F3 vs Skippy

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by otirc, Dec 8, 2012.

1. otirc

otirc Registered

Historic F3 is a fantastic car. Skip barber is a super fantastic car.
    Skippy is much more difficult to drive than F3. Is this realistic?
    Car phisics is becoming better and better (Formula 2, Clio, Skippy). Should we expect an update on Historics phisics?

2. rsr427

rsr427 Registered

Skippy car is on street tyres. The skippy has tons of trailing throttle oversteer, but accelerating as you turn in and the rear gets planted.

3. Neuro

Neuro Registered

I would really love to drive a skippy in real, 'coz I think it is just... unrealistic behavior it has. You never see that much of slides in videos, however in game you have to take almost every corner sideways to achieve the fastest lap time. That is just insane and I don't believe that, really. It is indeed very much fun, I like it, but looks so damn unrealistic to me.
    On the other hand, the F3 seems a bit too easy, but I don't know much about those cars so... who do, please enlighten me. :D

4. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Maybe you are racing with default setup.

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

I saw someone post a real race with the Skippys, and it seemed like all of them were twitching and tweaking all over the place, a lot of constant corrections to hold the slides. Seems exactly what has been captured in the game to me.
    I don't really think they are that hard though either. As with anything, give it time and start slow.
    Warm tyres too...I could sorta feel the car slowly just walk wide if I tried to push on the first few laps, and rather than leave me just about to clip the outside rumble strip, it would walk right to the edge of the grass. Also getting some massive slides over the crests XD

6. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

i think the skippy feels very unprecise. doing perfect laps with the F3 is much much easier. the Skippy feels numb in comparison.
    the Skippy is very easy to drive, when you don't take your foot off the throttle. just leave it on there while braking. but in real life they couldn't do that i guess.
    i would have expected it to be much easier to drive, since it is a school car...more like the rTrainer was.

7. Onelug

Onelug Registered

"The Skip Barber Formula 2000 is the perfect car for either a complete rookie or a seasoned expert to hone their skills. A true racers car, it is balanced in such a way that it works well when driven well, and will work badly (often spinning off the track) when driven badly. If you don’t drive with good technique, it punishes you: It teaches you how to best drive almost every race car you will ever drive…"

From technique section: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/skip-barber-2000/

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Well I have to say, I`ve noticed a difference already (albeit a small diiference... so far) in my driving of other cars in rf2 after having some time with the Skippy...

Don`t get me wrong, the Skippy is a frustrating car to get to grips with and by no means have I "mastered" it (probably never will lol) but I`m getting better with it every time I drive it and I have seen improvements in my driving of other cars too, most seen so far in the 370z and the 60`s content, especially the BT20.

The Skippy is an amazing (although quite a challenging) car to drive, really delighted to have in rf2. :)

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I only race with default setup as that's the most realistic.

10. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I agree with this. I think servers should be running fixed setups on these cars as that is what they do with sb's in real life to make the cars as similar as possible. Also, the whole point is to learn how to drive. Not compensate with setup.

11. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

What is your best time in lrp and wich layout?
    ps: even fuel you didn´t change?

12. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I lower fuel sometimes.

60.1 seconds no chicane. Track was rubbered in a bit. It was only me driving for an hour maybe 45 mins.

Regional version.

Edit: for mistake.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  13. willz

willz Registered

which skippy national or regional, and tyres slick or grooved

14. rsr427

rsr427 Registered

See my laps driven in August in the Skip car compared to laps driven in rFactor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KNE3lNUmeE

If I drive the rF2 car just like I do the real thing, the car behaves just like the real thing. If I try to drive the car like sim car, it dances all over the place. If you are accelerating when you turn in, the back end plants itself. Thats the key. It can be trail-braked however in the right turn and if you quick enough hands. I did that almost every lap in the left-hander at LRP in the real car. Mess my pants every time...

15. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

You can't compensate skippy with setup because there are simply not enough settings that would allow you to make any considerable changes. All you can do are basically minor tweaks. So you still need to drive properly.

16. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

What about all the people that come into a server for their first time with the skippy and immediately ask for a setup because they can't drive it and once they get setup they say that car is so much bettter?

17. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Don't know, never seen anyone that was really happy with a received setup. Sure a setup makes a difference I'm just saying you still need to drive properly if you want to record some serious times.
    In the end you will probably find top drivers at the top whatever the setup policy is (fixed or not fixed setups).

18. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I guess what I am trying to say is that if...

1) For purpose of school instruction...
    2) ... the car is setup by default to punish bad technique ...
    3) ... and you change the setup to eliminate or reduce the challenge ...

... then you may defeating the purpose.

19. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

While racing at speed, YES, I agree, the car drives/feels like I expect it. HOWEVER, I have to take exception to one fact and that fact is only at which point I realize I can't drive these things yet. LOL That being, they still need to work on "grip" in the grass. I'm sorry, but at 5mph wit 5-10% throttle (0% throttle sensitivity), I don't care what car it is, it's not going to do donuts on you at that speed/rpm. Now, I get it, I'm not supposed to be in the grass. I'm just not that good at these yet and like many others I'm really working hard on these to train myself to be a better driver all around. Can you, with the experience you've had, honestly tell me that at 5-10mph with only 5-10% throttle that you would spin the car in the grass? It only becomes an issue for me right now because I spend so much time there, JUST TRYING TO GET BACK ON THE TRACK! =)

Seems you're the best person to ask since you've driven these in real life.

Side question. Is it just me, or does anybody else have problems with how the pedals react in game. At default 50% sensitivity, let's say I have 2 inches of pedal movement, the first half inch is roughly 50% of my throttle input. I like that low end RPM/torque curve to be must less sensitive and run my throttle sensitivity at 0%. That makes the first 50% of the pedal cover roughly 70% of my throttle input on the low side. This makes being really precise with the throttle MUCH easier. I would love for ISI to use 0% as whatever their 50% default and give me more room to move as 0% still is WAY too sensitive for some tracks/cars. I've had a 500+ HP street car and run it on both slicks and treaded tires and I can tell you for a FACT that pressing my gas pedal 10% does not cause the tires to break loose.

Thoughts??? ISI???

20. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

You can reduce the challenge but you can't eliminate it so you can't really defeat the purpose in full. In other words you are still learning in the end. Also for some people the default setup is too much of a challenge so it is great that they can reduce it and gradually learn how to drive the skippy. Sure beats quitting because of "undrivable" default setup (that cannot be changed).
    You mentioned people that receive a setup and think it is so much better...I wonder how would they feel about the default setup later when they get to grips with car handling? I know I changed my opinion from "default setup is crap" to "default setup is actually pretty good" after I had a few more laps under my belt.