Build 146 tires are alive!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Feb 4, 2013.

1. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Yes, that example was with Corvette :)

2. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Does this make the AI also required a pit?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

3. KILL BILL

KILL BILL Registered

How? I have to normal wear of tires, remains 30-50% for 15 minutes, with careful driving... With Corvette :)

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Apparently not careful enough :) Smooth driving will help the tires last as will a proper setup that is designed to conserve tires and give good lap times.

5. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

My comments about tire wear after two 30 min races at Croft with Vette:

Has anyone better info for differences between vehicles? On some mods wear is affecting grip and on others not?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
  6. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

With normal wear, Corvette on a set of slicks lasted 30 minutes around Sepang.

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I have noticed that I have to watch my tire wear in practice and change my driving technique in some cars (specifically the F2's) to balance the tire wear.

8. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Spinning n locking up, going into the gravel is a no-no.

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Also, I can't carry too much speed into the corner and I have to concentrate more on using the trailing throttle oversteer to induce the turn and throttle application to make the rears come around or I don't get enough heat into the rears and I end up eating the front tires. It's much more necessary in rF2 than older sims to pay attention to all this because of the tires.

Also, flat spotting is a no-no FINALLY! In older sims the best way to corner was to lock them up, release and slide through the corner in a puff of smoke. rF2 punishes you for this- which is something I have wanted in a sim from day 1.

10. Nazirull Safry Paijo

yes....we ran the c6r last week in Essington and Sepang 1 hour race...no hotlapping during the race, unlike last time hehehe

11. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

I remember someone (cdnracer?) writing few days ago that changing tire pressure doesn't make any difference in the game, is that so?

12. Nazirull Safry Paijo

yup...no noticable difference. Camber changes somehow does.

13. BYF

BYF Registered

I've been driving the skip barber around lime rock the last few days, for some reason the car lacks grip in the dry and the tyres are screaming with very little wheel lock used, it's like driving in the wet on cold tyres.

I've tried it in the rain and the car feels more predictable with more grip and when it does slide it's easier to catch, my wet laptimes are slightly faster than in the dry.

I wonder if this is some kind of bug? where the wet track grip is somehow stuck on...

14. Hectari

Hectari Registered

The regional tyres are actually used as wets for the national version. It's not much of a surprise that they work better in the wet than dry, especially when you look at the grooving on them. I haven't tried the skip in the wet though.

I would expect that you would run faster laps in the dry with wet tyres but overheat them very quickly.

On that note, are the tyres currently being cooled significantly by the wet and harder to heat up/overheat?

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Were you using the National version or the other version of the skippy? One version has slicks, the other has street tires. Makes a lot of difference.

16. BYF

BYF Registered

I was unaware there were two versions, the only tyre available in car setup was for "treaded" tyres, they're however like driving on ice in the dry, anymore than 20 degrees of wheel lock the limit of the tyre is reached.

I'll have to try the slick version next time I play.

Thanks for the info.

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

When you select the car, choose the tune option and you can choose the national version which has slicks.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Some (maybe most/all) ISI wet tyres have increased grip in the wet compared to in the dry as far as the TGM is concerned - the thing is this also interacts with the track's wet and dry grip, so probably 'usually' the wets will still produce a little less grip in the wet than they do in the dry. But a track maker could mess that balance up.

I don't know that tyres are cooled by a wet track, certainly if you set a wet tyre up to make it wear away on a dry track it won't last too long on a wet track either. I think there is still more coming for wet vs dry configuration.

19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Lazza, wet tires are most definitely cooled by the water on the wet track. They are designed so that they can reach their optimum temperatures in the cold environment of the wet surface. Running them on a dry track they will overheat and wear out rapidly. They will have better grip than dry tires, just not for long.

20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Wet tires on dry tarmac will have less grip than dry slicks on tarmac from the beginning. Wet tires are treaded and have less contact area with the road. Even treaded dry tires will have more contact patch. Plus the soft wet compound will over heat rapidly causing the tires surface to gel and lose grip. Try a lap or two on dries and wets at any dry track. I don't agree that wet tires will have better grip even for a shirt period. You won't be able to put up a fast lap with wet tires on that dry track.