F3 vs Skippy

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by otirc, Dec 8, 2012.

1. JGraf

JGraf Registered

2. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

That depends on whether you are measuring 'throttle input' with the Rev counter or the fuelling going to the engine. The engine should redline at less than full pedal travel. The fuelling needed for acceleration is way more than would max the revs.

If you sit in a skippy in neutral and floor it, it redlines, the revs don't drop until the pedal is released about half way. To me this is normal.

3. Minibull

Minibull Member

I've always found a linear response to be fine. Seems correct to me in most games as compared to real racing cars like in the vids I posted. Pretty sure the relationship between the pedal and throttle bodies is linear. From there it is up to the actual car as to how it behaves on partial throttle.

As soon as Ingall presses the pedal on exit, you can hear the car pickup and hold steady, and then from there he just gives it a chunk more til the final bit of travel where it is floored.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Who is talking about having 1 inch of travel? I said I have the T500 pedals, and that from memory it felt like a similar amount of travel, which is more than 1 inch, but you're ignoring that, and talking about 1 inch, which you seem to have pulled out of thin air...

I'm close to what they're doing in terms of travel and engine power. I would ask what you're doing differently?

Engine ramp up has as much to do with gear selection, and even whether the car is having to pull itself up a hill, or travelling down one, as pedal travel. I hope you are aware of that. Power isn't simplistically tied to speed and the % of throttle input, there are some physics involved......... You're sort of contradicting yourself, and it seems making stuff up that wasn't said about pedal travel...

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I doubt most tracks the V8s run on ever even used 100% throttle for any large portion of the lap, similar to a NASCAR car on the roadcourses, they seem to use far less power for most of the laps.

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

With new engine model, there is throttle mapping which changes things a bit, one can set car to have more or less response to throttle for given rpm.

For example Nissan had old engine model, when I converted it to new engine model it had nicer throttle response, certainly with correct numbers, instead of clio throttle response numbers, it might be again bit different, but that is something that can change things too.

With skippy half throttle at low rpm and high rpm result bit different things, it might open throttle almost fully open or less than 50% open.

So it varies a bit how much throttle one gives depending from rpm and I think that is one good improvement.

With my G25 pedals, I find quite often that I use no less than 50% throttle, no matter how little I try to use, it is just that pedal angle and weak spring together with engine sound lacking bit of that change with load, which makes me push more throttle than needed.

In real car one can sense smallest input of throttle, but with sim that is not so easy, even from video it is difficult to hear all fine differences in engine sound, but it changes quite a bit when load changes. Well, street cars does, full grown race car, don't know, I would guess yes, but does loud sound cause it not to be heard. One still could probably feel it, vibration frequency changes for example etc.

Of course it is possible to set sensitivity of throttle so that it does react less at the beginning which I have used sometimes.

7. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

I need to clarify,

rFactor=50%
    rFactor2=100%

In either case, both have to be set to 0% to have perceivable control over wheelspin outside of 1cm of pedal movement.

8. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

The 1 inch or less measurement is what I get in order to hit 80%+ throttle with the default settings in rF1 and rF2. I get that there are different HP/TRQ ranges for different cars, elevations, height above sea level, etc etc etc.

You said that in the real cars you drove that the throttle pedal had less travel then the T500 pedal. I'm simply say that video shows that the pedal travel in a real car is similar to if not a little more. And more importantly, if you look at his throttle play through turns, at about 60% throttle he only sees about 40-50% RPM. That is what I'm comparing to. If I run a V8 mod in rF1, at default settings, I hit that RPM range at 10% throttle input.

That is what I'm saying is not right.

9. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

Linear? Where do you get that from. How do you define linear? If linearity is 1:1, then 3inch pedal movement should be divided by 100 and for each % of movement I should get that % of input, where 50% pedal movement would be 50% throttle, but that is in fact NOT the case. I can hit that 50% with less then 10% throttle input.

The problem that we ultimately have is like Tim and KaptainK are referring to is that in a car at 50% if you hold it there, you'll read line. The pedal is connect to fuel 'spray' not direct throttle input. There's a lag or a ramp up to that RPM. That said, if the game can't properly calculate pedal input/travel to a simulated fuel spray/engine output and it solely relies on direct RPM/engine power without those factors playing apart, then default settings are way off.

