Build 146 tires are alive!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

Lazza explained it fine a few posts above

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Or to put it very simply: graphics are linked to physics. If a situation occurs where the tyre model no longer makes sense, it is possible that some values go crazy as the system is no longer stable. The graphics loosely match the physics, so at some point the graphical model will go crazy too. It's a graphics blow-up as a result of a physics blow-up :) .

3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

So theoretically, you could actually have the tire shape change depending on the physics involved to the point where you could crown the tires with over inflation or have a drag slick increase in size due to centrifugal force and temperature on a burn out?

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Physics must calculate shape of tire in order to simulate contact patch, wear etc. That shape is then applied to 3D model used by rendering engine.

The same goes, for example, for car body. Suspension is being simulated as well as car body movments. So physics engine holds actual position, pitch, roll and heading of car's body. These values are used directly to place 3D model on your screen.

If there's an error in graphics engine, you will see something wrong, while physics will work fine.
    If there's an error in physics engine, you will both feel and see something is wrong, because those bad values from physics will be visualized as they are.

In case of tire blowout, not only you see a big tire on screen but you're also not able to drive this car (not to mention it can be thrown in the air). This pretty much means physics went bananas and graphics engine is only accurately visualizing this physics state.

5. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

Just did a 30min run at LRP w/Uphill Chicane in the C6.R, starting on a full tank (90 liters).

After 30min I had done 33 laps and had 47 liters remaining, so I ran out almost half a tank. I was pushing the whole run and (with an unoptimized setup) running the following times:

Lap 13 - 51.507
    Lap 29 - 51.347 (best)
    Lap 30 - 51.533
    Lap 33 - 51.739

So best lap on lap 30. This was starting with a track fully rubbered in but I was finding the limits for the first 10 laps. I may have been able to go a bit quicker in that sweet spot that it seems to have on the first few laps.

I'm not sure how you guys see actual percentage values for tire wear, but just reading the in-game tire wear indicators I had:

LF - Not quite 2 "notches" worn (so more than 66% of the tire left)
    LR - Worn just a bit less (1 pixel) than the LF
    RF - A bit more than 1 notch worn.
    RR - 1 notch worn

At the end the tires were definitely getting greasy even though I was running close to my best times, but it was harder to run those times consistently. Not sure how they would be at the end of a full fuel stint but it seems they would at least make it through one.

Looks like a promising start to me.

6. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I was using trackmap to see my tire wear. I was running LRP on the normal config (no chicanes) and the track had a light rubber as we had to restart the server because of a some reason I forget. I didn't check my fuel but the amount of laps were pretty much the same give or take some laps. I don't know what an "unoptimized setup" is. I just used the default setup.

7. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

Unoptimized = non-optimal, which is probably the better term. Just means I haven't customized gearing and such to suit the track best, so lap times might not be that great.

In reality a track that's rubbered in will usually cause less tire wear than a green one. The bits of rubber filling in the gaps of the bitumen makes the surface less abrasive, but I don't know if that's in the model.

It's certainly easy enough to ruin a set of tires now, which is why I said I think it's a good start. If you take care of them, even when pushing to 100%, they'll last, but if you start hooning around and sliding or spinning they go to junk pretty quickly.

You may have been turning the front wheels too much on your run if you were using up the LF that much. It's something I've noticed simracers doing a lot over the years, cranking on way too much steering and going way past the slip peaks. In a real car it would abrade the fronts very quickly, assuming it didn't pull a tire off the bead first, and also cause graining. Graining is an even faster way to ruin a tire. You can still have plenty of tread depth but if you've grained them they're junk. I know there was a dev comment that graining may eventually make it into the model and I really hope it does.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, I suppose it makes sense from one point of view (wheel straight = no turn, wheel turned a little bit = tiny bit of turn, wheel turned more = more turn... unfortunately it reaches a point where it's no longer true), and you see people doing it a lot. Bit like cadence braking I suppose... when you see your desired line slipping away it's not easy to tell yourself to straighten the wheel. But it has to be done :)

The corvette tyres include a couple of lines for 'history', no comments I can find in the files but there looks to be a temperature threshold and then you can define the grip drop off for various levels of history. Most straightforward interpretation is that the longer you run above the threshold temp the less grip you end up with (corvette drops to 90% full grip by the end). I haven't yet done a test with ridiculous values to confirm it works.

9. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

did a 30min race last with the clio @ Sebring modified and on the final lap final turn I went in hot, the left front gave out and almost lost complete control of the car I had to counter steer to the finish because the cars was pulling left it was crazy. So Im not sure what that was but it felt like a blow out to me and the car reacted as such.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Are there tire blowouts ?

11. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

IDK im confused but something happened to my tire last night

12. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I really believe there are but it may not be visual yet. I use trackmap when racing and there is alot of info being relayed. One thing I noticed once was I messed up and in place of where my tire should be was a white box with a black circle in it. I took it to be my tire gone but infact that was not the case. When your tire is gone in place of where your tire should be, in trackmap, is nothing. So I think blowouts or flat tires are indeed in the physics model. Whether they are in the graphics models is another story.

13. SVO

SVO Registered

I agree with Marvin. I hit a barrier with the corvette which effectively killed my steering. Otherwise, the tire and car damage 'looked' non-existent.

14. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

After the race I went back to the replay and watched my tire and didn't see the anything abnormal so you are most likely correct. The moral of the story is take car of your tires. If I have time later I will look at my motec data for the race to see what happened

15. slingshot

slingshot Registered

Sorry for a simple question within a very technical discussion, But is the tire wear on by default ? In other words if you have car set to invulnerable can you still trash the tires?

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Tyre wear is on if you do not set it off (there is own section for tyre wear where you can set how much tyre wear you want).

17. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

What scale tyre wear are you lot using to get these results? Also what is the minimum laps required for AI cars to require a pit stop?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

18. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I usually use high tyre wear because I race short races. For example in 15min race with X7 tyre wear tyre condition can go from 100% to 60%.

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

The tire wear works on some cars & tracks but not others right ??

20. KILL BILL

KILL BILL Registered

For Corvette? :)