[WIP] CART 1985

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by ChiefWiggum, Nov 16, 2018.

1. jymp

jymp Registered

Great job Chief, now will the engine sounds be revised ?, on a related note... just read Roger Penske has bought the Indy car series, and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway today.

2. Bostrom

Bostrom Registered

As always, great job. Many many thanks. :)

3. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

someone know the round white/blue/red logo on the nose?

4. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

5. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

NICE!!!!!!!!!!

6. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

Endor, Duncan, Obbzy_XR_ and 10 others like this.
  7. trollray

trollray Registered

Great job mate.
    So many thanks ;)
    Cheers

8. Obbzy_XR_

Obbzy_XR_ Registered

Hi Chief,
    Great job with these cars again. An absolute blast.
    One request though.
    Engine volume level. I have mine set at 22% & the sounds in this mod (the 86 F1 is not quite as loud)
    are MASSIVE compared to practically every other mod. I understand that F1/Cart in the 80s were LOUD,
    but I also value what is left of my hearing (after a multitude of very loud rock concerts. :) ).
    I would hate to think how loud it would be at 100%???

9. Chris Lesperance

I'll have to verify, but I don't recall the sounds being louder than any other mods. I know I don't have to adjust the volume for just this mod.

10. Pacchia

Pacchia Registered

Lol I had always seen this topic marked as Wip I had not noticed it actually had been released in some versions. Going to try tonight!

11. Emery

Emery Registered

Ditto!

12. TheBigDawg

TheBigDawg Registered

on the roadies this car is a beast to drive. you gotta finesse it for sure. ovals could use some work (notes for now) big thing is the right front tire HEATING up (270 on shorts 300 on bigger) but balance wise its decent. know its still wip but this is the next big thing i think to consider. we talked about this Wigg so just posting it for everyone else to see

13. atlantakat

atlantakat Registered

Thank you for this wonderful car set. I ran 100 laps at Indy against the bots yesterday.

Had a blast but here are some nits, mostly about behavior of the AI: estimated laps for fuel level in the set-up menu is off -- a full tank is estimated to go the full 200 laps while fuel usage in game appears about right, AI struggle to keep it off the wall in the short chutes, AI don't react well to yellow flags/safety car, safety car periods only last for a lap so the cars don't have time to cue up, back markers get stuck behind the safety car causing chaotic restarts, AI performance levels don't appear to match historical drivers (Josele Garza and a couple of no-names drive off into the distance while the Penskes are stuck in mid-field), AI dive down/block too aggressively causing unrealistic accidents on the straights.

I gather that much of this relates to the track "AIW" more than the specific car set but I would be ecstatic if these wonderful cars and Indy could be optimized so that a realistic 500 could be run with the AI.

14. Chris Lesperance

I could be wrong, but I do not believe that there is an AI driver .rcd set up. Creating that and adding that in should help with the real driver performance levels

I know some things could also be physics or AI car set up related. At Indy, if you do a practice session, the car will go off into the grass on turn 2 when entering the track. It doesn't have the steering lock to make that corner. Not sure if there is any physics gurus out there that would take a look at these cars? :D

15. Chris Lesperance

After getting a bit of confidence, I'm going to start to turn my attention to getting the PBR on these cars. It's hard to tell but I got an initially start on the Eagle. Although I'm not sure how beneficial it will be as I think the chrome will be too shiny for an aluminum look. Is there a way to have the chrome not as reflective?

@ChiefWiggum, I know you collected the templates for all the cars. Do you happen to have those available? I will need those if I continue as the shadow layer will need to be removed, and then the template will make it easier to do the _region.dds. I know you are starting work on the 1975 F1 cars, so I don't want to take away from that. Although the last AAR Lola skin still needs to be released :)

To Everyone, Let me know if you think this will be beneficial.

20191201180514_1.jpg

atomed, JoeP1, Corti and 4 others like this.
  16. jymp

jymp Registered

Believe it will, look forward to seeing your work, but need to fix the sounds too, Indy cars did not sound as they do in this mod currently.

17. Chris Lesperance

Sound editing is beyond my skill level :( It would be cool to have some updated sounds.

18. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

If you're doing it in devmode, you can adjust all properties of the materials.
    http://localhost:5397/materialeditor/index.html#/

19. jymp

jymp Registered

The material editor looks to be a lot of help, what's the latest Chris ?

20. Chris Lesperance

I haven't done much with it since. I'm working on a painting project now, and then I'll probably take a dive into this. It's just a little daunting with a lot of tedious items to do. I'm not sure how bump maps work with this system as their is not a section for it in the Material Property page.

I'll be able to work on the templates that I have, but it won't be all of them. I also need to figure out, from the reference, what is vinyl and what is paint on the cars from that era