* AI Learning - Step by Step Guide *

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Mar 3, 2015.

1. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Update:
    I ran this again on another computer (my rF2 client) and it is now working.
    The first PC which it did not work on I use as a rF2 dedi server or 2nd rF2 PC.
    Which files can I copy to the dedi server when the AI Calibration on the client is finished ?
    Thanks for the help so far ;)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

4)

For Confirmation go to your \RFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\ISI_Renault_ClioCup_2010 folder and you'll see a List of the Cars (or just One) and their respective Folder. Inside one of the Folders there will be the following file:
    MILLS_INNERLOOPC.ini
    This indicates the Learning Process was completed.

5)
    For this file to work with all cars you have to manually copy the INI file to all the other Individual Car Folders, this way each individual car will read the sameMILLS_INNERLOOPC.ini file when the track is loaded.

Finally go back to your player.JSON file and set Autocalibrate back to 0:
    "Autocalibrate AI Mode":0,

3. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Thanks, all has seen to go to plan so far and a Malasia.ini file was made in a 2017_GROS folder.
    I copied Malasia.ini into the Mod folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\ACFL_RF2_APEX) but only the Grosjean car follows the track now in Single Mode, the rest drive off the track.
    It took an hour for the AI Calibration to reach 6% when I typed FINISH.
    I ccopied the folder 2017_GROS to the dedi server and this car stays on the circuit now.
    I suppose this means I have to Calibrate each of the 19 cars left in order to get the correct folder names.

4. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Thanks, all has seen to go to plan so far and a Malasia.ini file was made in a 2017_GROS folder.
    I copied Malasia.ini into the Mod folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\ACFL_RF2_APEX) but only the Grosjean car follows the track now in Single Mode, the rest drive off the track.
    It took an hour for the AI Calibration to reach 6% when I typed FINISH.
    I ccopied the folder 2017_GROS to the dedi server and only this car stays on the circuit now in Multiplayer.
    I suppose this means I have to Calibrate each of the 19 cars left in order to get the correct folder names

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Well, the autocalibrate cant solve problems with worse done aiw pathes (Track), or missing talent files (Mod).

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I think you can save some time if you go to tuning options and click on create folder as if you were creating your own skin. After that paste your callibration file in all if them. You will have to go one by one but at least you don't have to be loading the track and performing the learning.

ceecee likes this.
  7. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Juergen and SPASKIS, mission virtually accomplished.
    I made 20 folders with the name 2017_(first four letters of drivers name), copied the MALASIA.INI file (made over an hour with one AI, 2017_GROS) into each folder.
    I then moved these 20 folders to the same place on the dedi server (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\ACFL_RF2_APEX).
    I see at least four to six cars will have to be recalibrated (due a folder driver name problem), the rest seem fine now.
    Without you guys helping out, this idea would have gone in the bin !
    Thanks to all of you for the assistance and have a good weekend ! ;)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    SPASKIS and Juergen-BY like this.
  8. Jon

Jon Registered

Just thought I'd share my experience using the autocalibrate 1 method at Spa '66 for the Brabham BT20.

Basically, every car (I tried five in total) crashed at Stavelot by clipping the haystacks on the left. Those who were able to continue driving then crashed again at the exact same spot the following lap (one in fact tried to continue driving without his front left wheel but crashed again at the exit of the corner).

There was one exception, John Hordees. He didn't hit it the second time and continued for about an hour and a half and reached about 280 metres off, but sadly crashed which ended his test run. I typed in 'Finish' in the chat box to see if he had at least done enough to learn the track, and he responded that his next lap would be his last. Unfortunately there was to be no next lap as he was in the paddock missing a few wheels.

Watching the AI drive was like watching a human; I cannot emphasise just how impressive the AI is, albeit I suspect more aggressively than I think they actually were in those days, although as per the instructions I had set aggression to 50.

But there is clearly an error in the AIW of Spa '66 (perhaps the haystacks were added in after it was done?). I've got the replay in case any developer would like to see it.

9. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Spa66 is one long track to wait for AI to do their stuff !
    Luckily for me, I did not have to start finding out how to change AIW's, if this is possible outside of the track maker?
    On Sepang, I let Hamilton run again and made it to 6,9 m after an hour which I FINISHed.
    I agree it is very impressive watching the AI improving their rounds !
    We have not run a full race yet but this is set for Friday, however I have never seen the AI drive so smooth.
    However if they run in procession in the race , I am thinking of AICalibrating one car per team and sharing the INI file for the 2 cars (10 teams) as I think they have different engines/chassis/talent files.
    Anybody know if this will be worthwhile ?
    Better to ask here before spending 10 hours AICalibrating each circuit !

Jon likes this.
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Try a lower aggression, open wheelers are better with 25 or less so that *may* help. (I'll need to adjust the first post apologies for not making that clear).

Jon likes this.
  11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

If best to run the calibration for each different type of Car (engine, chassis, whatever) otherwise the AI won't utilise the learning correctly, you can share ini files for identical cars just fine.

ceecee likes this.
  12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

*Disclaimer* just a quick note that perhaps a Build release since I posted these guides may of broken the learning, Studio397 may of changed something, a bug may of occurred and is yet to be fixed.
    At time of writing everything worked fine but I have no reason to believe anything is broken, just making you aware that things can change unexpectedly :)

Jon and ceecee like this.
  13. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Thanks for the input, MarcG,
    If I find the time to get to it this week, I will post my findings.
    Your guide was instrumental in getting me started and without it, I could not have proceeded.
    Much obliged !

MarcG likes this.
  14. Jon

Jon Registered

No problem, I did consider that. In fact I was even considering setting it to 0 because drivers in those days really weren't aggressive at all. The AI was driving like a maniac :)

Before trying again, would you recommend 25 or 0 aggression?

In response to your later post, than I believe it to be the case with autocalibrate set to 2. I noticed it's not in the comments section in the player.json file, and I read a post from a long-term member that wisdom files are no longer being created.

A real pity that the AI, which is quite simply remarkable, seems to have been left on the sidelines. The CEO said in an interview that he is ambitious, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to be when the ambitious side of rFactor has already been done at multiple levels; it just requires a bit of love and fine-tuning.

15. Jon

Jon Registered

Yeah! It started with them being about 700 metres off. It felt like I was watching a live race, I stopped breathing every time they were about to enter Stavelot because I didn't want to keep repeating the process :)

It's regrettable that there is no footage of that corner being taken on YouTube in the sixties, most of the highlights only really cover the start/finish line. Seems to be a real shortage of cameras on that track in those days.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Well it's generally perceived that 25 or less for Open Wheelers is best, try 25, 15, 5 and see what happens if it makes any difference at all.

As for Autocalibrate 2 I just ran a very quick test and it's working OK, IIRC it was always a bit Hit 'n Miss depending on the Mod and Track.

Jon likes this.
  17. Jon

Jon Registered

I might try for autocalibrate 2 in that case. I saw your argument against it was that they produced a too perfect driving, but crashes were less common in those days, most retirements seem to come from mechanical failures. The exception was the Belgium GP in '66, but the crashes were almost all due to the sudden rain storm (sadly none of which was caught on film).

MarcG likes this.
  18. cb_krueger

cb_krueger Registered

What is about the "Auto Line Smoothing" ?
    Is there an influence of the learning process by this command?

19. fbiehne

fbiehne Registered

Somehow the AI won't learn tracks, although I did it exactly as described:
    1. Autocalibrate: 1 in the player.json
    2. Only practice, add one AI in the session

Now there should be the message from the AI but there is nothing. It just starts to drive somewhen until the time is up. No messages at all. When I look if an .ini has been saved in the specific track folder there's nothing.

20. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Its working, you dont want to enable Practice, leave all sessions off to get the Test day...and start with one AI pre activated.

d0nd33 and fbiehne like this.