* AI Learning - Step by Step Guide *

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Mar 3, 2015.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I mean I mentioned it in a thread ages ago and no one responded...by that I mean from the community here not ISI as I wasn't looking for their direct help.

Anyway this thread is for AI Learning Questions & Help (not files) so on that note can everyone follow the Guide OK? first one I've ever done so if it needs a bit more text/pictures just shout and I'll tweak it where needed, thanks.

2. Harmermania

Harmermania Registered

Thanks MarcG for putting this together for us! Very much appreciated.

3. Emery

Emery Registered

I've wondered if there was a way to apply the learning files directly to the AIW, such that a trackbuilder could improve the AIW in general (or per mod).

4. nextacyn

nextacyn Registered

+1 !

5. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Yes i can, thanks a lot. Very clear explanation which will help a lot of people when having trouble with AI behaviour :cool:

6. Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK Registered

This thread should be stickied!

7. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

This might be a stupid question, but what is the difference between running mode 1 or mode 2 apart? In mode 1 you only run one Ai, but in mode 2 you run them all? Why is this for? Thanks

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Mode 1 is for let the (one) AI learn only, 2 is for everyday-use where AI learns automaticly in every training/quali-session.
    2 is the mode that I recommend here for years. You have to worry about nothing in this mode and AI improves the more they drive (in this session).
    In mode 2 they create also .WIS-files but only after min 24 laps (or so).

9. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

So with mode 1 only one AI driver learns? But with mode 2 all the AI driver learns? So it's best to do mode 2 then?

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yes

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Updated First post to include:

- Both #1 & #2 use Different algorithms, this means that #1 may actually work better at some tracks than #2 and vice versa.

and

#1 step 5)
    For this file to work with all cars you have to manually copy the INI file to all the other Individual Car Folders, this way each individual car will read the same MILLS_INNERLOOPC.ini file when the track is loaded.

Thanks to MikeZ/ISI for the clarification.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

not necessarily, see above post.

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, and this is seriously stupid. ISI needs to implement a central folder for these files that all cars read.

14. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Mhh, sure 1 and 2 uses different algorithms, but I don´t get what this could have to do with the track!?? :confused:

Can one use "1" fixed and run a complete raceweekend with this?

Edit: in my understanding "1" goes "deeper" or is more detailed (that´s why it takes longer, or doesn´t it?), so "1" should always give the better result in the end?

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

slightly annoying yes, seriously stupid? no, it takes all of 10seconds to copy one INI file to the rest of the folders.

Re the Track I'm just repeating what MikeZ told me and if anyone knows he does ;)

No #1 is purely for One car in Practice Only, running in Race won't make any difference at all.

Depends on the AIW, if it's a Good AIW then I've found that generally #1 will only take a few laps to complete, Poor AIW and it takes much longer and sometimes doesn't finish at all (that's when you have to type FINISH to force the AI to complete the Learning and create the INI file).

Basically the way I see it is #1 is "Quicker" to complete and does the job just fine in most cases, #2 is more of a Robust Learning for the AI (hence all the cars need to be done seperatley and for much longer). What you chose to do is up to you, personally I'd do #1 first and Test, if the AI are still misbehaving or not quite "right" then I'd give #2 a go, but not forgetting the thousands of other variables that could affect the AI at a given point on a given track.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

So it makes more sense for you that tens of thousands of users have to check dozens of folders constantly in case new wisdom files show up and then populate dozens of folders with them if they do? It's not 10 seconds, either.

That is stupid and sorry, but the other 99.99999999999% of us who are not living and breathing rF2 AI Learning like you are would prefer a sane and user-friendly approach. If the function is automatic, so should the population of the files.

I suspect ISI plans to do something else with this in the future, so haven't bothered to make it user-friendly. But it doesn't change the fact that almost no one would bother to deal with this in the real world.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I was not referring to wisdom files I was referring to the one ini file, if you're attempting AI learning then you should know how to copy and paste one file to another folder, in this case with the clios it takes 10 seconds.

This thread is intended to help those that want to do AI learning...it also helps if you know how to copy and paste!

If you have an issue with the way ISI has coded this then I suggest you email them directly to vent your frustration.

18. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Other individual car folders where? I have HG6_28 and HG6_UPGRADES folders under \Documents\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\HG6_car with NEVA_RING_FULL.ini inside HG6_28 and trackconfigNeva Ring 2006.ini inside HG6_UPGRADES which has only...

Code:
    //[[gMa1.002f (c)2015    ]] [[            ]]
    "Neva Ring 2006":
    Model=0
    ...inside but NEVA_RING_FULL.ini has what looks to be useful coordinate data. So do I copy and paste all car folders from installed directory to here and THEN copy NEVA_RING_FULL.ini to each of those folders or do I copy NEVA_RING_FULL.ini to installed directory folders. You get the idea. The above instructions are unclear. I will fiddle and surely figure it out but would be better to be clear or provide example in OP.

Many thanks in advance...

Edit - I suspect I need to create folders under settings to match VEH file names and then copy .ini to that. I'll test but again documentation could be more clear...

Thanks for this amazing guide :)

Edit #2 - It appears to work as I suspected. Doesn't solve my problem, though :( Going to keep at it...

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2015
  19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

aahh yeah seen a possible issue there, thanks for pointing it out I'll fix it up later with an added screenshot for clarity.

20. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

:cool: Another question that came up is what to do if have both .ini and .wis files such as when you try method 1 first but don't get good results so then use method two. Not sure which the engine gives priority to so I just deleted all the .ini files so might also be good to mention if it is known which takes precedence or it is recommended to not have both etc etc. Thanks again for pulling this info together. Should be a sticky. Now to read the test of the thread :p