Formula Two Discussion

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by HumanZob, May 20, 2013.

1. mikecart

mikecart Registered

same here

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I am struggling with soft FFB that doesn't give me enough info on the car on top of issues with steering. I noticed now I have to turn my wheel quite a bit more to make the same turns, with nothing else having changed in the controller settings. This combo destroys any attempt of trying to drive the car.

3. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

FFB is busted.

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I have the exact same feeling; FFB is weak and strikes me as very odd. I don't like it one bit and therefore I haven't driven the car much at all. It's such a shame.

5. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

F2 around Nords is my favourite combo at the moment.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I either ignored, forgotten or never really gave it much effort yet but now that I have, I agree with all of the above, this mod is frigging great!

7. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

I found weird ffb trying F2 these days. Looks like it is inverted.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

In certain situations, graphs show forces going the opposite direction at slow speeds in real life, and the physics (mostly due to car setup) and even driver feedback confirmed it. We've said this a few times.

9. CRex

CRex Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I believe most of us don't have any problem with the notion, that this could happen under certain circumstances. Some of us aren't even looking for explanation, because they understand what could cause this.
    What we're curious about is if the extent of this effect we're observing in rF2 matches (resembles) the real world car.

The answers we got so far were usually explanations what could cause this. No confirmation, though.
    If I recall, you also said that Luciano had no comments on FFB, while testing, but no comment isn't exactly confirmation that everything's ok. I just could be something he didn't pay much attention to or thought it's because of hardware you used.
    For example - I'm a bit of an expert on computer graphics, but I'm not reporting any graphical issue I find with rF2. Simply because I assume it's so obvious that you already know about it :)

Maybe instead of theory, it would be much simpler to get straight answer from an F2 driver or engineer, that steering wheel gets pulled towards inside in tight corners, like id does in rF2. That would be the confirmation we seek.

I don't want to come through as stubborn or not able to read simple information :) I must say I'm confused, though. I actually wrote this post, because in quoted text above you say "driver feedback confirmed it". Lat time I asked , you only told that Luciano had no comments on it. I'm a bit of a spoiled software engineer and I don't just take lack of comment as confirmation :) Maybe there's something I don't know and you got other feedback, or maybe my memory fails me and I remember it incorrectly - in that case sorry to bother. But I just can't recall getting it confirmed by drivers or engineers. Not the theory, but this particular behavior in these particular situations.

No pressure, but I believe this FFB behavior in F2 bothers more people than just me, despite that we know it could happen under some circumstances :) We just don't know if every single tight corner is such a circumstance.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013
  11. 88mphTim

I actually think I might have been sent the graph when I first saw this raised and asked a dev... Let me try to find it. Pretty sure there was also specific mention in the f2 test, as for the first one we had the caster setup wrong (outside allowed in the series) as they noticed it wasn't doing it. Fixing our setup, it then wasn't mentioned again that I recall.

Sent using Tapatalk - excuse the short post, etc

12. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Thank you. That would be much appreciated.

FFB behavior of F2 raises enough suspicion for some, to deny plausibility to rF2 tire / suspension model or accuracy of car data. I try stay more open-minded about things I'm not expert on. I just want to learn more in such situations from people who know for sure.

You could say the same story happened with iRacing's NASCAR tires, which gave better grip on an outlap, while being cold :) Many condemned these tires straight away.

I think community needs straight answers from someone with authority in such cases. These are not software developers, but race drivers and engineers only. Otherwise community gets easily divided and it's not very nice.

13. tjc

tjc Registered

I also feel that the ffb has never been right (or felt right) to me with this car.

It`s always felt way too light with not enough coming through the wheel to get a decent feel for the car in any way.

I`ve always told myself it must feel like that in real life as Luciano was working on it and fair enough, if the car really feels like this, then so be it.

I do have a hard time accepting that though as I find the ffb so weak I keep thinking it just can`t be like that in reality...

Confusing lol.

It does stop me from driving a car I really like though...

14. 88mphTim

Yeah I saw that as well, but found it confusing as I regularly see (every race) nascar drivers do an outlap, timed lap, then not bother with lap two when qualifying. I think sometimes the confirmation (or at least an answer to the aspect they're raising as evidence) is right in front of people and they still don't see it.

15. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

As long as Polyphony doesn't hook up ISI with Hoover and Dirt Devil, that could be cool.

16. 88mphTim

You're not aware that the F2 champion tested the F2 car on multiple occasions for us? We do this stuff already... F2 chose to publicize it, most cars we cant say who tested.

We have a former F1 world champion among our more regular testers as well, it's not like there's no driving experience testing our physics.

And in relation to it not being possible to recreate the world in a PC and run it realtime, isn't that a given? You can read the technology/cars page at imagespaceinc.com to see what we do.

17. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Is it true, Tim, that some F1 teams use rFactor Pro currently in their team simulators? Do any other race series use rFP? Also, what technology does ISI use to get data about the tracks they make for rF2? Do they use LIDAR or GPS data or something else?

18. 88mphTim

Yes.

Series? Or teams from other series? Yes, if teams from other series (types of racing, both open wheel and other types of cars).

Standard surveying techniques. You know, the ones they used to build monuments in Egypt thousands of years ago with great success. :) We don't scan, no, not for rF2.

19. TJones

TJones Registered

Wow didn't expect this! I'm really curious now, is he still active? :)

20. 88mphTim

No.