immersive life size environment with a limited field of view in the car and a virtual mirror, than having a complete windshield on my little screen and distort eveything to make it even more difficult to drive close to other people like for instance closing rates that speed up, tracks become alot more narrow, doing 50kmh feels like you are doing 200, ...
    I'm not trying to say anything bad about the track creator because alot of work has to be put in but for instance Mid Ohio for rf2 feels like it was made & eyeballed by a person on a vertical fov of 60. The track feels about2 times as wide as it actually should be.

Another option (which I used all the time on my single screen) is a TrackIR system, which is perhaps even more realistic than a triple screen momitor :p
    I don't know if some of you have ever done a trackday or something like that, or just driven around your car with a helmet on your face. You will quikcly realize that you have a very limited field of view and you will have to physichally move your head to properly see your mirrors.

Just FYI, not trying to say you HAVE to use it. But I'm still gratefull to the person that made me see the light :p I used to drive around like a fish aswell untill I gave a normal view a chance and set my FOV correct on my (back then) 27" screen placed 40cm from my eyes, it was simply brilliant. Driving behind a car that gives a feeling that it's a real car, not a matchbox one hehe :D

20. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

TrackIR is a better option than virtual mirror. VM just drives me crazy :p

I'd rather have a slightly higher than "correct" FOV to see my mirrors than use VM. I mean we aren't talking much. I start with the "correct" FOV and move it up just enough to have mirrors.