* AI Learning - Step by Step Guide *

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Matheus Pucci

Matheus Pucci Registered

Yeah, i've tried this as well and didnt work. What is bothering me is the fact that the ai just cant race anymore even on tracks that i used to race a few days ago. It's a very strange behaviour. I dont know what to do anymore.

2. Wade

Wade Registered

Help, I'm stuck. I don't see a chat window.
    And the AI is not getting faster over multiple laps. I believe I did the method 1 steps right.
    I'm not getting any messages, and I have no way to type "FINISH"

3. Matheus Pucci

Matheus Pucci Registered

I got stuck with method #1 as well. To see the chat you must click on drive, because the chat only appears when you're at the track. You can turn your engine off and wait the AI to finish. About writing "Finish", i had the same problem. I cant type anything. And i still have that problem with the AI line during races as i said before :(

Wade likes this.
  4. Hinyaldee

Hinyaldee Registered

Have you manged to make it work, pleae ? Ic'm very interested

5. Lars

Lars Registered

seems like your files got corrupted if the ai is racing strange on every track now.

you should rename your player.json file and restart game to create a fresh one. also verify integrity of game files under properties/local files wont hurt.

6. Matheus Pucci

Matheus Pucci Registered

Unfortunately, no :(

7. Matheus Pucci

Matheus Pucci Registered

Yeah, i've tried it and game "got better" but with some mods and tracks the issue still there

8. Hinyaldee

Hinyaldee Registered

Aaw. I'll give it a try too when I can

9. Jonas

Jonas Registered

I just run BTCC cars around Brands Hatch Indy, with Autocalibrate AI Mode":2
    And all settings according to this thread.
    I did run them for 100 laps, and did click next session.
    And when I do a search for the file "MILLS_INNERLOOPC.wis" in windows, there is 0 result on that.
    And I did check manually to, to see if there was any file witch that name inside my "\RFactor2\UserData\player"
    No file with that name.

10. Tomislav Leskovic

Tomislav Leskovic Registered

Look for Brands Hatch Indy wisdom file...as that is the track you mentioned you used not Mills Metro

11. Kronzky

Kronzky Registered

Here's what works in 2024...
    (I have not been able to get mode 1 to work, but since #2 is supposed to be better anyway, I guess that's not a big loss.)
    There were a lot of myths floating around regarding the proper procedure, but after a bit of testing it looks like the whole "Finish session / Next session" is not needed after all. If the session was long enough, you can exit it right away, and the wis file will be saved.
    What IS important though, is that each driver does at least 23-24 laps (enough to require one pit stop). If it's shorter than that (or if you're driving the car yourself), the wis file is created, but it contains only the headers for each corner, but no data.
    I also noticed that it sometimes won't create wis data if the fuel consumption isn't turned off. (This might have to do with the amount of fuel in your own tank —if it's not enough for 24 laps— but I didn't pursue that any further. Just turn off fuel consumption, and you should be ok.)

I would suggest to assign yourself a different car series that the one that is being trained, as otherwise the car you're driving will not record any training data.
    (I've attached a sample file that contains proper data for reference.)

P.S. I did run into an issue with the old Monaco track, where the AI would refuse to do enough laps to require a pit stop, so I never got a proper wis file for it. Not quite sure what was going on there...

Attached Files:

• wis.zip
      File size:
      1.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    Corgan, PedroJ, atomed and 4 others like this.
  12. Kronzky

Kronzky Registered

Here's some more food for thought — Despite of what one might expect, the lap times DO NOT get better the longer the training session is! In fact, they get worse!
    The best lap times are normally achieved within the first 10 laps of a training session.

Here's a record of some 400 lap training sessions. As you can see, the best lap times are done in right at the start, and then they go up.
    The only thing that additional laps achieve is to make the lap times more consistent (there are fewer wiggles in the graph), but they're way slower than those at the beginning:
    [​IMG]

One may suspect that the learned "wisdom" isn't applied until a new session is started (or the game itself restarted),
    but even that is not the case.
    Here's two charts where the game was restarted after 100 laps and 23 laps each.
    Same result. Fastest time at the beginning, and then it slows down:
    [​IMG]

I really don't know what to make of this...
    Perhaps longer sessions make sense on tracks that have a really crappy AIW? (I did the tests on 60's Spa, Brianza & Östereichring.)
    But for any decently prepared track it seems like a waste of time to do more than one 23lap session.

Corgan, atomed and wowbaggr like this.