* AI Learning - Step by Step Guide *

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Mar 3, 2015.

1. daguru

daguru Registered

you are not alone

2. Stepy

Stepy Registered

Does this still work in 2023 ?

Florian Dubiel likes this.
  3. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

Last time I tried this a few years ago it worked. However, I don't ever do this. It is much better to make good AIW files. It is a shame the game doesn't allow AIW files like setups (i.e. outside of the game MAS files). A good AIW takes time to make by racing with the AI (from the back) and watching the cars, watching replays etc. and then making small adjustments.

Hazi, Stepy and davehenrie like this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Agreed, also an AI line for one type of car may be very unsuitable to different kinds of cars. Having custom AI files that we could simply download and activate without worrying about mas files or dev mode would be a blessing.

sampopel and Stepy like this.
  5. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

Custom AIW can be achieved by adding layouts to a track. But it means the track author has to test with different classes of cars. It would be much better if a hybrid league admin or car set author could create the AIW for his series and publish them. Asking for the track to be repackaged after is a difficult process to manage. I do this for my personal use but obviously I cannot publish tracks with updated AIW since they are not my work. Packaging isn't that difficult but I ended up writing some tools, batch files etc. to do it and then I add each track to a Visual Studio solution so I have an overview.

pkelly likes this.
  6. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

As for the learning, I have found that if the AIW isn't close, track learning takes what feels like forever to complete.

7. Stepy

Stepy Registered

Just after doing learning, don`t see any difference they aren`t any quicker............

8. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

Did you follow the steps? I think you have to copy the learning file for each AI car The wisdom file thing is different.

9. Stepy

Stepy Registered

Done that only tried on one track so far.

10. Marcwan

Marcwan Registered

So this isn’t still relative in 2023 then?

11. Florian Dubiel

Florian Dubiel Registered

good question ‍...nobody knows

12. sampopel

sampopel Registered

A bit like talent (.rcd) files then? There's various info about a number of attributes that can be assigned to each AI driver but it seems most make very little or no difference (maybe speed, that's about it), so the suspicion is they're not used in the game.

13. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

Talent file have a huge affect on AI behavior. I posted some info on this in this forum. Speed step, for example, completely changes how the AI cut corners and follow each other. A good RCD can make the difference between AI running into each other, running into walls and driving great laps.
    I think this subject on learning is something most folks do not do since it is better to modify AIW. It is on my list to try it again since I know it worked a few years ago. But I decided it didn't do enough and went to AIW and RCD modifications instead.

14. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

15. sampopel

sampopel Registered

Sorry, should have explained I was referring only to the individual driver parameters (Aggression, Reputation, Courtesy, Composure, Speed, QualifySpeed, WetSpeed, StartSkill, Crash, Recovery, CompletedLaps, MinRacingSkill). My experience so far is similar to what others have also stated in other threads, I'm struggling to see their impact (other than possibly speed).

I suspect you're referring to the generic/default parameters for StepDistance, StepSpeed, etc, which I've not explored.

16. dosequis56

dosequis56 Registered

Right. I use those values too, but what I have found more useful is to divide the cars into teams and giving them weaker motor params or bad setups for certain tracks. For example, give AJ Almendinger a great road course setup but poor setups for Charlotte, Dover, etc.

17. Matheus Pucci

Matheus Pucci Registered

hey guys, nice tutorial here but i'm having some issues. I did the #2 learning process at Baku and the AI improved a lot, not only the laptime but the racing line, not crashing where they were crashing (castle turn for example). I click on "next session" and then get out of the game but when i come back they act like have learned nothing. The WIS file is in the folder but the AI just keep on crashing like before and then i have to make the #2 again. Is anything i am doing wrong?

18. DiggerHawk

DiggerHawk Registered

I think you have to click "Finish Session" for the data to be saved. Otherwise you get the wis file created but it with have just the headings with out any values. That's how it works for me anyway.

19. Matheus Pucci

Matheus Pucci Registered

Thanks for the reply. I tried "finish session" yesterday but the result was the same. I've noticed something weird: It doesn't matter if i'm playing with Studio 397 Cars and tracks or modded cars and tracks, the ai will have clean practice and quali sessions but in the race they will change their lines going off track during some braking points and then turn. If there is a barrier they will crash during the braking zone when they go out. Racing is impossible right now. It was working fine till a few days ago. If anyone could help me, i would appreciate.

20. Stepy

Stepy Registered

What track are trying to train them on ? after you have trained them did you change the "Autocalibrate AI Mode":2, back to "0" ?