[WIP] CART 1985

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by ChiefWiggum, Nov 16, 2018.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

you might find the engine lasts longer if you lift while upshifting. I haven't driven this mod for quite some time so I could be crossing mods in my memory.

2. AfarNUFC

AfarNUFC Registered

Yeah that's what I do, I have a clutch pedal always lift engage clutch release and back on gas. My technique isn't perfect but should be good enough. For the Indy variant though it's literally 4 up shifts, I've tried exaggerated lifting off and everything but it blows on that first lap pretty much every time. This is definitely not something wrong with my technique, it's an issue, as I said the fix is just to remove Mech Failures but that of course is far from ideal if you like running sim races with some realism.

djvicious likes this.
  3. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Make sure the gear is engage dan clutch disengaged fully before hitting the throttle as overrevving will damage the engine easily. Also only use boost setting 5 only for a few qualifying laps. Boost 5 is not for continuous use.

pkelly likes this.
  4. AfarNUFC

AfarNUFC Registered

I don't think people are understanding the issue here. This has nothing to do with gear change technique. Please try the INDY variant of the car out on an oval for yourselves. If you can get more than a lap out of it at Indy or wherever requires you to get irev high through 6th without the thing bellowing smoke out of the back you are a better person than me. Sure mapping the boost to not max for more than a quali lap is fine restriction (although this is not consistent with sims like Papy's Indycar racing back in the day where you could run full boost for way longer than that, and I would imagine in real life this was also the case) but the issue is, you can't even get that quali lap in, on full boost, without the engine blowing, there is no way that sims reality.

The root of the problem I feel is that the cars were originally just ROAD specced and the engine limitations and breaking points set purely for road course where the top speed is nowhere near that of the oval, usually max around 310 - 320 kph. When the INDY variant was created with speeds in excess of 380 kph there was no adjustment made for this durability, you can argue this is actually historically accurate, but I have a hard time believing the cars back in the day drove Indy at half throttle. The fix appears to be, either backing off a bit on the durability settings for the engines or reducing the INDY variant top speed, or ideally probably a bit of both.