F3 vs Skippy

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by otirc, Dec 8, 2012.

1. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

Last night I did some more testing and I made some more progress I think. One thing I changed was even if I could be in 2nd gear, I was only going down to 3rd. So, for turn 1 and 2, before I was progressing from 3rd down to 2nd in the middle but have changed to stay in 3rd gear. That took some engine brake out and seems to have helped with rotation. Biggest thing is slowing down before turn and doing more powering through turn. I'm down to about 20% trail brake to make that happen.

I still maintain the rear grip at low speed does not react as it should, as there's still no way to correct/catch a slide.

2. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

Yes, I can handle myself and I'm making adjustments. At speed I know it's just a matter of learning. As per my previous posts, it's the low speed grip that seems to be the problem. I get that I'll make mistakes in learning, but I'd like to be able to catch and correct my mistakes. So far I've only be able to reduce oversteer by staying in a higher gear. Mind you, in 2nd gear I'm only about half the RPM range. If that's the 'fix' for my issues of getting loose then that seems weird, but maybe that's just the car. Again, that's not what I'm worried about, I'm fine fixing those issues, it's the inability to catch those mistakes AT ALL. As soon as the car is more then a few degrees off, it's uncatchable. Last night I tried quick counter-snaps and that didn't seem to help either.

What car are you in to hit the 55:8-9's? Is that the National?

And I'm running the no chicanes track to match the skippy vid you guys mentioned to compare to.

Can you give me the gears you're using through each turn?

I'm using the following now:
    Turn 1=3rd
    Turn 2=3rd
    Turn 3=3rd
    Turn 4=3rd
    Turn 5=3rd
    Turn 6=4th
    Turn 7=4th

Before when I was looping I was using:
    Turn 1=3rd
    Turn 2=2nd
    Turn 3=2nd
    Turn 4=3rd
    Turn 5=3rd
    Turn 6=3rd
    Turn 7=4th

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
  3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

zim2323, check these out.

I know its hard to judge by a video, but have a look at these. These videos make the skippy look planted :). Pay attention to throttle, braking, steering, visual and audible cues etc. Try to feel the car as its being driven in the video, it might help you a bit with your technique.

I think both those videos may help you see the way :)

The videos are playing choppy on my computer when I play them from the thread, but are fine when I open them up and watch them right on the youtube site. Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
  4. Minibull

Minibull Member

I'd like to get in a server with you and have a looksy, that would be the only way to really figure out whats going on.
    Most of my Skippy driving has been in the National, and yes that is what the 55's are set using. I've only driven the regional a tiny amount around the no chicanes, my fastest is a 58:7 on default setup.
    Of course, I remember the Regional being able to break the rears loose quite a bit easier. Forgive me, but I was thinking of the Nationals when I was talking about corner grip and keeping the throttle on. Why it would be good to have a look in realtime, is that many of the things people do in other cars and get away with, they dont wash with the Skippy. I saw so many people lifting throttle when the rear broke loose, which of course made them properly loose control. The car or setup was swiftly blamed afterwards for a couple of them too.

I really can't remember with the Regional version, sorry :(
    As I said, I haven't done a heck of a lot with it in terms of laps.
    What you are doing now sounds good, but yeah. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see XD

The vids Spinelli posted are pretty damn good. I find he runs way too wide on t3 though, the left hander. He should start out wide, but then come back in across smoothly to the apex and not hit the curb.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If you're talking about the first video, ya he seems to run wide on entry and have a too late and sharp turn in, totally agree with you.

I really like the driving on the second vid, that guy is pretty good in my opinion. Also, I love videos where you can see the real life steering, shows more detail and fidelity than the in-game one, regardless if the game is recorded in live or replay mode.

These videos are driving me crazy, haven't been able to play in a while, got a new psu but having some shipping problems.

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

Because i can't find something about motion accuracy on driver car, i would like to ask straight forward if it's me or something else what cause this wrong looking steering geometry on the skip. The odd is the greater steering lock of the outer tire ( toe is 0.0 for test purpose ).

http://www.apload.de/images-i249776bt4s4r.jpg

it's the opposite of how it should be

View attachment 9737

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2013
  7. TJones

TJones Registered

Should be related to your viewpoint shown in the picture, which is behind the front axle. I mean if you set your viewpoint above the vehicle, or exactly above the front axle, i bet it would look very different. :)

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

It looks wrong to me and i hope it looks just wrong because the car feels odd. It feels exactly if the steering geometrie is doing what the image shows.