I realize I can choose 0%, but what I'm proposing is that 0% should be the defaults, not their current settings. Based on current options, I'd rather have a -25% throttle to have as much control over hp/torque and wheel spin as possible.

10. kaptainkremmen

Are you sure your pedals are ok ;) I don't seem to have this problem. The throttle feels fairly realistic to me. With blipping etc it almost feels less responsive than my road car.

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

I mean the travel when looking at the pedal response curves. There is no progressive curve of any sort to the response. Just a nice straight line from 0 to 100%.
    Feels fine for me, I have no issue driving in any of the sims I own in terms of throttle response and controlling. No issues in RSRBR using a Group B car. No issue with a 600hp GT car, F1, V8 Supercar, etc etc.

In saying that, it is all personal preference, like it seems everything is when it comes to simming. Maybe ISI will give you more adjustablility, who knows. But me and many others have no issues.

12. Minibull

Minibull Member

13. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

LOL

Well, I've been through about 6 different pedal sets over the years from MS Wheel, MS FF Wheel, Logitechs, TSW, G25, and now T500. It was the exact same situation for every one of them. Even those within the league that was stubborn about needing the default setting have finally starting listening to reason and dropped throttle to 0%. Now they all are more consistent and have far less wheel spin and spin outs due to uncontrollable excessive throttle.

Do an experiment for yourself. Find a track with a lot of low speed turns where throttle is very important and then drop throttle sensitivity to 0% and see how much better you can control it. I'm not talking about what you got used to, I'm talking about stepping outside the box and actually feeling a much more controllable, less "twitchy" throttle.

14. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

You may be surprised at just how much more control you have and how much better you'd be. Give it a shot like I suggested above. You may be really suprised!

15. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

Looks like a lot more throttle on then off to me, but again the glaring thing to me is how much pedal travel he has through the 80% RPM range, before he slams the last 10% or so for the 100% throttle input.

Keep those vid's coming. Just makes more point more factual. Love it!

16. jtbo

jtbo Registered

With GTL I had this weird issue, throttle was reacting only after certain point and did go to full throttle really quick.

Cure for that was to remap throttle to another pedal, then map it again to throttle and then it started to work normally.

With tape measure and motec one could easily get real travel amount figured out.

Amount of wheelspin has quite many variables to be able to say lot.

Now think about throttle as a valve, when there is little demand for air, lower rpm, it is lot easier to fill that demand, so when you press less throttle you get maximum sooner than at high rpm, as from that valve certain amount of air can go trough even without fully opening it.

Maybe this is what is happening?

As in reality, you get finer control to throttle at higher rpm, but for me this is problematic as my G25 throttle has poor resistance and feedback, like with any drive by wire pedal, so it is very easy to use too much throttle without knowing it.

I like lot more from cable connected to carb or throttle butterfly as there is more feel to it, one reason why I don't like driving modern cars. I had to once drive Yaris D4D, I could not keep speed steady as it was too much on/off. Don't know if modern race cars are equally bad.

Many race cars have pedal boxes, you can adjust pedals with such, I think that linearity setting is kind of such, so you are delivered one brand new race car, but you have to set pedal box to suit your taste. Like setup for a car too.

17. Minibull

Minibull Member

I tried it, and no it didn't do anything for me. :( I found I was getting nothing with the pedal through the start of corner exit, and then after giving it a bit more, I found a bit too much. And then when I tried the skippys...well no change...seeing as the throttle is max for most of the lap XD

Obviously after a few years of driving with the pedals the way they have been, my muscle memory or whatever is perfectly fine to deal with the linear response curve.
    Cool that it works for you mate, but it doesn't for me :)

18. kaptainkremmen

Throttle response is tied in to so many things. Type of fuel, engine capacity/stroke, Piston size, flywheel weight etc etc. Everyone has personal preferences but I don't see why the adjustability shouldn't be extended if there isn't enough at the moment to suit everyones needs.

19. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Adjustability is not the issue here - there is a standard scale from 0% to 100%, what more do you need.
    The problem (in his eyes) is the default setting. You can't please all people with the same setting... if I like red and you like blue, what should be the default color? I would say leave it as it is or if you change it, change it to what pleases the majority.

20. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Here in Finland, they would settle with purple being what suits majority in that case, it does not matter that nobody ever likes from purple ;)