9. TJones

TJones Registered

The car isn't easy to drive, especially the regional version. But it's good to learn a clean and precise driving style, which is required to go fast.
    To learn this car it's important to go not to fast in a turn, otherwise you are in big problems, because of the heavy rear. So try to go slow in, and fast out of corners.
    On the setup side try to reduce rideheight (in rel. to default setup), and play with toe in/out.

What do you mean exactly with "feels odd"?

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

The sterring behaviour it shows is exactly how it was when the steering geometrie does what it looks like. The outer tire steering angle is greater than the inner one. With the standard steering lock of 19.4° the car oversteers extremly, or it does something but like a damaged front axle following any line and not be toe stable. Lowering this value makes it somewhat better but doesn't eliminates it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  11. TJones

TJones Registered

Yes the skippy oversteers. You have to keep in mind that weight distribution is very much on the rear axle, and tyre's at the rear are not wider than those on the front, this car must oversteer.
    So the problem is to get turn entry right, 3km/h to fast and you get off.
    I try to turn some laps at Lime Rock, maybe i can help you after that. :)

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

Thank you but i don't get rid of the feeling there is something wrong with the car. The performance the car has should be beatable with evey standard streetcar on 205 tires with a similar HP level and without specific track setup, because it even doesn't drive like a car, more a wheelbarrow, like a tricycle. For sure i've been able to adapt to it's behaviour but i haven't any further intrests to drive this car. :)

13. TJones

TJones Registered

These are the impressions i get, if i try the IRacing version of this car. :D
    I case you give the Skippy a last chance, you can try to make sure the front rideheight is higher than rear, or/and toe in on the front more to the negative.

14. speed1

speed1 Banned

It's not about drivability with some setup optimising and or adapting to it's behaviour but more it's behaviour like a crap car with a physical damage. The tires are also crap. I would never drive such a tires in real if there was any available like these one. :)

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

In general if you drive a skippy type car in real life hard/fast/bad enough to get them to the same point of grip loss as you do in the game, then they in general will act pretty damn similiar to RFactor 2's Skippys. It's just the 900 times more feedback you get through the car, the weight of the pedals, the feeling of your body slamming forward into the seat belts under heavy braking even though you actually aren't on the braking limit, the steering, the g-forces etc etc that keeps you from constantly reaching and going over those limits in real life, where as in the sim you are always driving near those limits and constantly going back and forth through them.

16. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes i know we miss many important information of perceptions Spinelli but this car can't be ok or it is really a crap car in real as well. I haven't any real experience with this car, so i can only talk about the experience with it in the sim, and i would rate it as a engineering crap. The first thing i would do in real is to change the tires to a set of something usefull from a good tire manufacturer, such as Continental, Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, Hankook, etc. ! The next was checking the steering geometrie and it's setup because it is also crap. :) The car looses grip with speeds under 50 km/h and corner radii which i drive faster with my little Mercedes A 150 even without to here the tires crying like the rf2 skippy's do or to lose controle and i have 195/65/15 Michelin on it and it isn't a race car.

If a skippy really drive like this i can only lough. :) How people should learn to controle a car in real with such a mess of car dynamics.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
  17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What FOV do you use?

18. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Eh? Skippy is a brilliant drive if you ask me.

19. speed1

speed1 Banned

To drive is nearly everything with some tires and a steering wheel on but how :)

Spinelli i'm on triple and it differs a bit between the cars from ~ 24-40.

It feels simply wrong and behaves unnatural or it is simply a crap car in real as well imho. But still than tires wouldn't behave like this ones.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
  20. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

@speed1, I've raced the real Skippy and I feel the rF2 version is an extremely accurate re-creation. As for it being a mess of vehicle dynamics, most racing drivers I met when I was participating in it thought it was fantastically fun because of how well balanced it is. I even met a few guys racing in professional series who still felt like the Skippy was more fun than the higher-powered downforce cars they were racing at the time. But it's because of this very neutral balance in every cornering phase that it demands a lot from a driver who's trying to extract the maximum from it.